2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s pretty cool, congrats to Jay. 

That's EXTREMELY cool.  Very happy for him.

• Like 1

The ultimate compiler...probably should've called it a career after 2019-20, but the Sharks were willing to give him the opportunity to set the NHL all-time games played even though he was on fumes, so don't blame him for taking them up on it.

Always something to be said for not only playing as long as he did, but being able to do it without suffering serious injury (or in his case, injuries period).  And he was a plenty productive player for many years...as far as his HHOF case goes, with him you almost have to look at his numbers from a "Career Within A Career" standpoint.  Given the sheer number of games that he played, his pure offensive numbers aren't THAT impressive (about 1200 points in about 1800 GP)...but if you eliminate his developmental and decline years, they do look better...a lot of players would love to have had this kind of run...from 2000-01 through 2017-18 (17 seasons):

1339 GP, 484 G, 528 A, 1012 Pts, (30 G, 32 A, 62 Pts per 82 GP) 

He still doesn't quite scream HHOF to me (I don't think insane longevity should trump everything else, and Marleau was quite good for a long time, but that's how I think of him...quite good), but I'm pretty much expecting him to get in eventually...I've brought it up, but suddenly it sure feels like Roenick, Pierre Turgeon, and Rod Brind'Amour have pretty strong cases for induction...as will some others I would think.  And of course the record Marleau broke (Gordie Howe's all-time GP) never would've been touched if Howe had just stuck around in the NHL, instead of playing another buttload of games in the WHL (starting when he was 45).  But the record is Marleau's, so I'm guessing Most Games Played Ever + Many Good Years = HHOF for him. 

* Think the case for Elias gets that much stronger too, if Marleau gets in.  I'm taking in-his-prime Elias over in-his-prime Marleau.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Marleau is getting into the HOF. There’s no way they will leave out a guy who broke a Gordie Howe record. 

Yeah I don’t think it’s really a question. Calling a guy a “compiler” of goals and assists really says that he scored a whole lot. Kind of hard to put up 1000 points, break the Howe record and average 30 goals a year and say that guy doesn’t belong. 

The popular comparison is Elias, who put up similar numbers but in a hundred or so less games. Plus got 2 cups. I think he goes in also. 

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I don’t think it’s really a question. Calling a guy a “compiler” of goals and assists really says that he scored a whole lot. Kind of hard to put up 1000 points, break the Howe record and average 30 goals a year and say that guy doesn’t belong. 

The popular comparison is Elias, who put up similar numbers but in a hundred or so less games. Plus got 2 cups. I think he goes in also. 

The sample I picked for Marleau eliminates his development and decline years…his overall numbers take a hit with those years included…sure, almost 1200 points, but took close to 1800 GP to get there.  My point is do you think his peak years alone are enough to get him in?  1012 points in 1339 GP.  If so, then Elias becomes a slam dunk, AFAIC.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The sample I picked for Marleau eliminates his development and decline years…his overall numbers take a hit with those years included…sure, almost 1200 points, but took close to 1800 GP to get there.  My point is do you think his peak years alone are enough to get him in?  1012 points in 1339 GP.  If so, then Elias becomes a slam dunk, AFAIC.  

I was definitely confused by your stats, I’ll just stick to /82 games in the future. 

I do think he’ll be in the Hall, and Elias as well. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Mitch Marner was carjacked at gunpoint, apparently he gave the car up immediately and was unhurt. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10036016-report-mitch-marner-victim-of-carjacking-maple-leafs-rw-doing-all-right.amp.html

Jeez, glad he wasn't physically harmed.  Also, his reaction seems perfect.  "Go ahead, take it!"

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That is what they say to do. 

First off, Jesus H, so glad Marner escaped unharmed.

Years ago, I watched some show where victims of crime get to confront their perpetrators…one guy had been both carjacked and shot.  That particular victim basically said “Why did you shoot me?  I was going to give you the car!”  (He hadn’t put up any kind of fight.)  The perp tearfully apologized and said that his life had become a complete mess at the time, and that serving time in jail had changed him significantly.  After more discussion, the victim offered his friendship, which the perp accepted, and when the perp came up for parole, the victim testified on his behalf…the parole was granted, and the two remained friends.  Not sure what became of them, but Marner being carjacked made me remember watching that show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First off, Jesus H, so glad Marner escaped unharmed.

Years ago, I watched some show where victims of crime get to confront their perpetrators…one guy had been both carjacked and shot.  That particular victim basically said “Why did you shoot me?  I was going to give you the car!”  (He hadn’t put up any kind of fight.)  The perp tearfully apologized and said that his life had become a complete mess at the time, and that serving time in jail had changed him significantly.  After more discussion, the victim offered his friendship, which the perp accepted, and when the perp came up for parole, the victim testified on his behalf…the parole was granted, and the two remained friends.  Not sure what became of them, but Marner being carjacked made me remember watching that show.

I suspect Marner will not become friends with these guys lol. 

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suspect Marner will not become friends with these guys lol. 

For sure was definitely NOT suggesting that Marner was going to be leaving them tix and food vouchers for a game anytime soon heh heh.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For sure was definitely NOT suggesting that Marner was going to be leaving them tix and food vouchers for a game anytime soon heh heh.

How about some inside out Justin Bieber designed jerseys?

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

How about some inside out Justin Bieber designed jerseys?

That seems fair lmao.  A good start to the punishment fitting the crime. 

Really trying not to get too annoyed about Ruff still being here.

Yet I'm really annoyed about Ruff still being here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is what it is. At least if Ruff doesn’t get them into the playoffs they’ll be a lottery team - with a chance at Bedard or the Russian kid. 

missing the playoffs by a few points and somehow winning the Bedard lottery would be fvcking hilarious