2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

can't even imagine the heartbreak and the feeling of how life isn't fair.  It was amazing to see how dedicated the Oilers from McD on down were when it came trying to make Ben and his family feel special last season and through the playoffs.  Good on them.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

A lot of people thought he was a good idea for us. I am glad we didn't do it, but in fairness this would be EXACTLY the kind of guy we would get after the past two years. 

Never want him anywhere near this team. Glad he conquered his demons, but he’s a loose cannon otherwise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Their own rookie, Logan Thompson, played very well also, I assume they will go with him. 

Very true. That’s just a lot to put on a rookie. And the free agency leftovers is like… the shell of Braden Holtby. Yikes. Even Gillies and the Hamburglar got inked

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Very true. That’s just a lot to put on a rookie. And the free agency leftovers is like… the shell of Braden Holtby. Yikes. Even Gillies and the Hamburglar got inked

Right but the previous post suggested they get Oettinger, it’s not that different to just play the guy they already have. 

On 8/10/2022 at 5:27 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Sad news... 

As the parent of a 2 1/2 year old, I have no idea how one ever recovers from losing such a beautiful little boy but hopefully there is a day where instead of bringing sadness, his parents can just look at that pic with Connor McDavid and smile and think how bad ass that is.  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 4

OK, so I need a little help on this one. The Jets are retiring the numbers of Teppo Numminen and Teemu Selanne. 

The Jets that Teppo and Teemu played for don't exist anymore. The current Jets moved to Winnipeg from Atlanta, and took the old team's name. Neither Teppo or Teeum ever played for THIS franchise. 

At first glance, sure, the Jets should definitely retire at least Teemu Selanne's number. But these aren't the Jets he played for, they are in Arizona!!

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/jets-celebrate-teemu-selanne-teppo-numminen-with-hall-of-fame-induction/c-335303706

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

OK, so I need a little help on this one. The Jets are retiring the numbers of Teppo Numminen and Teemu Selanne. 

The Jets that Teppo and Teemu played for don't exist anymore. The current Jets moved to Winnipeg from Atlanta, and took the old team's name. Neither Teppo or Teeum ever played for THIS franchise. 

At first glance, sure, the Jets should definitely retire at least Teemu Selanne's number. But these aren't the Jets he played for, they are in Arizona!!

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/jets-celebrate-teemu-selanne-teppo-numminen-with-hall-of-fame-induction/c-335303706

Teppo even played slightly more games in Phoenix then he did in Winnipeg.

Teemu's career with the Jets was a whopping 231 games...237 if you want to count the 6 playoff games he played with them.  The bulk of his career was spent with the Mighty Ducks/Ducks.  

But yeah, the point is they never played a single minute for "these" Winnipeg Jets.  The franchises have nothing in common but a location and nickname, and yeah, Teppo and Teemu have NO connection to this franchise.  It's beyond bizarre.   

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is the dumbest thing yet. It would be like the Devils retiring Lanny McDonald’s number.

Edited by MadDog2020

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Was Winnipeg one of the cities that sued to keep their team name and records?  If so, then it makes sense to me.  I mean, if they turn around and retire Kovy as well for his contributions as a Thrasher then I think there becomes a problem.  I kind of prefer that they retire the number of the guys who actually played their games in the actual city vs following the technical lineage of the current franchise.   

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Was Winnipeg one of the cities that sued to keep their team name and records?  If so, then it makes sense to me.  I mean, if they turn around and retire Kovy as well for his contributions as a Thrasher then I think there becomes a problem.  I kind of prefer that they retire the number of the guys who actually played their games in the actual city vs following the technical lineage of the current franchise.   

So we should retire the numbers of some Newark Bulldogs, then. 

Their numbers don't deserve to be retired but I definitely have higher standards with this stuff. 

I hate the franchise stuff, just like I hate the Rockies and Scouts sh!t. Those teams may have moved here but they aren't my team. At least the Winnipeg fans actually saw these guys play, they played under the name and in that city.

The franchise stuff is just past failures. I'd love for the Avalanche to own the Rockies stuff and whoever to own the Scouts stuff so we never have to see an embarrassing retro jersey for failed franchises that have nothing to do with the New Jersey Devils besides being failed teams that were stepping stones to getting our team.

Edited by Satans Hockey

37 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I hate the franchise stuff, just like I hate the Rockies and Scouts sh!t. Those teams may have moved here but they aren't my team. At least the Winnipeg fans actually saw these guys play, they played under the name and in that city.

Should the Mets and Yankees retire a bunch of NY Giants’ numbers? 

For the love of God don’t give anyone associated with the Devils any ideas…

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's really not a similar situation to this one though. The Winnipeg Jets are still the Winnipeg Jets, it's the same name, they have worn the old jerseys, the old and new arena locations are like 15 mins apart. It's still that cities team and name. 

I'm not a baseball fan whatsoever but a quick look at Wikipedia says the Yankees and Giants were rivals and played each other in 6 world series so that would be pretty odd to honor a rival teams players lol

Didn't know the Mets NY logo was something similar to what the Giants wore nor that they wore blue to honor the dodgers and orange to honor the giants and they played at polo grounds where the giants played so at least there's a lot more connection there. 

But it looks like they did honor the Dodgers lol... 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/shea-hey-fans-protest-mets-faithful-new-citi-field-pays-tribute-ebbets-article-1.363656

"There's a glaring lack of Shea reminders amid an odd abundance of tributes to the long-departed Brooklyn Dodgers and Ebbets Field, fans say.

