2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

3 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I think he would have rebuilt the team sooner.  I think the reason why he left was because the ownership wanted to take the team another direction. 

Meh. He don't. They have good core and some good prospects. Their previous season was hard because covid, new arena and no one said that east is an easy road. They were the closest and had a good second half.

Of course big part is goaltending  but nyr goaltending is big part, even Tampa Bay goaltending is a big part. Boston and Carolina goaltending were not a big part because of great defense, and Washington, Florida and Toronto goaltending were not because great offense. 

But even Carolina, Boston, wsh Florida have average goalies. Or above. 

Lou traded two very late first and drafted Raty in the late second. He traded early first for Romanov and drafted Odelius. Having young Romanov, Raty and Odelius from three draft, where you should draft in the end of the first round twice, is great. 

They have  great defensemen, they have vezina caliber goalie, they have good offensive core, and they have Wahlstrom and Raty. Ofcourse Lou should think about trade some offensive guys here and there, but he definitely should not making rebuild. His offensive core can work, may be he could make offensive retooling. But as I understand he is there for winning and for compete. And this team is doing that. Even in a bad season, they have enough points to call it "unluck" , not disaster. I believe Islanders will go down in future, because goalies can't be consistent in modern hockey, and their offensive core isn't young, but I can't say it will happen tommorow. And even two ECF is a good result for them.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:52 PM, mfitz804 said:

OK, so I need a little help on this one. The Jets are retiring the numbers of Teppo Numminen and Teemu Selanne. 

The Jets that Teppo and Teemu played for don't exist anymore. The current Jets moved to Winnipeg from Atlanta, and took the old team's name. Neither Teppo or Teeum ever played for THIS franchise. 

At first glance, sure, the Jets should definitely retire at least Teemu Selanne's number. But these aren't the Jets he played for, they are in Arizona!!

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/jets-celebrate-teemu-selanne-teppo-numminen-with-hall-of-fame-induction/c-335303706

How about the Mets retiring Willie Mays’ number? Obviously a legend, but barely played for the Mets. And played a few years (7?) in New York with a completely different franchise. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

How about the Mets retiring Willie Mays’ number? Obviously a legend, but barely played for the Mets. And played a few years (7?) in New York with a completely different franchise. 

Maybe hoping for some good juju? Because as we all know, if the Mets are doing great in August, they're a shoe-in for the World Series /s

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Maybe hoping for some good juju? Because as we all know, if the Mets are doing great in August, they're a shoe-in for the World Series /s

Maybe. I still find it weird. But I mean, it is Willie Mays at least. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe. I still find it weird. But I mean, it is Willie Mays at least. 

Strawberry was on the Kay show the other day talking about Old Timers day, I know he was incredibly controversial back in his day; but after his recovery I'm honestly surprised the Mets haven't given him a number retirement. One of the best hitters they ever had. I'm not super into baseball, but growing up everyone in my family was a Yankee fan, and all the Yankee fans I knew from school were also Ranger fans, s I always disliked the Yankees on principle. I won a signed Mets Dwight Gooden plaque when I was a little-leaguer so I've always secretly rooted for the Mets. 

But I literally know jack sh!t about baseball and it bores me, but I know I enjoy seeing Yankee fans cry

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

the entire league retired 42. 

willie mays is one of the goats but retiring a jersey for a dude who had a cup of coffee with your team is a borderline rangers move. 

That’s the difference I was referring to.

But, I saw at least 3 separate news broadcasts making the comparison that both were retired because they were great New York baseball players and that the Mets paid tribute to both teams when they were created (Giants logo & orange, and Dodgers blue).

I would say it was a cash grab, but they did it without telling anyone lol. 

48 minutes ago, MB3 said:

the entire league retired 42. 

willie mays is one of the goats but retiring a jersey for a dude who had a cup of coffee with your team is a borderline rangers move. 

It's more of a "New York National League History Move", than anything else.  For fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants who saw their teams leave, and then became Mets fans.  You are right in that strictly off player performance and what Mays actually did in a Met uniform, his number being retired seems silly.  If you're going more by what he meant to pre-Met New York NL baseball fans and trying to find a way to honor him, then I get it.  It's about as symbolic of a number retirement as it gets.

32 minutes ago, MB3 said:

mets fans are going to shake their angry fist at me but it seems like a way of inventing history and culture and historical relevance to a franchise that might be lacking in those three areas. 

No angry fists from me.  I can definitely see why some would knock this.  

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's more of a "New York National League History Move", than anything else.  For fans of the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants who saw their teams leave, and then became Mets fans.  You are right in that strictly off player performance and what Mays actually did in a Met uniform, his number being retired seems silly.  If you're going more by what he meant to pre-Met New York NL baseball fans and trying to find a way to honor him, then I get it.  It's about as symbolic of a number retirement as it gets.

No angry fists from me.  I can definitely see why some would knock this.  

I do too, if you want to hang up a plaque somewhere, that would be awesome. But that's not what numbers get retired for. If it was, we would have like 60 Yankees numbers to retire lol. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I do too, if you want to hang up a plaque somewhere, that would be awesome. But that's not what numbers get retired for. If it was, we would have like 60 Yankees numbers to retire lol. 

To be clear, I don’t love the move.  I would’ve understood it a little better If Mays had played a lot longer in NY than he did.  He was in SF a long long time…it feels like that version of the Giants owns his legacy.

