2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Tied with the Panthers and ahead of the Rags. Amazing what good goaltending can do…

The Panthers and Rangers are practically the same and are almost 100 “goals for” apart. Panthers are tops in the league and Rangers are 15th. Washington is 8th in GF and 23rd on that list. 

It’s another one of those advanced stats that *might* check out in terms of actual success, but also might not. Or at least, can be neutralized by offense. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The Panthers and Rangers are practically the same and are almost 100 “goals for” apart. Panthers are tops in the league and Rangers are 15th. Washington is 8th in GF and 23rd on that list. 

It’s another one of those advanced stats that *might* check out in terms of actual success, but also might not. Or at least, can be neutralized by offense. 

It can also be neutralized by fantastic goaltending. The Rags are where they are because of Shesterkin. Full stop. He’s currently at a .936 save % with only a handful of games left in the season. That’s prime Dominik Hasek territory, and will be one of the highest save percentages for a Vezina winner ever. He won’t win the Hart (I’d say Matthews is a lock at this point), but as much as it sickens me to say it - he deserves serious consideration. 

35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It can also be neutralized by fantastic goaltending. The Rags are where they are because of Shesterkin. Full stop. He’s currently at a .936 save % with only a handful of games left in the season. That’s prime Dominik Hasek territory, and will be one of the highest save percentages for a Vezina winner ever. He won’t win the Hart (I’d say Matthews is a lock at this point), but as much as it sickens me to say it - he deserves serious consideration. 

Not wrong about the Rangers for sure. Funny to look at their stats, they really had 5 guys do almost all of their scoring. After Kerider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Fox, and to some extent Strome, it starts getting really thin. 

He can still go fvck himself for the Hart. Not because he doesn't deserve consideration, he can just go fvck himself regarding everything. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not wrong about the Rangers for sure. Funny to look at their stats, they really had 5 guys do almost all of their scoring. After Kerider, Zibanejad, Panarin, Fox, and to some extent Strome, it starts getting really thin. 

He can still go fvck himself for the Hart. Not because he doesn't deserve consideration, he can just go fvck himself regarding everything. 

Yeah fvck that guy. They’re calling him Prince Igor, because the hockey media is lame as all fvck. Hopefully Prince Igor gets homesick and fvcks off back to Russia.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah fvck that guy. They’re calling him Prince Igor, because the hockey media is lame as all fvck. Hopefully Prince Igor gets homesick and fvcks off back to Russia.

I guess that the guy who follows an ineffective King is a prince. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah if he pulls a Harry and leaves the “Royal Family”, I’m on board with that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Someone send him Kovalchuk’s cell number lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The whole "King"/"Prince" nickname thing is totally cringey, as well. In my opinion anyway. It's super weird. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The NHL is doing CPR on an already-embalmed corpse at this point.  

They’re high as fvcking kites if they think they sh!t team is worth $400+ to sit on the glass.

they’re only real prayer was to cater to the college kids, pack that place and let them go drunken apesh!t. THAT would be fun

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

They’re high as fvcking kites if they think they sh!t team is worth $400+ to sit on the glass.

they’re only real prayer was to cater to the college kids, pack that place and let them go drunken apesh!t. THAT would be fun

Yeah this is just an absolute embarrassment. It’s fvcking clown shoes that a major pro sports league is allowing this to happen all while there isn’t even a guarantee that a new arena will be built in Tempe. There’s no agreement; they’re just HOPING for one. Just like they’ve been hoping for a new arena for 14 fvcking years with failure after failure after failure. It’s a joke. And the optics are AWFUL. It just makes the NHL look like amateur hour. I’m shocked the owners are allowing this. 

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah this is just an absolute embarrassment. It’s fvcking clown shoes that a major pro sports league is allowing this to happen all while there isn’t even a guarantee that a new arena will be built in Tempe. There’s no agreement; they’re just HOPING for one. Just like they’ve been hoping for a new arena for 14 fvcking years with failure after failure after failure. It’s a joke. And the optics are AWFUL. It just makes the NHL look like amateur hour. I’m shocked the owners are allowing this. 

Hell they keep ignoring the literal simple solution of MOVING THEM BACK IN WITH THE SUNS!

Imagine that, having a team in a good city that drew VERY WELL when they arrived, even when they were sh!t people still went cause it was RIGHT THERE

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have to agree. How in the fvck is a professional sports team of any kind ok with playing in a 5,000 seat arena??

And how embarrassed will they be when their 1,500 fans don’t even fill it halfway?

Again, don’t see why anyone would need that chart to know that. Dawson is a rookie with 16G, 25A, 41P.  Laf has a girl’s name and 17G, 11A, 28P and is a second year player. 

Why does anyone need contrived stats like “playdriving” or “role difficulty” to make that assessment?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, don’t see why anyone would need that chart to know that. Dawson is a rookie with 16G, 25A, 41P.  Laf has a girl’s name and 17G, 11A, 28P and is a second year player. 

Why does anyone need contrived stats like “playdriving” or “role difficulty” to make that assessment?

Anyone can recite a box score, or look up point totals. These kinds of charts dig a little deeper. I will never understand why certain people get so annoyed by them. 

44 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Does that include that Mercer has 2 goals in his past 20 games (and 0 in his last 14)?

Of course. It was clearly just put out yesterday. And Laf has had equally rotten stretches. Hence his “rest day.”

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Anyone can recite a box score, or look up point totals. These kinds of charts dig a little deeper. I will never understand why certain people get so annoyed by them. 

I’m not annoyed, it’s just pointless when actual, real stats show who is having the better season.

If those point totals were the same but Laf had a higher “playdriving” number, would you say he’s having a better season?

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Of course. It was clearly just put out yesterday. And Laf has had equally rotten stretches. Hence his “rest day.”

Dawson’s rest day is probably overdue. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Dawson’s rest day is probably overdue. 

What would that achieve? He’s on a terrible team, that’s done playing in a couple weeks. Might as well let him get as much time as he can. And it’s not like he’s even been particularly bad. The points just haven’t been coming for him. I’d much rather see him though, over increased time for guys like Johnsson, Tatar, or whoever. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

What would that achieve? He’s on a terrible team, that’s done playing in a couple weeks. Might as well let him get as much time as he can. And it’s not like he’s even been particularly bad. The points just haven’t been coming for him. I’d much rather see him though, over increased time for guys like Johnsson, Tatar, or whoever. 

He has been exceptionally bad over the last two months. His play has been on par with both of those “losers” since March 1, although they’ve scored goals. 

But I’m sure his “role difficulty” is off the charts so he’s been way better. 

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but he’s been largely ineffective for a while now. 

On 4/20/2022 at 10:19 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about this guy. He’s now suing the team for discrimination because he has a benign prostate hyperplasia that makes him have to urinate frequently. 

Sorry, that’s not a disability that you can accomodate by letting the guy whip it out and piss into a drain. More bathroom breaks? Maybe. But how in the fvck did this dude think that was going to be acceptable?