"All I know is there's got to be Mets stuff or it's embarrassing," said WFAN midday radio show host Evan Roberts. "It's a cold feeling and it doesn't feel like your home."l

Sporting a facade that mimics the masonry of the Dodgers' old digs, Citi Field also has the Jackie Robinson Rotunda - with photos and film of Dodgers stars and Ebbets Field - and a field-level eatery named the Ebbets Club." 

Jason Antos, who wrote "Shea Stadium: Images of Baseball," was puzzled by the emphasis on Ebbets Field, which never hosted the Mets and represents Brooklyn, not Queens.

"It's a little confusing why, in the stadium where the Mets are playing, there's so much attention being paid to Brooklyn Dodgers history," Antos said."

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's really not a similar situation to this one though. The Winnipeg Jets are still the Winnipeg Jets, it's the same name, they have worn the old jerseys, the old and new arena locations are like 15 mins apart. It's still that cities team and name. 

I'm not a baseball fan whatsoever but a quick look at Wikipedia says the Yankees and Giants were rivals and played each other in 6 world series so that would be pretty odd to honor a rival teams players lol

Didn't know the Mets NY logo was something similar to what the Giants wore nor that they wore blue to honor the dodgers and orange to honor the giants and they played at polo grounds where the giants played so at least there's a lot more connection there. 

But it looks like they did honor the Dodgers lol... 

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/queens/shea-hey-fans-protest-mets-faithful-new-citi-field-pays-tribute-ebbets-article-1.363656

"There's a glaring lack of Shea reminders amid an odd abundance of tributes to the long-departed Brooklyn Dodgers and Ebbets Field, fans say.

"All I know is there's got to be Mets stuff or it's embarrassing," said WFAN midday radio show host Evan Roberts. "It's a cold feeling and it doesn't feel like your home."l

Sporting a facade that mimics the masonry of the Dodgers' old digs, Citi Field also has the Jackie Robinson Rotunda - with photos and film of Dodgers stars and Ebbets Field - and a field-level eatery named the Ebbets Club." 

Jason Antos, who wrote "Shea Stadium: Images of Baseball," was puzzled by the emphasis on Ebbets Field, which never hosted the Mets and represents Brooklyn, not Queens.

"It's a little confusing why, in the stadium where the Mets are playing, there's so much attention being paid to Brooklyn Dodgers history," Antos said."

The Mets-Brooklyn Dodgers thing is stupid also. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The Mets-Brooklyn Dodgers thing is stupid also. 

I didn’t mind the stadium having some design elements based on Ebbets Field, but the idiot Wilpons (yes that’s redundant) went entirely too far with the Dodgers crap for sure…apparently because Fred Wilpon is obsessed with the Dodgers, he assumed that the Met fanbase must be too.  He admitted that he screwed up, in that CitiField didn’t really feel like the Mets’ home park until several changes were made, but that’s how Freddy and Jeffy rolled…they never knew the right thing to do until they were told what the right thing was.  They were the fvcking WORST.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn’t mind the stadium having some design elements based on Ebbets Field, but the idiot Wilpons (yes that’s redundant) went entirely too far with the Dodgers crap for sure…apparently because Fred Wilpon is obsessed with the Dodgers, he assumed that the Met fanbase must be too.  He admitted that he screwed up, in that CitiField didn’t really feel like the Mets’ home park until several changes were made, but that’s how Freddy and Jeffy rolled…they never knew the right thing to do until they were told what the right thing was.  They were the fvcking WORST.  

The Glazer family says, “you should read our Idiots Guide to Ruin a 100+ year old Franchise”

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Not really apples to apples.  

Say our version of the Devils had left for the new arena in Quebec somewhere around 2012 but then Harris and Blitzer were able to buy the Coyotes in 2016 and moved them to NJ and renamed them the New Jersey Devils.   Would you rather see this new version of the New Jersey Devils honor Shane Doan with a number retirement, or Brodeur and Elias?  It's still debatable but not really as simple as you're making it out to be.  Personally, after watching the latter two for so many years, I would rather see them honored in the rafters of the rock even it they technically played for another franchise that was now in Canada.       

• Like 4

I've always been of the opinion that the franchise should stay in that city and just become defunct or dormant, regardless of where it is moved to.  For example, the Scouts and their history should stay in KC, the Rockies should stay in Colorado, and none of that history should be transferred to NJ when the team was moved here.  99% of fans here in NJ do not care (or even know) about the teams fielded when the club played in KC and Denver. 

In the case of teams like Winnipeg or the Cleveland Browns where the team returns years later, the history and records attaches to that new team.  Just my 2 cents   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Not really apples to apples.  

Say our version of the Devils had left for the new arena in Quebec somewhere around 2012 but then Harris and Blitzer were able to buy the Coyotes in 2016 and moved them to NJ and renamed them the New Jersey Devils.   Would you rather see this new version of the New Jersey Devils honor Shane Doan with a number retirement, or Brodeur and Elias?  It's still debatable but not really as simple as you're making it out to be.  Personally, after watching the latter two for so many years, I would rather see them honored in the rafters of the rock even it they technically played for another franchise that was now in Canada.       

I still feel like the player should have played for your team before you retire their number. Those guys never played for that organization.  Not one game. 

Edited by mfitz804