Jump to content

2021-2022 Around the League thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This was determined over a month ago. I’m annoyed too, but we can quit beating the horse. It’s dead. We don’t need to re-hash it every time there’s a coach hiring. 

I'm reserved to the fact that Ruff is here to stay. He develops young players and that's what gives him staying power with Fitz and ownership, at least for another 5-6 years. I expect this team to be in the toilet for a very long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I'm reserved to the fact that Ruff is here to stay. He develops young players and that's what gives him staying power with Fitz and ownership, at least for another 5-6 years. I expect this team to be in the toilet for a very long time. 

Some of you guys really need to back away from the ledge on some of these takes. You’d think there was no talent on this roster whatsoever or nothing at all to build around. The ‘sky is falling through the ground’ takes get old after a while. You’d think we’re the fvcking Coyotes with the way some of you go on. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I wasn’t intending to rehash anything. I’ve just grown increasingly tired of the Shero-Fitz steady-as-she-goes-over-the-cliff approach. Everything is a wait and see, there’s no accountability, and there’s clearly a fear of making any changes. I believe in having a plan and sticking to it, but sometimes you need to deviate from the plan and adapt. 

I’d like more than anything for Fitz to have an aggressive offseason and prove me wrong. 

My hope is Fitz is just incompetent.  My fear is that his hands are tied by those above him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Some of you guys really need to back away from the ledge on some of these takes. You’d think there was no talent on this roster whatsoever or nothing at all to build around. The ‘sky is falling through the ground’ takes get old after a while. You’d think we’re the fvcking Coyotes with the way some of you go on. 

Well we only earned 5 more points than Arizona this past season, so we are certainly closer to them than the lowest seed of the 16 playoff teams (Nashville who had 34 more points than the Devils).

I don't think we are in the same death spiral that Arizona seems to have who is a complete mess from top to bottom.  However, it looks like Devils management is fine spinning their tires at where they are at.  Keeping Ruff, Fitz again selecting his assistants, etc. are just more of the same.  Things probably could change in a hurry if they have a great offseason, but then again how many times have the Devils "won" the offseason in the past 5-6 years only to fall flat on their faces during the season?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I wasn’t intending to rehash anything. I’ve just grown increasingly tired of the Shero-Fitz steady-as-she-goes-over-the-cliff approach. Everything is a wait and see, there’s no accountability, and there’s clearly a fear of making any changes. I believe in having a plan and sticking to it, but sometimes you need to deviate from the plan and adapt. 

I’d like more than anything for Fitz to have an aggressive offseason and prove me wrong. 

You do understand that this is just your own perception and not reality right? Cause you don't have to dig too deep to realize almost everything you said is false lol

Not sure how someone can say there's no accountability when one of the GM you mentioned literally got fired lol

And i really don't need to point out when they deviated from the plan. I mean come on

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

I'm reserved to the fact that Ruff is here to stay. He develops young players and that's what gives him staying power with Fitz and ownership, at least for another 5-6 years. I expect this team to be in the toilet for a very long time. 

oh for fvcks sake lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

You’d think we’re the fvcking Coyotes with the way some of you go on. 

When we play in front of a 5,000 person crowd, at least we do it in a big arena!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't think we are in the same death spiral that Arizona seems to have who is a complete mess from top to bottom.  However, it looks like Devils management is fine spinning their tires at where they are at.  Keeping Ruff, Fitz again selecting his assistants, etc. are just more of the same.  Things probably could change in a hurry if they have a great offseason, but then again how many times have the Devils "won" the offseason in the past 5-6 years only to fall flat on their faces during the season?

Make no mistake- I am not happy about Ruff being retained. I wanted a clean sweep. But we’re stuck with him. So complaining about it at this point, for me, does nothing. I’m reserving complete final judgement on Fitz until I see what he does this summer. This is gonna be his make or break offseason, and what he does (or doesn’t do) is going to set the course of the franchise for the next several years. He better be aggressive and unrelenting. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You do understand that this is just your own perception and not reality right? Cause you don't have to dig too deep to realize almost everything you said is false lol

Not sure how someone can say there's no accountability when one of the GM you mentioned literally got fired lol

And i really don't need to point out when they deviated from the plan. I mean come on

There is no accountability FROM the GMs. He didn’t fire himself. When was he fired? When he refused to fire his incompetent coaching staff for so long that ownership had to step in. I don’t want this franchise to waste another season or two hemming and hawing. 

Fitz picking the coaching staff for Ruff again shows that he’s learned nothing. He stuck with Nas far too long, and then stuck with Recchi when it was clear to the world that he couldn’t design a powerplay for a peewee team. If he’s going to fire the assistant coaches but wants Ruff, then give Ruff a real shot and let him choose his own staff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

There is no accountability FROM the GMs. He didn’t fire himself. When was he fired? When he refused to fire his incompetent coaching staff for so long that ownership had to step in. I don’t want this franchise to waste another season or two hemming and hawing. 

Fitz picking the coaching staff for Ruff again shows that he’s learned nothing. He stuck with Nas far too long, and then stuck with Recchi when it was clear to the world that he couldn’t design a powerplay for a peewee team. If he’s going to fire the assistant coaches but wants Ruff, then give Ruff a real shot and let him choose his own staff. 

Depends, of course, on who we get. If we get two great coaches and the powerplay and PK are amazing, and the defense looks like it has played hockey before, that’ll be fine. 

