2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

28 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Exactly. Feels like Mark Fayne should be in consideration too. 

He should. If he doesn’t hit that post in game 1, we win. And we probably win the Cup. So LA should give Fayne a statue too lol

Edited by MadDog2020

OK all,

As far as a number retirement goes, I get it.  He was the captain of two Cup-winning teams, and during both Cup runs raised his game well beyond his regular season numbers (especially in 2012).  He's the all-time leader in games played for the Kings franchise, and he played every single one of his games as a King.  

As far as the statue goes, my first thought (without knowing one way or the other, as I only really knew about Brown the player, and not even all that much in the department) was "OK, he had a fine career for the Kings, played there forever, but nothing that screams 'STATUE!'  There's gotta be more to it than that.  Maybe he's heavily involved in charity work and philanthropy?"  So I checked it out, and it turns out the guy is not only incredibly beloved in the LA area, but indeed is VERY heavily involved in charity work:

Dustin Brown Named Finalist for NHL Foundation Award

Kings to Retire Dustin Brown's No. 23 and Unveil Statue (nhl.com)

So the statue is really more for "Dustin Brown, The Entire Package, A Guy Who Gives Back and Keeps On Giving Back", than for just what he did on the ice.  And he's been involved with community work for YEARS, both during and after his career.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crisis said:

Sad story about Bobby Ryan.

"35-year-old storied NHL Hockey star Bobby Ryan was arrested in Nashville Monday at the Nashville International Airport. An airport store reported that Ryan had taken items and left without paying and alerted Airport Police, who observed him on security cameras. Ryan left the stolen items on a counter along his way and entered Little Harpeth Brewing, where officers found him seated at the bar ordering a drink. Police say he was not compliant with them, was extremely intoxicated, and did not know where he was, the date, or the time, and could not stand on his own. The store declined prosecution on the recovered items, and Ryan was jailed for public intoxication."

https://www.scoopnashville.com/2022/07/professional-hockey-player-bobby-ryan-arrested-at-nashville-airport/

Good to hear from Bobby. Hopefully he can get back on track.  It looks to be his real account but I’ve been duped before  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The whole “all of your eggs in one basket” argument…

If I remember right, Crosby took under market to extend with Pittsburgh and win some cups. I want to say MacKinnon as well but I’m not sure. I know Marty did it for us back in the day. 

15 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If I remember right, Crosby took under market to extend with Pittsburgh and win some cups. I want to say MacKinnon as well but I’m not sure. I know Marty did it for us back in the day. 

Crosby did but he also said it only works if everyone does it/buys into it.

Definitely worked for him historically but I think Pitts desire to keep the 3 of them together is gonna bite them in the ass hard

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Let's hope Hughes and our boys gets that mentality

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Crosby did but he also said it only works if everyone does it/buys into it.

Definitely worked for him historically but I think Pitts desire to keep the 3 of them together is gonna bite them in the ass hard

Oh yah. That's not a good long-term move at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

fully aware that this will be second hand information but when I had a few pops with Daneyko, I asked him about McLean and how it all went wrong. He said “he didn’t even know some of the guys names. Big guys too. Would just yell “hey number 8 get over here” and the team would be like “uh… you mean Zubrus?” He showed up unprepared and the team felt it.” 

I remember when he kept pronouncing “Henrique” as “on-REEK” when he was on during intermissions.  I love Johnny Mac, still my favorite Devil of all time, and man did I want him to work out as the head coach.  But yeah, it just went SO horribly wrong, nothing would surprise me about anything during his (mercifully) short coaching stint.

On 7/27/2022 at 6:23 PM, mfitz804 said:

The whole “all of your eggs in one basket” argument…

There's at least one guy on there that didn't take the biggest deal he was offered. Not sure how many of these deals were signed with the foresight of a flat cap.  Kane/Towes/Doughty got paid for their cups. Interesting graphic but depending on the lense it can be skewed. Plus Toronto will never win again.

Edited by titans04

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

“Eeel-eye-ash”. Couldn’t pronounce the greatest forward in our team’s history.

Yeah I remember that one too.  Part of me was thinking “Geez Johnny, if you’re the ONLY one pronouncing these names this way…”

On 7/28/2022 at 7:49 PM, MB3 said:

fully aware that this will be second hand information but when I had a few pops with Daneyko, I asked him about McLean and how it all went wrong. He said “he didn’t even know some of the guys names. Big guys too. Would just yell “hey number 8 get over here” and the team would be like “uh… you mean Zubrus?” He showed up unprepared and the team felt it.” 

Wasn't he an assistant for many years before being named the head coach?