Jump to content

2021-2022 Around the League thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn’t mind the stadium having some design elements based on Ebbets Field, but the idiot Wilpons (yes that’s redundant) went entirely too far with the Dodgers crap for sure…apparently because Fred Wilpon is obsessed with the Dodgers, he assumed that the Met fanbase must be too.  He admitted that he screwed up, in that CitiField didn’t really feel like the Mets’ home park until several changes were made, but that’s how Freddy and Jeffy rolled…they never knew the right thing to do until they were told what the right thing was.  They were the fvcking WORST.  

The Glazer family says, “you should read our Idiots Guide to Ruin a 100+ year old Franchise”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

So we should retire the numbers of some Newark Bulldogs, then. 

 

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Should the Mets and Yankees retire a bunch of NY Giants’ numbers? 

Not really apples to apples.  

Say our version of the Devils had left for the new arena in Quebec somewhere around 2012 but then Harris and Blitzer were able to buy the Coyotes in 2016 and moved them to NJ and renamed them the New Jersey Devils.   Would you rather see this new version of the New Jersey Devils honor Shane Doan with a number retirement, or Brodeur and Elias?  It's still debatable but not really as simple as you're making it out to be.  Personally, after watching the latter two for so many years, I would rather see them honored in the rafters of the rock even it they technically played for another franchise that was now in Canada.       

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always been of the opinion that the franchise should stay in that city and just become defunct or dormant, regardless of where it is moved to.  For example, the Scouts and their history should stay in KC, the Rockies should stay in Colorado, and none of that history should be transferred to NJ when the team was moved here.  99% of fans here in NJ do not care (or even know) about the teams fielded when the club played in KC and Denver. 

In the case of teams like Winnipeg or the Cleveland Browns where the team returns years later, the history and records attaches to that new team.  Just my 2 cents   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

 

Not really apples to apples.  

Say our version of the Devils had left for the new arena in Quebec somewhere around 2012 but then Harris and Blitzer were able to buy the Coyotes in 2016 and moved them to NJ and renamed them the New Jersey Devils.   Would you rather see this new version of the New Jersey Devils honor Shane Doan with a number retirement, or Brodeur and Elias?  It's still debatable but not really as simple as you're making it out to be.  Personally, after watching the latter two for so many years, I would rather see them honored in the rafters of the rock even it they technically played for another franchise that was now in Canada.       

I still feel like the player should have played for your team before you retire their number. Those guys never played for that organization.  Not one game. 

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I still feel like the player should have played for your team Glendora you retire their number. Those guys never played for that organization.  Not one game. 

Which is a fair position but IMO, the players performed in Winnipeg for the Jets so I'm fine with it.  Even though it is technically a different team, the older portion of the fan base is presumably all the same people.  I'm 46 and remember Selanne's 76 goal rookie season in '93 pretty clearly.  I see no problem with the Winnipeg Jets and their fans, many of whom were in the old Winnipeg Arena for those games, honoring that.     

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I still feel like the player should have played for your team Glendora you retire their number. Those guys never played for that organization.  Not one game. 

Yeah it's definitely weird when the players retired aren't in the official franchise record books.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah it's definitely weird when the players retired aren't in the official franchise record books.

How in the fvck did my iPhone thing I meant to say “Glendora” in that sentence??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Which is a fair position but IMO, the players performed in Winnipeg for the Jets so I'm fine with it.  Even though it is technically a different team, the older portion of the fan base is presumably all the same people.  I'm 46 and remember Selanne's 76 goal rookie season in '93 pretty clearly.  I see no problem with the Winnipeg Jets and their fans, many of whom were in the old Winnipeg Arena for those games, honoring that.     

im feeling the same way. That's the city he played in and for those fans. Would be weird to have his numbers retired in a city he never really played for too when you think about it.

Mario Lemieux number is retired in Bathurst for the Titan in the Q and i always thought it was "cool" cause it's Mario Lemieux but it makes no sense too cause he literally never step foot in Bathurst im pretty sure lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tre doing everything he can to mitigate the situation in CGY and all things considered he may be doing a pretty damn good job if he doesn't have to sell the farm here... Then again if you don't sell the farm what does it get you anyway? Go for it now and Dela with the consequences later, I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Monahan is traded to MTL to make room for Kadri.

If that deal is 7 years and expensive. It's gonna be ugly by the end of Huberdeau and Kadri's contract.

7 years @ $7 million AAV for Kadri.

If the Flames win a Cup, or are at the very least making the playoffs every year (with some deep runs), they'll live with those contracts aging badly at the end.  They have a ton of UFAs coming up over the next few years...some great opportunities for them to try to build from within.  2024-2025 could see the Flames look like a much different team, depending on how many UFAs they retain.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s a pretty respected prospect for Tampa, aI wouldn’t mind him here. 

More than a prospect. He’s already played 155 games for them. Solid player. 

It’s just nice to see a guy talking about growing up a Devils fan, and not the Rags or Flyers. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

More than a prospect. He’s already played 155 games for them. Solid player. 

It’s just nice to see a guy talking about growing up a Devils fan, and not the Rags or Flyers. 

He scored the Cup winning goal last year too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Monahan is traded to MTL to make room for Kadri.

If that deal is 7 years and expensive. It's gonna be ugly by the end of Huberdeau and Kadri's contract.

Montreal is way over the cap.   Does this means Carey Price is done?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Montreal is way over the cap.   Does this means Carey Price is done?  

it's widely assumed he is going to be LTIR'ed and not retire because it would screw montreal's cap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

More than a prospect. He’s already played 155 games for them. Solid player. 

It’s just nice to see a guy talking about growing up a Devils fan, and not the Rags or Flyers. 

Yeah, didn’t realize he already had that many games played. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

 

Lightning fans love him. He's called Ross The Boss. He's another gem they found. Great organization. I didn't realize he's from the area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Montreal is way over the cap.   Does this means Carey Price is done?  

It doesn't sound good. Kent Hughes said he doesn't expect Price to return for '22-23. He needs another surgery. He's 35. He has a Hart/Vezina back in '14-15. Carried them to the SCF on a bad knee. If it's over, I don't know if Carey is a Hall of Famer. There's still 3-4 years left on his deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Montreal is way over the cap.   Does this means Carey Price is done?  

The Monahan trade took care of their cap issues, according to Capfriendly.

The Flames had to include a first-rounder to make it work...lots of different scenarios, as to when the Canadiens take possession of a Flames' first-rounder (the Flames also have the Panthers' 2025 first-rounder...depending on what happens, Montreal could wind up drafting from Calgary's slot, or Florida's in 2025):

 
Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: 1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD


Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD
 
Calgary Flames Acquire:
Logo of the Calgary Flames
Future Considerations
               
Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.