Starting with the Dodgers stuff in Citi, the Mets have gobbled up pre-1957 NY NL history as theirs to represent, as they see fit.  And yeah, that’s going to open them up to some criticism for sure…even from their own fans.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Starting with the Dodgers stuff in Citi, the Mets have gobbled up pre-1957 NY NL history as theirs to represent, as they see fit.  And yeah, that’s going to open them up to some criticism for sure…even from their own fans.

Definitely. Although, I am sure to some older fans, it is more meaningful. My father was a big Brooklyn Dodgers fan and avid Yankees hater. When the Dodgers moved, it might have killed his love of baseball completely, as following anything other than your local team was pretty hard at that point in time. 

The Mets bringing NL baseball back to New York was exactly what he needed and he was a Mets fan from 1962. For him, going to Citi Field and seeing the Jackie Robinson/Brooklyn Dodgers stuff was probably much different than it was for me. 

On 8/29/2022 at 10:05 AM, mfitz804 said:

Definitely. Although, I am sure to some older fans, it is more meaningful. My father was a big Brooklyn Dodgers fan and avid Yankees hater. When the Dodgers moved, it might have killed his love of baseball completely, as following anything other than your local team was pretty hard at that point in time. 

The Mets bringing NL baseball back to New York was exactly what he needed and he was a Mets fan from 1962. For him, going to Citi Field and seeing the Jackie Robinson/Brooklyn Dodgers stuff was probably much different than it was for me. 

Count me a Brooklyn Dodgers fans, although I was really young. At the time they had 3 MLB teams in triple-state area. My oldest brother had a B.D. penant on his wall. Loved Koufax/Drysdale, Camponella etc. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

They better hope that wasn't a 1 year fluke, never scored more than 8 goals previously 

Exactly. That’s a big investment based off of one season. On the other hand he is a skating giraffe and that’s kind of cool. 

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Our ears also endured months of abuse.

I wouldn't bother her on social media with nasty comments but she's absolutely awful at her job which is calling games. She called a few Devils games and got players names wrong numerous times.

Does the article mention that she constantly messed up players names and couldn’t seem to tell what was going on? Her gender has nothing to do with why many fans can’t stand her , but I’m sure fans attacked her for being a woman because social media is a cesspool. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Does the article mention that she constantly messed up players names and couldn’t seem to tell what was going on? Her gender has nothing to do with why many fans can’t stand her , but I’m sure fans attacked her for being a woman because social media is a cesspool. 

You summed it up.  She was lousy at her job...that was the issue...her gender wasn't.  But the fact that she was a woman gives some of those who didn't like her on-air work one extra (unnecessary) thing to pick at...or to attempt to correlate her not being good at this particular job to the fact that she was indeed a woman.  

41 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’ve gotta be honest….. it’s the internet. It’s twitter, specifically. I saw a guy post “Kill yourself.” in response to one of the podcaster I follow posting his golf swing. It’s no-filter 16 year old “edge lord” neckbeards.

Happens everywhere. Even NJDevs lol. 

42 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I didn’t read the article, but she wasn’t hated because she was a woman. She was hated because she gave zero effort, had zero ability, had zero desire to get better, showed literally no interest in pronouncing half of the league’s names correctly, and was still gifted a high-paying seat on a hockey network because of her last name and seemingly nothing else. 

Not entirely the truth. Some people hated her for that reason. Many also went after her because she is a woman and they don’t think a woman should have that job because they don’t know anything about hockey. 

I didn’t read the article either (paywall) but I am fairly sure she isn’t complaining because people don’t like her voice, style or ability. 

Idk, it just shows how deep the problem is rooted when the replies started with "well she sucks at her job, but.." like that somehow gives even the most microscopic shred of permission or justification for the way she was treated or the things that were said to her.  Criticism of her work is one thing and I don't think she could have gotten to where she is if reading "kill yourself" got to her.

Here is a snippet from the article for those that did not read it.

A game in late April became a flashpoint. Hextall was stationed between the benches for a postseason preview featuring the Tampa Bay Lightning and Toronto Maple Leafs. Two players with iron knuckles began an animated discussion, yelling across the area where Hextall was standing.

The Lightning’s Pat Maroon was bellowing at the Leafs’ Wayne Simmonds, alleging both he and his Toronto teammates were soft. Sensing a story, Hextall requested to speak with Simmonds during her intermission segment. She smirked as she asked him about the exchange: “He called you ‘soft’ — my question is: Are you?”

“You should ask him,” Simmonds said. “We’ve never dropped the gloves. He’s never obliged me before. So I don’t know. I don’t think I’m the one that’s soft.”

That final snippet of the interview went viral online. An unverified Twitter account bearing the name of former NHL referee Tim Peel was harshly critical of Hextall: “Asking Wayne Simmons’s [sic] if he is soft might be one of the most ridiculous questions I have ever heard. Do your homework.”

“I’m just going to say it,” said Hextall. “If I was a man, I don’t think that’s what he would have done.”

The tweet picked up steam, and her question rocketed around the internet without any context.

“I know Wayne Simmonds isn’t soft,” said Hextall. “Wayne Simmonds knows he isn’t soft. I’m building on the drama of what’s been going on in the game, and I can’t help it that you didn’t watch the game and only saw the clip — that’s on you, not on me.”