Problem is, nobody should have any faith in his ability to do that at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

There is no accountability FROM the GMs. He didn’t fire himself. When was he fired? When he refused to fire his incompetent coaching staff for so long that ownership had to step in. I don’t want this franchise to waste another season or two hemming and hawing. 

Fitz picking the coaching staff for Ruff again shows that he’s learned nothing. He stuck with Nas far too long, and then stuck with Recchi when it was clear to the world that he couldn’t design a powerplay for a peewee team. If he’s going to fire the assistant coaches but wants Ruff, then give Ruff a real shot and let him choose his own staff. 

Didn't we let go of Recchi and Nas? That's accountability.

Was it too late? yah. We all WANTED it to happen sooner but it wouldn't have changed anything overall anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Didn't we let go of Recchi and Nas? That's accountability.

Was it too late? yah. We all WANTED it to happen sooner but it wouldn't have changed anything overall anyway.

This is literally my point. He waited far too long. Nas was here for like 7 years and the defense has been disorganized to say the least.  Recchi was trotting out a terrible paint-by-numbers powerplay all season. Nothing was changed. That’s either on Fitz or Ruff. When you get 25-30 games into a season that isn’t going how you planned, something needs to change. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Depends, of course, on who we get. If we get two great coaches and the powerplay and PK are amazing, and the defense looks like it has played hockey before, that’ll be fine. 

Problem is, nobody should have any faith in his ability to do that at this point.

That’s what I’m saying. I don’t trust Fitz to do that. I’m a firm believer on letting your head coach choose his own coaching staff. If you don’t trust him to do that, why is he there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That’s what I’m saying. I don’t trust Fitz to do that. I’m a firm believer on letting your head coach choose his own coaching staff. If you don’t trust him to do that, why is he there?

I don’t know who either of them would pick. How do we know Ruff is any good at picking them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know who either of them would pick. How do we know Ruff is any good at picking them?

You don't but at least Ruff has a little more hands on experience so he knows what type of assistants this team needs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This is literally my point. He waited far too long. Nas was here for like 7 years and the defense has been disorganized to say the least.  Recchi was trotting out a terrible paint-by-numbers powerplay all season. Nothing was changed. That’s either on Fitz or Ruff. When you get 25-30 games into a season that isn’t going how you planned, something needs to change. 

We went through a season where our best players missed a large chunk of the season and where both our goalies got injured and finding a good replacement was almost impossible or not worth the cost for a temporary goalie.

We can hate on "non-decision" as much as we want. But nothing could have saved this season anyway and management knew this. As fans we just WANT to see something done to feel something is done. but there's no point doing things just for the sake of doing them either, if the season is lost, just prep for next one. Not like we were going for the cup or anything

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5-6 more years may sound far fetched but Nas survived for 5+ years so it wouldnt be a stretch to see Ruff stick around and get extended. Especially when our top players say they want him here and love playing for him. And if he does, he'd be developing our star players into their mid-late 20s with the rest in tow. The assistants will be "Fitzy Specials". And yes, we could certainly miss the playoffs during this time entire time period. And yes Ruff will come cheaper than Trotz or other available coaches, so a win for ownership. 

Sure, Fitz could swing for the fences and have an incredible offseason but the chances are he'd probably have a similar one to seasons past and stay the course. All I'm saying is there's a good chance we're stuck in this phase for longer than we anticipated. I hope I'm dead wrong. 

Edited by slasher72
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We went through a season where our best players missed a large chunk of the season and where both our goalies got injured and finding a good replacement was almost impossible or not worth the cost for a temporary goalie.

We can hate on "non-decision" as much as we want. But nothing could have saved this season anyway and management knew this. As fans we just WANT to see something done to feel something is done. but there's no point doing things just for the sake of doing them either, if the season is lost, just prep for next one. Not like we were going for the cup or anything

Agree. But part of the prep for next season should have been moving on from this coaching staff. It couldn’t be any more obvious how bad they are (were). 

I don’t know what Ruff did, if anything, that warrants him not being chopped too. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree. But part of the prep for next season should have been moving on from this coaching staff. It couldn’t be any more obvious how bad they are (were). 

I don’t know what Ruff did, if anything, that warrants him not being chopped too. 

Jack's vote of confidence saved him, IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Jack's vote of confidence saved him, IMO

 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I honestly think that’s what did it too. 

It’s kind of like how Charlie Bucket chose Grandpa Joe to go to the Chocolate Factory. He likes the old dude, maybe he can make him dance. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I honestly think that’s what did it too. 

Of course. When the face of the franchise wants a coach to stay, the GM and ownership are going to keep him happy. And I feel ownership also prefers Ruff because he doesnt break the bank. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We went through a season where our best players missed a large chunk of the season and where both our goalies got injured and finding a good replacement was almost impossible or not worth the cost for a temporary goalie.

We can hate on "non-decision" as much as we want. But nothing could have saved this season anyway and management knew this. As fans we just WANT to see something done to feel something is done. but there's no point doing things just for the sake of doing them either, if the season is lost, just prep for next one. Not like we were going for the cup or anything

I understand what you’re saying, but aren’t you tired of us punting seasons? Other than one magical run where Hall dragged us into the playoffs in the last game of the year, it seems we’re done by December every season.

And I don’t necessarily agree with the idea of giving up when things go wrong. I feel like it sends a negative message to the rest of the team. Fitz saying the “answer is in the room” was a huge cop out and showed he wasn’t interested in helping the situation at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I honestly think that’s what did it too. 

That was probably huge. I still think the leash needs to be short though. It’s important to listen to your team leaders but within reason. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.