2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Wasn't he an assistant for many years before being named the head coach?

Yeah, for like 7 years before taking over.   Hard to fathom he wouldnt know everyone on the team by name.  

This is the kind of stuff you might hear about Paterno or Bowden when they were like 100 years old and there’s 110 players with walk-ons to keep track of but not a 22 man roster in professional hockey.   

Man, gotta give the Flames some credit here...they were able to make the absolute best out of a potentially brutal situation.  Getting Huberdeau locked up so quickly is impressive.  They basically replaced JG and were able to get some pieces for Tkachuk.  

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man, gotta give the Flames some credit here...they were able to make the absolute best out of a potentially brutal situation.  Getting Huberdeau locked up so quickly is impressive.  They basically replaced JG and were able to get some pieces for Tkachuk.  

But they had to pay him 10.5mm for 8 years, starting next year at age 30…   It locks up a star player, but he is literally on his back 9 (years) at best.

5 minutes ago, aylbert said:

But they had to pay him 10.5mm for 8 years, starting next year at age 30…   It locks up a star player, but he is literally on his back 9 (years) at best.

They would've been in about the same boat had they signed JG, which they were willing to do...JG just didn't want to be there anymore.  

Yeah those deals are always risky, but at least the Flames get the chance to stay relevant for a while, instead of having to enter a rebuild (which of course doesn't automatically pay off).

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

100% agree. I think it is pretty brutal losing two of the top 20 players in the league. They got Huberdeau and locked him up AND they have Weegar. Calgary's defense is looking strong with him in the top 4.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They would've been in about the same boat had they signed JG, which they were willing to do...JG just didn't want to be there anymore.  

Yeah those deals are always risky, but at least the Flames get the chance to stay relevant for a while, instead of having to enter a rebuild (which of course doesn't automatically pay off).

Agreed Calgary needed a "win" after JG and Tkachuk wanted out, but I wouldn't be too excited by this. 

JG signed a 7 year / 9.75mm deal at 28, taking him to 35. 
Huberdeau signed longer, for more money and is 2 years older (on effective dates) with an 8year / 10.5 million deal starting the following season, taking him to 38.     

He's going to be unmovable and eat up a ton of cap space in the end (when they will need to embrace a full rebuild).  

11 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Agreed Calgary needed a "win" after JG and Tkachuk wanted out, but I wouldn't be too excited by this. 

JG signed a 7 year / 9.75mm deal at 28, taking him to 35. 
Huberdeau signed longer, for more money and is 2 years older (on effective dates) with an 8year / 10.5 million deal starting the following season, taking him to 38.     

He's going to be unmovable and eat up a ton of cap space in the end (when they will need to embrace a full rebuild).  

Oh there's plenty of "potential ugly" down the line, but the alternative (basically losing JG and Tkachuk for no significant "right now" pieces at all) would've been a lot worse.

If they get at least 4-5 good years out of him (and maybe a couple more "Not what he was but still pretty good" years), they did OK.  Doesn't sound great, but at least their window didn't shut with JG and Tkachuk leaving.  And any team that signs a player to a deal like that knows they're not getting 8 prime years out of such a contract.   

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I would love to have Oettinger here and would move either of the other two guys plus to do it. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

22A13460-E052-4DD4-97F3-930139483CB1.jpeg

Yep, without a doubt. Not sure how they would clear space in that the pieces they would be trying to unload probably have little value other than maybe VV. It would probably resemble a yard sale?

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I truly can’t imagine Dallas and Oettinger don’t get a deal done, somehow. I’m sure there are pieces they can move out to create cap space. 

I would think they do get a deal done as well, at the same time we should be moving on from some pieces regardless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Apparently the Rags are making Trouba their captain. Dirty - elbow throwing - head hunting son of a bitch that he is. Seems about right. 

I kinda really hope this causes locker rom problems since wasnt Kreider the anointed one when it came to being their next captain?

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

It's gonna be the Lou'est thing to do when he signs a 31 years old Kadri to a very bad long-term contract that's gonna bite them in the ass in 2-3 years already and he'll likely trade YOUNGER guys to make room for him too.

That team is going to be as old and slow as we were in a few years.

Also there's a chance he just let Barzal walk straight to free agency like he did with Anders Lee but i suspect Matt might walk.

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

they’re 1 bad season away from going to two consecutive conference finals, losing to tampa by a pube hair. It’s largely the same team and they’re in their window NOW. In 3-4 years it’s going to get really fvcking ugly for them, and at that point who really cares if Nazem Kadri is overpaid by a couple million bucks? He moves the needle now and they need that. 

There’s no issue getting barzal under the cap. They’ll have ~4m in cap space now, next year the cap will go up and their backup goalie frees up $5m. They’re fine.

My point was that it's going to get really fvcking ugly for them in a few years. You agreed with that. Let's keep it at that

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If you stopped your reply at the first sentence, you and I are in agreement. 

Since you didn't, we aren't.

Lou doesn't care about 3 years from now. The Islanders ownership probably doesn't either. Their window is shutting, this is what they needed. 

You're speaking like this is some strategy Lou is currently using because of that's the context the team is in lol

Lou never cared about 3 years from where he is at any point in his career. Precisely why we've been rebuilding for 10 years now after the gigantic hole he dug the franchise in

And the Islanders owner believe Lou won 4 cups. That goes to show what they know lol 

Edited by SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Sad news... 

Just saw this too and was about to post.

Poor dude, glad the Oilers took him in and made the last little while happy memories for him and his family. Hell even the Blues’ Leila Anderson and him became friends under the awful circumstances.

Hope his family gets through this okay

• Like 6