2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The media needs to pound Bettman on this. He doesn’t like tough questions. Start asking them, hockey media. 

What makes guys like him and Goddell intolerable is that they basically condescend to everyone and double down on everything and might as well be saying "No, you silly little people, you're all wrong about this, WE'RE right and WE know what we're doing."  The arrogance is infuriating.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What makes guys like him and Goddell intolerable is that they basically condescend to everyone and double down on everything and might as well be saying "No, you silly little people, you're all wrong about his, WE'RE right and WE know what we're doing."  The arrogance is infuriating.

And that’s what I want him challenged on by SOMEONE. This a joke. Arrogance and condescension ain’t gonna cut it on this one. Go after him and tell him to give real answers, and don’t take the mic out of his face until he does. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

And that’s what I want him challenged on by SOMEONE. This a joke. Arrogance and condescension ain’t gonna cut it on this one. Go after him and tell him to give real answers, and don’t take the mic out of his face until he does. 

Like I said before, I think secretly plenty of other owners, who have the power to do something, aren't doing or saying anything.  They just don't want to be fending for themselves if they are ever in a similar dire situation.  It's all a big play.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Like I said before, I think secretly plenty of other owners, who have the power to do something, aren't doing or saying anything.  They just don't want to be fending for themselves if they are ever in a similar dire situation.  It's all a big play.

The league has a history of helping teams in trouble. In the last 20 or so years I can think of Buffalo, Pittsburgh, our team, I think maybe Dallas at one point? But this is above and beyond. It’s just silly. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You’re probably right. I just hate what sports has become. It used to be that the owners would never stand for something like this. Now, it’s all about CYA-cover your ass. The same sh!t goes on in the NFL, which is why a piece of sh!t like Dan Snyder can still own a team. Image? Good of the sport? fvck that. Cover your ass. fvck the owners, and fvck Bettman. 

Edited by MadDog2020

15 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The league has a history of helping teams in trouble. In the last 20 or so years I can think of Buffalo, Pittsburgh, our team, I think maybe Dallas at one point? But this is above and beyond. It’s just silly. 

There’s helping…. And then there is whatever the fvck THIS is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

There’s helping…. And then there is whatever the fvck THIS is. 

Yeah this just feels like the absolute forcing of something that is SO clearly not meant to be.

And it's completely nuts that an NHL team is going play in a 5000-or-so-seat area for the next THREE YEARS (at least, unless they move).  With the exception of most draft picks who won't have much choice, how do the Coyotes not become anything more than a pit stop for players who have nowhere else to go, and are hoping to show enough while there to then get traded to a legit NHL franchise?

Gotta imagine so many kids are crossing their fingers and hoping "Pleeeeeease don't pick me...pleeeeeeease don't pick me" every time the Yotes' draft slots come up.  Who the hell would want to be a part of that mess?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And it's completely nuts that an NHL team is going play in a 5000-or-so-seat area for the next THREE YEARS (at least, unless they move).  With the exception of most draft picks who won't have much choice, how do the Coyotes not become anything more than a pit stop for players who have nowhere else to go, and are hoping to show enough while there to then get traded to a legit NHL franchise?

The answer is they don't, not until 2025 when Auston Matthews signs there as a free agent. 

In researching what year he goes UFA, I noticed that Matthews has a $750k base salary and the rest is a signing bonus. What's the point of structuring a contract that way? Does he get a lump sum in the amount of the signing bonus?

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

You’re probably right. I just hate what sports has become. It used to be that the owners would never stand for something like this. Now, it’s all about CYA-cover your ass. The same sh!t goes on in the NFL, which is why a piece of sh!t like Dan Snyder can still own a team. Image? Good of the sport? fvck that. Cover your ass. fvck the owners, and fvck Bettman. 

IIRC, Arizona already gets the maximum amount of revenue sharing per the current CBA so there really isn't any incentive to not help them anymore.  Having them play in a 5K arena will not force the other owners to cover for them any more than they are now.  I think that the NHL and the owners would probably prefer a new owner to step in and put a stop to this, but with how things are going there really isn't any big hurry or push for them to do so.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

The answer is they don't, not until 2025 when Auston Matthews signs there as a free agent. 

In researching what year he goes UFA, I noticed that Matthews has a $750k base salary and the rest is a signing bonus. What's the point of structuring a contract that way? Does he get a lump sum in the amount of the signing bonus?

That's usually a buyout protection trick

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That's usually a buyout protection trick

As in you would still have to pay the entire signing bonus so it costs more to buy him out?

Who the fvck would buy out a top 3-ish player in the league? 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

As in you would still have to pay the entire signing bonus so it costs more to buy him out?

Who the fvck would buy out a top 3-ish player in the league? 

yeah that's my understanding. It's just more of a guarantee that you get your money right away i think

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah that's my understanding. It's just more of a guarantee that you get your money right away i think

Like this season his “signing bonus” is $7,200,000. Do they hand him a check for that on Day One of the season (minus deductions)?

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Like this season his “signing bonus” is $7,200,000. Do they hand him a check for that on Day One of the season (minus deductions)?

im not sure. But also they are lockout proof. Which might be the best reason to do it

33 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im not sure. But also they are lockout proof. Which might be the best reason to do it

That would be a really good reason. Imagine how pissed his teammates will be when he is getting paid $7.2m to their zero lol. 

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m not sure who watched last night, but Binnington has been great since taking the starting job back from Husso and was absolutely fantastic last night. It’s gonna be very interesting to see how St Louis plays it with those 2 this offseason. 

Yeah no matter what they have to ride the Binnington wave. he's the one they have committed to for years so it would be hard to stick with Husso when he,s a UFA on top of that.

Only goes to show how unpredictable and inconsistent goalies are

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah no matter what they have to ride the Binnington wave. he's the one they have committed to for years so it would be hard to stick with Husso when he,s a UFA on top of that.

Only goes to show how unpredictable and inconsistent goalies are

Yeah, they are just gonna have to hope Binnington can figure it out. Crazy how good he was last night. It was like it was the 2019 run all over again. 

• Like 1

Binnington’s run only makes Husso more available, works for me. Not that we’ll wind up with him. 

We didn’t get the guy I wanted last year, Linus Ullmark, who had a great year. Let’s see if this off-season is any different. 

9 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What makes guys like him and Goddell intolerable is that they basically condescend to everyone and double down on everything and might as well be saying "No, you silly little people, you're all wrong about this, WE'RE right and WE know what we're doing."  The arrogance is infuriating.

So it’s the New Jersey Devils’ ownership, but on the League scale 

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I still can’t believe it’s real. As much as I think it would be cool to see the Devils play in a 5,000 seat arena, I think one time as a charity or a promotion or a pre-season game would be sufficient. I can’t even imagine a professional sports team playing in front of such a small crowd. 

Using my official @Colorado Rockies 1976 signature edition calculator, the max attendance over 41 home games is 205,000, which is the same as 13.66 games at a 15,000 seat arena. 

Arizona averages 11,000 fans per game, so it’s not even half of their usual attendance. This is barely one step above just not having a team next season. 

Sounds like when the devils played the islanders at West Point that one summer