2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

All I know is Fitz better have a good backup plan, because Gaudreau probably isn’t happening. And whatever that plan is, it better net us a fvcking IMPACT player, not some schmuck whose team is dumping him so they can sign someone more important. 

Slow and steady now, we don’t want to rush things. It’s only been ten years. And who wants to take the chance on JG anyway, haven’t you read around here that there’s a chance his contract could look bad in five years? 

12 minutes ago, Guadana said:

This. God, please, make fir Philly it. Just let's they give their first.

….what?

24 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Slow and steady now, we don’t want to rush things. It’s only been ten years. And who wants to take the chance on JG anyway, haven’t you read around here that there’s a chance his contract could look bad in five years? 

….what?

Someone wants success on the long term.

17 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't know. This deal doesn't really make sense for buffalo unless cap reasons. They already have an aging Okposo on their right. 

Sabres have enough of cap space. Van Riems has only one year. I would trade with philly for him, if they give first round pick or something even middly interesting. He could be very useful in pp, he can hElp on the slot. And has only one year with 5mil in actual salary. If they want to pay for it, I’m in.

I don’t give a f about Gaudreau, because he is old small player who could add something we already have and his salary will cut everything we should really add. I like goals from rushes, but this tram need interior play to be competitive. I prefer to add someone on the shorter terms, who can help with interior play. Or/and trying to hunt for young establishment players, who is productive and help with our problems in the same time. 3-4 years of Gaudreau - great. 6-7? No thanks. I know how it ends. Even with Gaudreau this team could easily be outside of play off. Because no problem did solved. Where Team will find a money to solve it? Nowhere. If we will be a play off team with him, I believe they will, they will not go far, because they will be easy to play against. Block the rushes, that’s all. In top 9 Devs have only two players, may be three who can drive the net, only one, who can play on the slot, only a couple who can create space for partners. Devils were bad in pp not only because of Recchi, devils were bad in positioning and were 22th in goals from the cycling/from the draw. You need different role players to have better draw. Gaudreau will help with it, he will add a lot for rushes, but this adding wouldn’t  be drastically change the way how this team can find success. It’s a only a couple of ways to defend us. I need versatility. For me “his name is big, I want it” is not enough. I prefer different ways to build the team. Thanks God we have an actual couple of good examples.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

All I know is Fitz better have a good backup plan, because Gaudreau probably isn’t happening. And whatever that plan is, it better net us a fvcking IMPACT player, not some schmuck whose team is dumping him so they can sign someone more important. 

35 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

….what?

I certainly understand those who are sick of the losing and expect Fitz to do something to address the wings this summer but I don't think it's critical that we go balls out this offseason without regard to what that will look like in 5 years.  If we use Colorado as a comparison, they didn't really get the train rolling until the '19-'20 season which was Landeskog's 9th and MacKinnon's 7th.  That's four years from now for Hischier and Hughes and 6 seasons from now until they would win their first cup if we use the Colorado timeline.   It's also right around the time we all hope Luke will be looking for a big ass pay increase.  

I'm seeing that Gaudreau has already turned down 10 x 8 so unless he's just really want's out of Calgary, I don't think it makes a ton of sense to go up to the numbers it will probably take to sign him.   I mean, we're looking at 11.5ish over 7 years now, aren't we?        

52 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You know he’s taking less to play at “home”, and then people will be like “we should have given him that” even though he wouldn’t have accepted “that” from us. 

At this rate its going to have to be a lot less. 

As much as I don't want the flyers to get Gaudreau , I think if they pull it off they are screwing themselves over in the long term because getting it done is going to cost so much. 

1 minute ago, Muevelos said:

Flyers have no identity or direction, could care less of they overpay for JG, let them.

If they get him I think it will be a rather friendly deal, like most here were saying. At the same time, I am not sure JG is what they need. What they need is likely a real rebuild. I don't think JG moves the needle much further for them then maybe a bubble team.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They don’t scare anyone with or without him. That team is a mess.

JG to the Flyers is nothing more than a “feel good” signing for their fanbase…that team needs serious help.  He’ll give the Flyer faithful a reason to check out the individual scoring leaderboards, but not sure he’ll help that much in the standings, given the state of that team.

As far as his options go, it would make far more sense for him to sign with the Devils…two fine young centers, young talent in the pipeline.  I’m not even really in “Gotta get Gaudreau!” mode, but if I’m him I see the Devils and think “Ok, there’s some pieces there, they could be good before much longer.”  What the hell do the Flyers have?

And if I’m a team like Buffalo and I know what the Flyers are up to…yeah, you want me to take on JVR, then you’re making it VERY worth my while. Otherwise, fvck off.

• Like 1

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

If Gaudreau is interested in taking a discount to play for a team that probably won't win a cup why doesn't he just come here for more money?

Because he grew up in South Jersey as a Flyers fan. I mean it’s happened how many times? 

3 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

He can always buy a Flyers jersey on ebay

Probably a couple with his salary. But we have seen how many guys do the “home team” thing? You asked why he wouldn’t come here for more money, if he doesn’t that’s probably why. 

35 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If they get him I think it will be a rather friendly deal, like most here were saying. At the same time, I am not sure JG is what they need. What they need is likely a real rebuild. I don't think JG moves the needle much further for them then maybe a bubble team.

You're rebuilding you don't sign JG to a massive deal. They're prospect pool sucks to, gun watching Fletcher do whatever he wants cause clearly the Ownership group doesn't care

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Because he grew up in South Jersey as a Flyers fan. I mean it’s happened how many times? 

He's also friends with newly acquired DeAngelo

3 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

You're rebuilding you don't sign JG to a massive deal. They're prospect pool sucks to, gun watching Fletcher do whatever he wants cause clearly the Ownership group doesn't care

Eww.. they are doing the Parise-Suter thing

2 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

Yeah you add him to an existing young base (or an established one that need that one last piece).  You don’t sign a 29-year-old to mega bucks and then try to build around him.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah you add him to an existing young base (or an established one that need that one last piece).  You don’t sign a 29-year-old to mega bucks and then try to build around him.

I heard some folks say Tkachuk( however it's spelt) might want out if and when JG leaves. I'd give him that deal easily as he's much younger and better. That's a true pipe dream though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muevelos said:

The Devils have a strong prospect pool.  Where do you get that the idea that it sucks? They have potential future stars and depth players.  They even bought out Kouk to make roster space.  They if there is an area of weakness, it is at the goalie position, but that isn’t even from a lack of trying.  The flyers are further away from competing.

15 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

The Devils have a strong prospect pool.  Where do you get that the idea that it sucks? They have potential future stars and depth players.  They even bought out Kouk to make roster space.  They if there is an area of weakness, it is at the goalie position, but that isn’t even from a lack of trying.  The flyers are further away from competing.

I believe he was talking about the Flyers…