2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He has been exceptionally bad over the last two months. His play has been on par with both of those “losers” since March 1, although they’ve scored goals. 

But I’m sure his “role difficulty” is off the charts so he’s been way better. 

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but he’s been largely ineffective for a while now. 

He was notching points though…7 goals and 11 assists over 25 GP, before going pointless in his last 6.  Still, 18 points over 31 GP for a 20-year-old rookie forward ain’t bad at all.

That being said, he looked so electric over his first 20 GP or so…I hope to see THAT guy again next season.  He’s been much less noticeable as this season has worn on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He has been exceptionally bad over the last two months. His play has been on par with both of those “losers” since March 1, although they’ve scored goals. 

But I’m sure his “role difficulty” is off the charts so he’s been way better. 

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but he’s been largely ineffective for a while now. 

Not really. His points slump started on April 9th against Dallas. Before that he had 13 points in his last 21 GP (going back almost exactly 2 months to Feb 24th).

.61 PPG is hardly “exceptionally bad” for a rookie in his 1st full season. 

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was notching points though…7 goals and 11 assists over 25 GP, before going pointless in his last 6.  Still, 18 points over 31 GP for a 20-year-old rookie forward ain’t bad at all.

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not really. His points slump started on April 9th against Dallas. Before that he had 13 points in his last 21 GP (going back almost exactly 2 months to Feb 24th).

.61 PPG is hardly “exceptionally bad” for a rookie in his 1st full season. 

He had 3 G and 3A in all of March, and 0G 4A thus far in April, 24 games total. And two of those April assists were in one game. He has been largely invisible this entire month.

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Is everyone just missing the fact that Guy Lafleur died this morning? I think that’s really more important than anything else happening in hockey right now. 

It’s very sad. 

They did a moment of silence for Bossy at last night’s game, I imagine most teams will do similar for Lafleur. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Is everyone just missing the fact that Guy Lafleur died this morning? I think that’s really more important than anything else happening in hockey right now. 

On this note, I remember when Lafleur came out of retirement to play for the Rangers (sans helmet) and though obviously not nearly what he was in his prime, was still a plenty solid player…and hadn’t played in YEARS.  I was impressed as hell that a guy could just decide “I still wanna play”, and not embarrass himself in the process.  And he went on to play with the Nords a couple of years too…must have been weird for Canadiens fans to see him suiting up with the enemy.  But yeah, one of the all-time greats…sad to see him go.

Another LaFleur memory (kinda silly) was when me and some very baked hockey buds were trying to come up with future businesses for hockey players…my contribution was “Daigle’s Bagles”, but of course would be pronounced “Daig’s Baigs”.  My bud came up with “Guy LaFlorist”. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

What would that achieve? He’s on a terrible team, that’s done playing in a couple weeks. Might as well let him get as much time as he can. And it’s not like he’s even been particularly bad. The points just haven’t been coming for him. I’d much rather see him though, over increased time for guys like Johnsson, Tatar, or whoever. 

Mercer was on the second line last night.  Johnsson was on the 4th line.

Also over the past 20 games Tatar has averaged 15:16 of ice time per game.  Mercer has averaged 17:48 of ice time per game.

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He had 3 G and 3A in all of March, and 0G 4A thus far in April, 24 games total. And two of those April assists were in one game. He has been largely invisible this entire month.

yeahhhh the last two months are starting to give off the appearance that he's hit the proverbial wall.  He's probably wishing they could bring in Dr. Kevorkian to just end this season the last several weeks.  I guess we'll get a better feel for what he is next season, maybe.  I'm not too down on the guy, he looked really good early and  but at the same time I'm not sure he's that guy either going forward.

RIP Guy.   

32 minutes ago, titans04 said:

yeahhhh the last two months are starting to give off the appearance that he's hit the proverbial wall.  He's probably wishing they could bring in Dr. Kevorkian to just end this season the last several weeks.  I guess we'll get a better feel for what he is next season, maybe.  I'm not too down on the guy, he looked really good early and  but at the same time I'm not sure he's that guy either going forward.

Exactly, and I was only talking about March and April. Of course, those trying to discount what I’m saying immediately added in some February games to pad his stats. 

I’m not sure which guy he is either. He may just be a guy who only plays well on a line with someone else who is better, I would be ok with that. I know I like him better as a wing than a center. If he and Holtz pan out as right wings for Hughes and Hischier in some combination, we’ll really have something going. 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly, and I was only talking about March and April. Of course, those trying to discount what I’m saying immediately added in some February games to pad his stats. 

I’m not sure which guy he is either. He may just be a guy who only plays well on a line with someone else who is better, I would be ok with that. I know I like him better as a wing than a center. If he and Holtz pan out as right wings for Hughes and Hischier in some combination, we’ll really have something going. 

Not trying to discount what you’re saying…if you want to go month to month, he has 3 goals and 7 assists in his last 24 GP, dating to the beginning of March.  Yeah he definitely hasn’t been as good as he was earlier, don’t think anyone would dispute that.  He’s had a very typical rookie year…promising signs, but also some extended cold spells and at times he’s looked very raw…he’s been up and down.  I do think it’s fair to remind ourselves that he’s only 20 years old and that he skipped the AHL entirely.

But yeah, I’m not sure quite what he is yet either.  As far as point totals go, if he flirts with 55-60 next year, I’d be plenty happy with that.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not trying to discount what you’re saying…if you want to go month to month, he has 3 goals and 7 assists in his last 24 GP, dating to the beginning of March.  Yeah he definitely hasn’t been as good as he was earlier, don’t think anyone would dispute that.  He’s had a very typical rookie year…promising signs, but also some extended cold spells and at times he’s looked very raw…he’s been up and down.  I do think it’s fair to remind ourselves that he’s only 20 years old and that he skipped the AHL entirely.

But yeah, I’m not sure quite what he is yet either.  As far as point totals go, if he flirts with 55-60 next year, I’d be plenty happy with that.

Definitely right, but I wasn’t saying he had a bad rookie season, only a bad two months. 

He’s actually had a better rookie year than Jack did, not even close so far, and  he wasn’t #1OA. Yes, Dawson is older than Jack was. But it’s still a win as far as I’m concerned, especially given that as a team we sh!t the bed even harder than we did Jack’s rookie year. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Definitely right, but I wasn’t saying he had a bad rookie season, only a bad two months. 

He’s actually had a better rookie year than Jack did, not even close so far, and  he wasn’t #1OA. Yes, Dawson is older than Jack was. But it’s still a win as far as I’m concerned, especially given that as a team we sh!t the bed even harder than we did Jack’s rookie year. 

Significantly older, too. Mercer played a grand total of 5 games in the NHL as a teenager. With an October birthday he spent most of his rookie season at age 20. 

And let’s be honest, he also got to play with guys like Jack and Bratt. His most common line mate wasn’t the corpse of Wayne Simmonds…

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Significantly older, too. Mercer played a grand total of 5 games in the NHL as a teenager. With an October birthday he spent most of his rookie season at age 20. 

And let’s be honest, he also got to play with guys like Jack and Bratt. His most common line mate wasn’t the corpse of Wayne Simmonds…

Agreed, all explanations as to why what I said is correct. 

18 hours ago, devlman said:

Ha! Vegas dropped a crucial point with a second to go against lowly SJ at home. 

People are all over Jack Eichel. No points in 4 straight games in the most crucial time of the season for them, including 0-1 in the shootout.

And Vegas and Buffalo have nearly identical records since the trade.