2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

WWLD

Lou would not be able to tolerate this off-season, there are eight former Devils goalies available in free agency. His head would explode.

I mean I guess it could still be a problem in his current position, he still collects them like goalie pucks.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s a free agent, should we bring him back a seemingly 10th time?

.928 save% over his last 14 GP, facing an average of about 39 shots per game.  

It's a small sample and we've seen goalies get hot over small samples (the Hamburglar with Ottawa, among others), but curious to see what kind of offers he gets as a UFA.  Does some team bring him in (for relatively cheap coin) and offer him a legit shot at a starting job?     

Pronger breaks down an example of a guy making 6M a year.  No need to shed a tear,  that's not my point in any way whatsoever.  I always wondered what the take home was for a contract like that. You have to tag the replies to open up his full breakdown.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Pronger breaks down an example of a guy making 6M a year.  No need to shed a tear,  that's not my point in any way whatsoever.  I always wondered what the take home was for a contract like that. You have to tag the replies to open up his full breakdown.

Honestly, it was interesting until he started talking about how they have to pay rent, buy a car and pay for food. Like what fvcking world do you live in, everyone does that on a much, much smaller salary.  

Basically they do the same thing everyone else does with the exception of the escrow. The taxes are more because the earnings are more.  And they play a game they love for a living. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, it was interesting until he started talking about how they have to pay rent, buy a car and pay for food. Like what fvcking world do you live in, everyone does that on a much, much smaller salary.  

Basically they do the same thing everyone else does with the exception of the escrow. The taxes are more because the earnings are more.  And they play a game they love for a living. 

I don’t think anyone is asking for sympathy; Pronger is just pointing out that dudes may not be quite as well off as their salary or contract indicates. It’s all relative, of course. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think you're being too hard on them. You're not even taking into account that they have to pay for that giant house. Do you think they vaccume their own floors in that mansion or do their own yard work? They gotta pay for that too! Try having to hire a private chef... It's a nightmare to find the one that makes pancakes that look like a perfect Mickey Mouse.

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t think anyone is asking for sympathy; Pronger is just pointing out that dudes may not be quite as well off as their salary or contract indicates. It’s all relative, of course. 

Nobody is, was my point. 

The 17k for nutrition per month was the one thing I could relate too.

nah seriously just found the start with/end with #'s interesting.  I'm pretty sure I could make it all work to play a game for a living.  To be honest it's the minor league guys that get paid minor league money I have some sympathy for,  guys that don't have an NHL deal, ECHL'ers etc. some of them truly play for the love of the game and nothing more.

27 minutes ago, titans04 said:

nah seriously just found the start with/end with #'s interesting.  I'm pretty sure I could make it all work to play a game for a living.  To be honest it's the minor league guys that get paid minor league money I have some sympathy for,  guys that don't have an NHL deal, ECHL'ers etc. some of them truly play for the love of the game and nothing more.

Are you telling me shoeless Joe Jackson was full of it when he said “I woulda played for nothin’”

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Through the course of his career Phil Kessel has saved himself an absolute fvcking fortune there. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, McLeod41-20 said:

I much preferred the $75k for car expenses...... but this is yearly wage so what, new car every year? Get out of here with any of this entitled wo is us routine

Come on, you don’t understand. They need a car to drive to work. It’s a unique and unfortunate problem that only millionaire athletes have. Lol. 

Pay me 2 million clear per year for 6 years and that sh!t would let me the rest of my life and my daughter’s life, and beyond. 

i mean the fvcking guy mentioned having to buy food. Where do you think the rest of us get our food, b!tch???

Edited by mfitz804