2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mean, I guess.  I feel like that's pretty low expectations.  I wish my boss would let me miss deadlines lol.   I just feel like it's been in the process of being built for a long time, and it's not like they didn't know when the season starts lol.  

Ever have renovations done on your house? That sh!t runs a week or two longer than expected all the time, and it’s not a $400m arena. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Ever have renovations done on your house? That sh!t runs a week or two longer than expected all the time, and it’s not a $400m arena. 

I get it, but that's not really a fair comparison for the reason I mentioned... #1 renovations usually come with an "estimated" timeframe to complete the job, whereas the season begins on a specific date, known WELL in advance.  And #2, the $400M arena comes with a MASSIVE budget and hundreds of highly paid and trained contractors, compared to a couple local guys doing your home. 

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not uncommon. It does feel like someone didn’t budget their time right, I mean it has to be near completely finished and they just missed the date by 2-3 weeks. 

I guess in the scheme of things, such a huge endeavor being only a few weeks behind is pretty impressive. 

Construction was also shut down for ahwile because non essential construction was shut down for awhile so them missing the date by just a few weeks really isn't bad at all. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It was 07 and they played the first 9 on the road. Their new rink looks pretty nice, I doubt I bother to check out a game there but I'll check out other events there. 

Yep, Devils went 3-5–1 in those games.  I was hoping for 4-4-1, so I wasn’t all that disappointed.

The “newness” of the arena was obviously exciting, but the concourses were definitely a little barren at the time.  And the Fire and Ice Lounges looked a lot cooler in artist renderings than they did in real life (you could tell some money was saved on materials).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Construction was also shut down for ahwile because non essential construction was shut down for awhile so them missing the date by just a few weeks really isn't bad at all. 

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I too am an architect and I literally spend my entire day the last few month fielding calls about insane material price increases and shipping delays.   It's a crazy time to be building anything.   

Good points.  I kinda of forgot that huge fact lol. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yep, Devils went 3-5–1 in those games.  I was hoping for 4-4-1, so I wasn’t all that disappointed.

The “newness” of the arena was obviously exciting, but the concourses were definitely a little barren at the time.  And the Fire and Ice Lounges looked a lot cooler in artist renderings than they did in real life (you could tell some money was saved on materials).

Those original renderings of the fire and ice lounges were so cool, especially at that time, I think they were even talking about putting in an actual ice bar lol

know they wore out their welcome and the updates were needed but the current clubs just seem so boring and nothing at all special about them. 

I'm curious about the Islanders standing section they are putting in for their supporters section, it's something I would have loved and could have worked at Prudential eventually if the Devils didn't fumble the ball with the supporters section. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And the Fire and Ice Lounges looked a lot cooler in artist renderings than they did in real life (you could tell some money was saved on materials).

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Those original renderings of the fire and ice lounges were so cool, especially at that time, I think they were even talking about putting in an actual ice bar lol

know they wore out their welcome and the updates were needed but the current clubs just seem so boring and nothing at all special about them. 

I too remember being super excited about the Fire and Ice Lounges when i first saw the renderings and being pretty disappointed with the actual final product.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm curious about the Islanders standing section they are putting in for their supporters section, it's something I would have loved and could have worked at Prudential eventually if the Devils didn't fumble the ball with the supporters section. 

Agree, renderings had me very excited.  They did do the ice in the Ice Lounge for a bit (you could rest your drink in an ice tray that ran the length of the bar), but not for long…and they did become dated rather quickly.  Everything in both bars just looked too cheap and plastic once the initial novelty wore off.

And I agree, the replacements are safe and neutral almost to a fault.  They have a very “cafeteria” feel to them.  Get the feeling they get another refresh in the next few years.

My nephew got tickets for the Devils-Islanders in the Isles new digs…curious to see it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I am an architect for 15-30m houses and I can tell you that WE have the highly paid and trained contractors, and they even blow the budget 99% of the time. 

we tell our owners that jobs take 1 extra month for every year the schedule is set. 2 year project? give it 26 months. etc etc.

Right, then multiply the size of the job by 15, and a couple weeks over on the construction of a huge project and that’s not really bad. Add in the shutdown, materials shortages, I don’t know if there were enough laborers available as people preferred to sit home collecting unemployment, etc. 

Couple of weeks? Not bad. 

• Like 1

Caps fans, quite audibly:  “RANGERS SUCK!”

Me:  Indeed they do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Rags getting curbstomped 🤣

They were just starting to come on, then took a penalty (Caps took one almost immediately thereafter), then Ovi scores his second of the game.  Glad they’re not going to lose 4-2 or 4-3 and have much to build on or feel good about.  

• Like 2