2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

missing the playoffs by a few points and somehow winning the Bedard lottery would be fvcking hilarious

Is that even possible?  Now you can only move up a certain number spots even in the event of a lottery win, IIRC.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is that even possible?  Now you can only move up a certain number spots even in the event of a lottery win, IIRC.  

Yeah, I think it’s something like 4 spots. I should have been more specific. Basically - if we totally suck again under Ruff at least we’ll be in the running for one of those 2 guys. 

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I forgot they changed it back. Like when we won the lottery to move up to #4 the Larsson year?

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Oh I forgot they changed it back. Like when we won the lottery to move up to #4 the Larsson year?

Yeah exactly.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Devils are fully set on Ruff or Dineen.  If you would have asked me 3-4 months ago about Dineen I would have been on-board with him.  Now, not so much with how Utica has been playing the last few months.

I’m not sure we can blame Dineen for all of that. It had to be impossible to keep that early season momentum and chemistry when Jersey took half their roster for most of the season. 

I think Ruff is still the coach next year though. Fitz doesn’t seem like the type to take any kind of risk and sign a better coach unless one lands on him. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m not sure we can blame Dineen for all of that. It had to be impossible to keep that early season momentum and chemistry when Jersey took half their roster for most of the season. 

I think Ruff is still the coach next year though. Fitz doesn’t seem like the type to take any kind of risk and sign a better coach unless one lands on him. 

Plenty of teams have their best players called up during the season in the AHL; the Comets are not unique there.  I think more like the Comets came crashing back down to Earth after a really hot start.

14 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This just keeps getting sadder and sadder. 

You beat me to it, just change the damn team name and colors at this point, rebrand as the ASU pitchforks and call it.

They really should have just relocated to Houston

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You beat me to it, just change the damn team name and colors at this point, rebrand as the ASU pitchforks and call it.

They really should have just relocated to Houston

This isn’t just embarrassing for the Coyotes…. It’s embarrassing for hockey, and the NHL. The fact that the owners are allowing this is a joke. I honestly can’t believe they’re letting Bettman pull this sh!t. 

• Like 1

I still can’t believe it’s real. As much as I think it would be cool to see the Devils play in a 5,000 seat arena, I think one time as a charity or a promotion or a pre-season game would be sufficient. I can’t even imagine a professional sports team playing in front of such a small crowd. 

Using my official @Colorado Rockies 1976 signature edition calculator, the max attendance over 41 home games is 205,000, which is the same as 13.66 games at a 15,000 seat arena. 

Arizona averages 11,000 fans per game, so it’s not even half of their usual attendance. This is barely one step above just not having a team next season. 

• Like 1

The second they got locked out of the Glendale arena for non-payment was the second Bettman should have stepped in and forced ownership to sell so they could move the team. This is embarrassing to the whole league, but incredibly on brand for the NHL. This is why it will never be taken seriously and why some people would rather sit and watch a bunch of overweight, overpaid steroid-pumping divas stand around a baseball diamond for 4 hours instead. 

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

When Whalers/Canes moved from Hartford to NC their arena was 2 years from being completed.  They played at the Greensboro Coliseum.  Folks didn't want to drive 90 minutes west so attendance was very low. Coliseum sat 23K but barely 10K showed up. The upper part of the seating area was covered up so the seating dropped to 13K. Went to lots of games since I was working in McCleansville quite a bit. Was great atmosphere.  Usually sat at the glass.

6 minutes ago, StarDew said:

When Whalers/Canes moved from Hartford to NC their arena was 2 years from being completed.  They played at the Greensboro Coliseum.  Folks didn't want to drive 90 minutes west so attendance was very low. Coliseum sat 23K but barely 10K showed up. The upper part of the seating area was covered up so the seating dropped to 13K. Went to lots of games since I was working in McCleansville quite a bit. Was great atmosphere.  Usually sat at the glass.

That's crazy, Arizona is looking at half of that, max. That's if they sell out. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

This isn’t just embarrassing for the Coyotes…. It’s embarrassing for hockey, and the NHL. The fact that the owners are allowing this is a joke. I honestly can’t believe they’re letting Bettman pull this sh!t. 

I wonder if the owners are going along with this for now because if any of them get into any dire situations in the future they can shove this back in Bettman's face and force the NHL to save them too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

From the reddit comment section on this:

Gotta wonder if a guy like Cooley or any other player selected by the Yotes with their top pick just says "fvck it, I'm not signing."  Basically decides to pull an Eric Lindros, Eli Manning, etc.

Can't imagine what it's gotta be like to play for a team in that kind of situation.  And seriously, just move them already.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The hockey media will dress this up too. ‘Oh what a unique atmosphere’! ‘It’s so cool’! And that’s why I hate the hockey media. 

Oh the whole intimacy thing might be cool, but as mfitz said, strictly as a one-time novelty...not as what constitutes "normalcy".  The circumstances that led to this actually becoming a thing for an NHL hockey team are not remotely cool.  This is a joke.  As we've seen, hockey doesn't work everywhere (see Flames and Thrashers, Atlanta)...stop trying to make it happen in Arizona.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh the whole intimacy thing might be cool, but as mfitz said, strictly as a one-time novelty...not as what constitutes "normalcy".  The circumstances that led to this actually become a thing for an NHL hockey team are not remotely cool.  This is a joke.  As we've seen, hockey doesn't work everywhere (see Flames and Thrashers, Atlanta)...stop trying to make it happen in Arizona.  

The media needs to pound Bettman on this. He doesn’t like tough questions. Start asking them, hockey media. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh the whole intimacy thing might be cool, but as mfitz said, strictly as a one-time novelty...not as what constitutes "normalcy".  The circumstances that led to this actually become a thing for an NHL hockey team are not remotely cool.  This is a joke.  As we've seen, hockey doesn't work everywhere (see Flames and Thrashers, Atlanta)...stop trying to make it happen in Arizona.  

86E08AC6-0BDB-4FE9-AF87-6996E8D5E804.thumb.jpeg.ebf10dbca7c9e66bd9c4cab7c29515d6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1