2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You love to see it. Especially since Lou had just locked up a lot of that Squad to long term deals. 

Lou was getting a lot of the credit for what the Isles have done, but outside of not screwing around and hiring Trotz as soon as he became available (who, much like Lemaire, brought a solid system with him), a good chunk of his personnel decisions as the Isles GM have been kinda meh.  And he did inherit a lot of Garth Snow’s players.

Feels like Lou’s reached a bit of a crossroads already with the Islanders…they’re capped out, a little old, and playing some awful hockey.  Curious to see what comes next.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lou was getting a lot of the credit for what the Isles have done, but outside of not screwing around and hiring Trotz as soon as he became available (who, much like Lemaire, brought a solid system with him), a good chunk of his personnel decisions as the Isles GM have been kinda meh.  And he did inherit a lot of Garth Snow’s players.

Feels like Lou’s reached a bit of a crossroads already with the Islanders…they’re capped out, a little old, and playing some awful hockey.  Curious to see what comes next.  

Did the same thing in Toronto, had a good foundation already with guys who pretty much matured when he took over, then boom, he's a hockey genius again. The dude has his blueprint and sticks to it. Problem is, the blueprints are from 2003 and, lets be honest, haven't really been renovated since.

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Did the same thing in Toronto, had a good foundation already with guys who pretty much matured when he took over, then boom, he's a hockey genius again. The dude has his blueprint and sticks to it. Problem is, the blueprints are from 2003 and, lets be honest, haven't really been renovated since.

In this case, I think he went for one too many oldsters (Parise, Chara, and Greene)…sure, they signed on for cheap, but the plan was clearly for them to all play.  Also wonder who he was bidding against with Palms.  Lou probably could’ve gotten him for a year or two.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In this case, I think he went for one too many oldsters (Parise, Chara, and Greene)…sure, they signed on for cheap, but the plan was clearly for them to all play.  Also wonder who he was bidding against with Palms.  Lou probably could’ve gotten him for a year or two.  

Lou is big on the “character players” but in today’s much faster and skill-driven NHL, those guys don’t make the same impact. 

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Lou is big on the “character players” but in today’s much faster and skill-driven NHL, those guys don’t make the same impact. 

I also think part of the problem was in the past (way in the past), Lou would hit on moves like these.  But it seems like in recent years, it’s been a lot of snake eyes.  One goal combined from Parise and Palms so far?  Yikes.  

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The same penalty as when PK slew footed a guy. That doesn’t seem right. And not just because everyone should be allowed to throw things at Marchand. 

• Like 1

Quote from Panarin in the NY Post:

“I lost 5K, but thanks to the old general manager for $11.6 [million], I’m good,” Panarin said with a smile.

Article also states that the incident was triggered by anti-Russian comments by Marchand, which I have zero problem believing. 

Edited by mfitz804

Further quote from Marchand:

“That one caught me off guard a little bit,” Marchand said after the game. “We were talking about what we had for Thanksgiving dinner. He didn’t like what I ate.”

I think it’s borderline embarrassing that a sports league would even get involved in disciplining a guy for tossing a glove at a guy. Didn’t even hit him in the nose, and that was hard to do. How the hell is that a $5k fine, and PK taking out a guy’s legs in a very dangerous manner is the same fine? 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Further confirming the snowflake status of the entire Rangers organization.

panarin said he made a racial slur towards russians. 

it’s marchand. why would you take his word over panarin’s?

Edited by MB3

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

panarin said he made a racial slur towards russians. 

it’s marchand. why would you take his word over panarin’s?

A racial slur?  Stop it.

He said something along the lines of "no one likes you there".  I'm sure it was spiced up a bit but come on, something about sticks and stones.

https://theathletic.com/2981051/2021/11/26/an-attempted-michigan-an-iffy-chirp-a-glove-throw-and-a-rangers-win/?source=emp_shared_article

I just think tattle tallying to the media is pretty lame and on brand for the same organization that put out an official letter and whined about the same dude starting a fight with someone bigger and getting dumbied.

Apparently Jake DeBrusk has asked for a trade. Do the Devil's have any interest? Guy who is a "shoot first" type of player which would work well in this team. 

No idea what Boston would want or what we would be willing to give up. 

Sharp drop-off in stats the last two seasons (“last 65 games are about half the points as the previous two sets of 65). 

Only 25, if he is healthy, I would give him a shot. But like you said, what’s the cost? I’ll give them Nolan Foote and 20,000 PK Subban “Jersey” jerseys from the concourse. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Apparently Jake DeBrusk has asked for a trade. Do the Devil's have any interest? Guy who is a "shoot first" type of player which would work well in this team. 

No idea what Boston would want or what we would be willing to give up. 

On NHL tonight they talked about the price being a 2 or a 3 most likely. I’d take a flier for that type of ask.

Edited by MadDog2020

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

On NHL tonight they talked about the price being a 2 or a 3 most likely. I’d take a flier for that type of ask.

If that's all they want then I am down with that. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sharp drop-off in stats the last two seasons (“last 65 games are about half the points as the previous two sets of 65). 

Only 25, if he is healthy, I would give him a shot. But like you said, what’s the cost? I’ll give them Nolan Foote and 20,000 PK Subban “Jersey” jerseys from the concourse. 

His ice time has dropped as well though so it could be relative. 

Yeah I would give up Foote for that. 

• Like 2