2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Is there a source on that? Haven’t seen it reported. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/penguins-agree-to-four-year-contract-with-evgeni-malkin/c-334789528?tid=278542340

Cam Talbot to the OTT Senators. Welp. I kind wish Guerin stuck to his guns, but I guess he didn't want the possibility of a distraction.

https://www.nhl.com/news/cam-talbot-traded-to-ottawa-senators-by-minnesota-wild/c-334947218?tid=278542340

Just after 8pm ET, news broke that Johnny Gaudreau informed the Calgary Flames he would test free agency. Asked if there was any chance the winger would circle back to Southern Alberta, GM Brad Treliving replied he didn’t anticipate it happening.

So, with just hours until the bell rings, here are some things to keep an eye on:

• All eyes are on New Jersey and Philadelphia for Gaudreau. The Flyers have indicated James van Riemsdyk will not be traded, because they are not willing to pay what it will cost to move the cap hit. One source indicated it was similar to what Toronto sent Carolina — a first-round draft pick — for the Hurricanes to take Patrick Marleau in 2019. And teams prefer Philadelphia’s 2023 pick, not the Florida 2024 selection acquired for Claude Giroux.

Assuming the Flyers stick to that philosophy, it’s hard to see a path for Gaudreau — barring another major move. If they’re in, they’re slow-playing this hand. They’re also believed to have interest in Dylan Strome.

New Jersey was the name on many lips Tuesday night. I’d be surprised if it was the Islanders. Let’s see what Wednesday brings. 

- Elliotte Friedman July 13, 2022, 1:30 AM

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If NJ does sign JG and Jesper Bratt wants to keep holding out, Fitz can just give him the Guerin special and swap him with CGY for Matthew Tkachuk (this is a joke,... mostly).

I would love for Tkachuk to be a Devil!  Unfortunately, that isn’t happening.

3 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Just after 8pm ET, news broke that Johnny Gaudreau informed the Calgary Flames he would test free agency. Asked if there was any chance the winger would circle back to Southern Alberta, GM Brad Treliving replied he didn’t anticipate it happening.

So, with just hours until the bell rings, here are some things to keep an eye on:

• All eyes are on New Jersey and Philadelphia for Gaudreau. The Flyers have indicated James van Riemsdyk will not be traded, because they are not willing to pay what it will cost to move the cap hit. One source indicated it was similar to what Toronto sent Carolina — a first-round draft pick — for the Hurricanes to take Patrick Marleau in 2019. And teams prefer Philadelphia’s 2023 pick, not the Florida 2024 selection acquired for Claude Giroux.

Assuming the Flyers stick to that philosophy, it’s hard to see a path for Gaudreau — barring another major move. If they’re in, they’re slow-playing this hand. They’re also believed to have interest in Dylan Strome.

New Jersey was the name on many lips Tuesday night. I’d be surprised if it was the Islanders. Let’s see what Wednesday brings. 

- Elliotte Friedman July 13, 2022, 1:30 AM

So it’s totally Gaudreau or bust. Zero plan B or C 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Are jerseys supposed to have ads on them this season? :puke:

r/CalgaryFlames - this just doesn't look right...

Teams have to start saying, "there is no amount of money we will take to have corporate America staining our sweaters". 

The logo on the front is more important that the companies that want to advertise. The ice/rink is for ads. Companies already get their ads, but the premium to be on a jersey must be high. 

I hate it. Hate it already. I get it, but I hate it. I'm going to send a nasty email pretending to be a STH. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And you know exactly why that will never happen. 

I love capitalism, big fan, but i want my team to be about the team first.  We can say, "but look how tiny it is on the jersey." Right, but that is how it started on the helmets. I liked when the team name was written out on there or a logo. 

I guess it's more of an armchair owner thing. "Well if I had all the money and say on the team business decisions..." 

Part of it is on fans to voice their opinions on it. I don't think it's boycott level of an issue, but if enough fans voice displeasure, well they have a little more power in today's day and age than say 20 years ago, thanks to social media and internet. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I love capitalism, big fan, but i want my team to be about the team first.  We can say, "but look how tiny it is on the jersey." Right, but that is how it started on the helmets. I liked when the team name was written out on there or a logo. 

I guess it's more of an armchair owner thing. "Well if I had all the money and say on the team business decisions..." 

Part of it is on fans to voice their opinions on it. I don't think it's boycott level of an issue, but if enough fans voice displeasure, well they have a little more power in today's day and age than say 20 years ago, thanks to social media and internet. 

I'm sure if you want to match the advertiser's revenue, they would be happy to have you pay to not put ads on. Short of that, I don't think it matters how much fans bitch and moan about it, its a business and they are going to get the money. Everyone knows teams don't turn down revenue, which is why the Brendan Byrne became the Continental Airlines Arena, and we moved to the Prudential Center. 

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Fans might complain but it ain't gonna stop them from buying the jerseys, exhibit A soccer fans

I don’t even know if the jerseys for sale will have it. And some people will get upset if they don’t and try to find the sponsor patch so their jersey can be “accurate”. 

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t even know if the jerseys for sale will have it. And some people will get upset if they don’t and try to find the sponsor patch so their jersey can be “accurate”. 

All I know is I want a jersey with the 40th anniversary patch, so they better make those patches available for sale. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

All I know is I want a jersey with the 40th anniversary patch, so they better make those patches available for sale. 

I just want the patch, I know I’m an old man yelling at clouds but I still cannot fully accept our current jerseys. I know I know “get over it, boomer”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I just want the patch, I know I’m an old man yelling at clouds but I still cannot fully accept our current jerseys. I know I know “get over it, boomer”

I already have a Bratt jersey in the new template. Nothing holds a candle to the old jerseys, but I’ve gotten used to the current style.

21 hours ago, jagknife said:

You’re not alone jag.  I’ve grown to tolerate the (not so) new jerseys.  I’ll never love them.  But at least the crest is still there.

21 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I already have a Bratt jersey in the new template. Nothing holds a candle to the old jerseys, but I’ve gotten used to the current style.

I have a 2017 Bratt Development Camp jersey…the only one he ever wore in the old style (also have a Wood from that same camp).  Hischier was part of that camp and for some reason wore #33.  That camp was the last time the old template was worn…when the 2017 preseason started, the new design made its on-ice debut.  And that was that.

• Like 1