2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

There would be no point in trading him, he’s the kind of player you are hoping to get back in a trade. But we already have him lol. 

I can’t think of any player I would want back in exchange, with the exception of maybe 10-12 elite players who are similarly on their teams’ untouchable lists. 

I feel like extending him should be a top priority. Question is this, have you bought in fully where you want to lock him in long term, or are you giving him a shorter deal to see if this year’s results are the outlier rather than a picture of what you’ll get in the future? 

As risky as these deals can be (and as often as they rarely work out over the long-term), I would roll the dice and offer Bratt 5+ years...he might seem like a relative bargain in a few years.  He really seems to have come into his own and more importantly, he clearly has chemistry with both Hughes and Hischier.  When you have a young winger who's producing and working well with your young centers, why take that weapon away from them?  We've all been chatting about how Hughes and Hischier need talented wingers to play with...it's looking like the answer might very well be coming from within (Bratt, Mercer, hopefully Holtz).  We'll see if Sharangovich can become more consistent.  

At this point, it's much more about ridding the team of deadwood...as far as Devils wingers go, we know which two absolutely fit that bill.   

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As risky as these deals can be (and as often as they rarely work out over the long-term), I would roll the dice and offer Bratt 5+ years...he might seem like a relative bargain in a few years.  He really seems to have come into his own and more importantly, he clearly has chemistry with both Hughes and Hischier.  When you have a young winger who's producing and working well with your young centers, why take that weapon away from them?  We've all been chatting about how Hughes and Hischier need talented wingers to play with...it's looking like the answer might very well be coming from within (Bratt, Mercer, hopefully Holtz).  We'll see if Sharangovich can become more consistent.  

At this point, it's much more about ridding the team of deadwood...as far as Devils wingers go, we know which two absolutely fit that bill.   

the question becomes, are you sold an him continuing to be what he is? Last season we would have said that about Sharangovich and Zacha. Granted Yegor was a rookie and that would have been reckless, but Zacha put up good numbers. 

My personal opinion is yes, Bratt has shown he has the talent to produce, and if you play him with good players, he'll produce even better. Me personally, yup, I'm in long term. 

1 minute ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Vancouver can eat a dick if they think they can get Smith for peanuts.

They should probably just leave Smith here and just eat the peanuts. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

There would be no point in trading him, he’s the kind of player you are hoping to get back in a trade. But we already have him lol. 

I can’t think of any player I would want back in exchange, with the exception of maybe 10-12 elite players who are similarly on their teams’ untouchable lists. 

I feel like extending him should be a top priority. Question is this, have you bought in fully where you want to lock him in long term, or are you giving him a shorter deal to see if this year’s results are the outlier rather than a picture of what you’ll get in the future? 

100% agreed. To the last question, I want to lock him in long term. Last year we all expected more from him and it didn't quite work out, but this season he's delivered.  He's 23, so I'd offer a 7 year deal for 45M.  Would put him at a little less than what the Captain is making. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

the question becomes, are you sold an him continuing to be what he is? Last season we would have said that about Sharangovich and Zacha. Granted Yegor was a rookie and that would have been reckless, but Zacha put up good numbers. 

My personal opinion is yes, Bratt has shown he has the talent to produce, and if you play him with good players, he'll produce even better. Me personally, yup, I'm in long term. 

They should probably just leave Smith here and just eat the peanuts. 

I'm sold enough to offer him 5+ years (get the feeling when all is said and done, he and the Devils settle for 6 years with an AAV in the high $6 millions).  He's put up 51 points over his last 46 GP...the only Devil to put up this kind of production over about that many games post-Hall is Jack Hughes (55 points in his last 55 GP).  It could blow up, but I'm willing to take the risk...if Bratt were in his late 20s, I'd be a little more wary, but he's only 23.    

Sharangovich got exactly what he deserved, in that he did enough to get a "OK, you got our attention kid, here's a couple of years and a nice raise, let's see what else you've got" contract.  So far the reviews are mixed...his numbers are pretty much the same as they were last season.  I'd like to see some improvement through the rest of this season and into next season, before I commit to him being a part of this thing...so far he's good for 23 G and 23 A per 82 GP.  Not a bad place to start from, but wouldn't want him to stay there.

Zacha did enough over the 84-game (29 G and 31 A) sample to become more than meme fodder, but this year was a big one for him, and it's been disappointing overall...is that 84-game sample who he can be going to forward, or is he the "almost" guy who's good for maybe 40-45 points and long stretches of invisibility?  He's suddenly putting up points again right now, but he's still not noticeable much lately...almost feels like this latest flurry of points is fluky.

But to bring it back to "around the league", if Vancouver is that high on Zacha, I'm listening with both ears.       

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ovechkin scored 765 and 766 tonight. Tied now with Jagr.

As long he stays healthy, he should be somewhere between 820-830 goals by the end of next season, with three years still left on his current deal.  Upcoming are his Age 37-40 seasons.  Barring a ton of missed games or his body breaking down, hard to imagine that he doesn't blow past Gretzky with about a season-and-a-half left on his current deal...I'm guessing he finishes with about 940 goals by the time he hangs 'em up.  

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Didn't half ass that one shift either, got a shot on goal! 

Nice move by the organization. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As long he stays healthy, he should be somewhere between 820-830 goals by the end of next season, with three years still left on his current deal.  Upcoming are his Age 37-40 seasons.  Barring a ton of missed games or his body breaking down, hard to imagine that he doesn't blow past Gretzky with about a season-and-a-half left on his current deal...I'm guessing he finishes with about 940 goals by the time he hangs 'em up.  

That’s pretty incredible, especially considering the difference in defense and goaltending since the 80’s. 

Also it’s pretty crazy to think of what Jagr would have put up if he hung around the league a little longer. I think there were 4 or 5 teams he still hadn’t played for yet. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s pretty incredible, especially considering the difference in defense and goaltending since the 80’s. 

Also it’s pretty crazy to think of what Jagr build have put up of he hung around the league a little longer. I think there were 4 or 5 teams he still hadn’t played for yet. 

50.1 G per 82 GP for his entire career.  Just checked, and Stamkos has 42.6 G per 82 GP (playing in the same era).  I can't think of anyone else who'd come remotely close to Ovechkin's rate, during his career...during the time that Ovechkin scored 50+ goals friggin' EIGHT times (from 2005-06 through the present), here's what the rest of the league has managed to do:

Cheechoo (remember him?):  once

Jagr:  once

Kovalchuk:  twice

Heatley:  twice

Lecavalier:  once

Crosby:  once

Stamkos:  twice (only player other than Ovechkin to crack 60 goals...each player did that once)

Perry:  once

Malkin:  once

Draisaitl:  once

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I LOL’d when I read it 🤣

Those are the kinds of moves that keep you from being relevant. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Absolute head scratcher. But hey, I’m good with it 🤣

If he had showed significant improvement, then I'd get it more.  But it sure looks and sounds like he hasn't evolved at all.  

• Like 1