Jump to content

2021-2022 Around the League thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

 

This is the Around the League thread so it's quite literally on topic 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I meant to the few posts on COVID that proceed my post. But as you say you can't really be off topic. "Changing the subject" was what I should have gone for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

This I thought was really cool, hence the post.  Talk about a well oiled machine.  Unfortunately I can’t take credit for that line, was already mentioned in the YouTube comments.

Should've gone into a flying V after that. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Should've gone into a flying V after that. 

That was really cool to just look at.

If that was the Devils, two of them would've collided with each other, another one would have fallen down (without being so much as grazed), and someone else would just watched everyone else go up ice.  I have no idea what the fifth guy would've done.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was really cool to just look at.

If that was the Devils, two of them would've collided with each other, another one would have fallen down (without being so much as grazed), and someone else would just watched everyone else go up ice.  I have no idea what the fifth guy would've done.

I do. He would be on the wrong side so that an opponent was in the slot without coverage. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was really cool to just look at.

If that was the Devils, two of them would've collided with each other, another one would have fallen down (without being so much as grazed), and someone else would just watched everyone else go up ice.  I have no idea what the fifth guy would've done.

And somehow 3 of them are behind the net when the goal gets scored. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He resigned. He probably doesn’t wanna coach for whatever reason, let alone here. 

Hard to tell.  From the quotes I saw, it sounds like he thought he ran his course with Winnipeg (he was in his ninth season).  Maybe he feels like he needs as much of a fresh start as his team did.

But without knowing anything at all, I'm guessing he's not going to jump right into another job.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

UPDATE: 

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, Maurice revealed that the belief that the Jets are in need of a new voice is what led to his decision to resign. In a statement to Friedman, Maurice explained: 

"This is a good team, I'm a good coach...but sometimes you can only push so far. Sometimes a team needs a new voice. They haven't quit on me, but they need a different voice. It's the right time for it, and I know that."

Added Maurice, "I feel good. I don't have a game I have to coach tonight and I don't have to get a job tomorrow."

It appears as if this is an example of extremely rare self-awareness from an NHL coach of what their team needs. Maurice seems at peace with the decision. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/paul-maurice-resigns-as-coach-of-the-winnipeg-jets?fbclid=IwAR2XF7qxLqxt74R_E1l1SfSty4uyYNa5VMJIhN3iGjpSo8LjH6jFsYYTsvM

Edited by MadDog2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

 

UPDATE: 

According to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman, Maurice revealed that the belief that the Jets are in need of a new voice is what led to his decision to resign. In a statement to Friedman, Maurice explained: 

"This is a good team, I'm a good coach...but sometimes you can only push so far. Sometimes a team needs a new voice. They haven't quit on me, but they need a different voice. It's the right time for it, and I know that."

Added Maurice, "I feel good. I don't have a game I have to coach tonight and I don't have to get a job tomorrow."

It appears as if this is an example of extremely rare self-awareness from an NHL coach of what their team needs. Maurice seems at peace with the decision. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/paul-maurice-resigns-as-coach-of-the-winnipeg-jets?fbclid=IwAR2XF7qxLqxt74R_E1l1SfSty4uyYNa5VMJIhN3iGjpSo8LjH6jFsYYTsvM

Yea but we need him tomorrow...so like.....give him money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I would give him a blank check, but our owners don’t pay coaches. So it’ll never happen.

If Fitz presents a candidate that he really wants to hire (like Maurice), and ownership turns him down due to money, then I'll fully believe this.  Not there yet on that one.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Fitz presents a candidate that he really wants to hire (like Maurice), and ownership turns him down due to money, then I'll fully believe this.  Not there yet on that one.  

They apparently passed on Laviolette over money, so that’s what makes me say that. Maurice would command big paper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

They apparently passed on Laviolette over money, so that’s what makes me say that. Maurice would command big paper.

I could be 100% wrong, but I get the feeling Laviolette might have been a "If he's willing to come here at OUR price..." kind of guy.  Maybe the Devils would be more keen on someone else, and willing to spend for THEIR guy.

If anything, Ruff could be proving to be a "Hey, you get what you pay for" kind of eye-opener for ownership.  You can accumulate some nice young talent, but if your coaches are incapable of getting the most out of it (or hindering its development), won't matter much how many kids you've got.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could be 100% wrong, but I get the feeling Laviolette might have been a "If he's willing to come here at OUR price..." kind of guy.  Maybe the Devils would be more keen on someone else, and willing to spend for THEIR guy.

If anything, Ruff could be proving to be a "Hey, you get what you pay for" kind of eye-opener for ownership.  You can accumulate some nice young talent, but if your coaches are incapable of getting the most out of it (or hindering its development), won't matter much how many kids you've got.  

Paul Maurice would be my absolute first choice of any available coaches, no question. I just have no faith in this franchise to do the right thing anymore. If there’s anyway Fitz could make that happen, that would drastically change my opinion of him. But I am certainly not holding my breath. At all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Paul Maurice would be my absolute first choice of any available coaches, no question. I just have no faith in this franchise to do the right thing anymore. If there’s anyway Fitz could make that happen, that would drastically change my opinion of him. But I am certainly not holding my breath. At all. 

It's tricky...I'd love for Fitz to at least make the phone call, but I guess can't really do that until he cans Ruff & Co.  If Maurice wants to chill for the rest of the season, I certainly wouldn't mind Dineen coming up as an interim.  I just don't know how much longer the Devils can roll with all Three Stooges...with each loss it feels like another nail's going into the coffin, but goddamn, how many nails does it take?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's tricky...I'd love for Fitz to at least make the phone call, but I guess can't really do that until he cans Ruff & Co.  If Maurice wants to chill for the rest of the season, I certainly wouldn't mind Dineen coming up as an interim.  I just don't know how much longer the Devils can roll with all Three Stooges...with each loss it feels like another nail's going into the coffin, but goddamn, how many nails does it take?  

At this point I feel like its all or nothing. Replacing Ruff and leaving the other two in place makes little to no sense at all. 

Someone get me Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, and an experienced head coach. I'd like to give that a shot through the end of the year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.