2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I still feel like the player should have played for your team Glendora you retire their number. Those guys never played for that organization.  Not one game. 

Which is a fair position but IMO, the players performed in Winnipeg for the Jets so I'm fine with it.  Even though it is technically a different team, the older portion of the fan base is presumably all the same people.  I'm 46 and remember Selanne's 76 goal rookie season in '93 pretty clearly.  I see no problem with the Winnipeg Jets and their fans, many of whom were in the old Winnipeg Arena for those games, honoring that.     

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I still feel like the player should have played for your team Glendora you retire their number. Those guys never played for that organization.  Not one game. 

Yeah it's definitely weird when the players retired aren't in the official franchise record books.

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Which is a fair position but IMO, the players performed in Winnipeg for the Jets so I'm fine with it.  Even though it is technically a different team, the older portion of the fan base is presumably all the same people.  I'm 46 and remember Selanne's 76 goal rookie season in '93 pretty clearly.  I see no problem with the Winnipeg Jets and their fans, many of whom were in the old Winnipeg Arena for those games, honoring that.     

im feeling the same way. That's the city he played in and for those fans. Would be weird to have his numbers retired in a city he never really played for too when you think about it.

Mario Lemieux number is retired in Bathurst for the Titan in the Q and i always thought it was "cool" cause it's Mario Lemieux but it makes no sense too cause he literally never step foot in Bathurst im pretty sure lol

Tre doing everything he can to mitigate the situation in CGY and all things considered he may be doing a pretty damn good job if he doesn't have to sell the farm here... Then again if you don't sell the farm what does it get you anyway? Go for it now and Dela with the consequences later, I guess.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Monahan is traded to MTL to make room for Kadri.

If that deal is 7 years and expensive. It's gonna be ugly by the end of Huberdeau and Kadri's contract.

7 years @ $7 million AAV for Kadri.

If the Flames win a Cup, or are at the very least making the playoffs every year (with some deep runs), they'll live with those contracts aging badly at the end.  They have a ton of UFAs coming up over the next few years...some great opportunities for them to try to build from within.  2024-2025 could see the Flames look like a much different team, depending on how many UFAs they retain.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s a pretty respected prospect for Tampa, aI wouldn’t mind him here. 

More than a prospect. He’s already played 155 games for them. Solid player. 

It’s just nice to see a guy talking about growing up a Devils fan, and not the Rags or Flyers. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

More than a prospect. He’s already played 155 games for them. Solid player. 

It’s just nice to see a guy talking about growing up a Devils fan, and not the Rags or Flyers. 

Yeah, didn’t realize he already had that many games played. 

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Montreal is way over the cap.   Does this means Carey Price is done?  

It doesn't sound good. Kent Hughes said he doesn't expect Price to return for '22-23. He needs another surgery. He's 35. He has a Hart/Vezina back in '14-15. Carried them to the SCF on a bad knee. If it's over, I don't know if Carey is a Hall of Famer. There's still 3-4 years left on his deal. 

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Montreal is way over the cap.   Does this means Carey Price is done?  

The Monahan trade took care of their cap issues, according to Capfriendly.

The Flames had to include a first-rounder to make it work...lots of different scenarios, as to when the Canadiens take possession of a Flames' first-rounder (the Flames also have the Panthers' 2025 first-rounder...depending on what happens, Montreal could wind up drafting from Calgary's slot, or Florida's in 2025):

Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: 1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

Calgary Flames Acquire:
Logo of the Calgary Flames
Future Considerations

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. Lou seems worse than he was when he was here. Like he’s trolling everyone with his anti-2022 way of doing business. 

Yeah it's been discussed and I don't want to pave the way for a certain someone to repeat all of the same things about Lou's MO we're all familiar with, but Lou really hasn't done a good job with the Islanders.  Due to his past history with the Devils and the many years of success that they had during his run, it's easy for some to say "Must be Lou" when the Islanders reached back-to-back ECFs, but outside of nabbing a coach who had just won a Cup (and was somehow available...kudos to Lou for jumping on that at least), how much has he really done there to move the train forward?  He inherited a good bit of talent, but how much has he really added to it or enriched it?  This is a huge year for him and his team...if they miss the playoffs again and are looking iffy for the future, I can understand it if the Isles wonder if the game has passed Lou by, and simply decide it's time to move on.

He's going to be 80 years old in October...that would be a sad way to go out (not on his own terms), but at the same time, he'll still leave behind a hell of a career, and will be remembered far more for his successes than his failures.  He'll still have a mostly positive legacy, one of those guys who will come up in many "Best of" conversations.

Or another way to put it...if I'm an Islanders fan, I don't care what Lou did in the 90s and 00s with the Devils...I'm in "What is he DOING?!" mode.  Based on his body of work with the Isles, if I'm judging solely by that, I'm not blindly believing that he's going to have the answers...short term or long.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Isn’t that what Lou did last offseason? Announced all the signings at once?

There was some idiot on Facebook just this morning talking about how Lou signed nobody, I didn't bother pointing out that its just what he always does, I bet some of those contracts were not signed today, and were in fact signed weeks ago.