Jump to content

2021-2022 Around the League thread


MadDog2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

At this point I feel like its all or nothing. Replacing Ruff and leaving the other two in place makes little to no sense at all. 

Someone get me Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, and an experienced head coach. I'd like to give that a shot through the end of the year.

Yeah I didn't mean the assistants get to stay if Dineen's the interim guy...should've clarified.  AFAIC, nASS and Recchi go no matter what.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

At this point I feel like its all or nothing. Replacing Ruff and leaving the other two in place makes little to no sense at all. 

Someone get me Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, and an experienced head coach. I'd like to give that a shot through the end of the year.

Wonder if they have any interest in coaching at this point in their lives.  At the least, they're definitely diving into the deep end of the pool.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wonder if they have any interest in coaching at this point in their lives.  At the least, they're definitely diving into the deep end of the pool.  

I doubt Travis would be interested at this point. He just retired, so I’m sure he has no interest in being on the road half the year and being away from his family. Patty is living his best life right now, so I doubt he’d wanna weigh himself down with the stress and the travel coaching entails either.

Edited by MadDog2020
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

They apparently passed on Laviolette over money, so that’s what makes me say that. Maurice would command big paper.

Not just money but control. Guys like Lavi and Gallant want more say over things like staff and roster construction and we want a collaboration.

Hell no to Maurice though, when a guy tells you he doesn’t want to coach listen to him (cough Brent Sutter cough)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah at this point just end any talk of the Olympics, and keep that period open for makeup games.  Gotta think many more postponements are coming.

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not just money but control. Guys like Lavi and Gallant want more say over things like staff and roster construction and we want a collaboration.

Hell no to Maurice though, when a guy tells you he doesn’t want to coach listen to him (cough Brent Sutter cough)

Re:  Maurice, does he not want to coach period, or did he no longer want to coach the Jets?  Until we have a definitive answer that he absolutely is done with coaching, I'm open to the idea of him coaching the Devils.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not just money but control. Guys like Lavi and Gallant want more say over things like staff and roster construction and we want a collaboration.

Hell no to Maurice though, when a guy tells you he doesn’t want to coach listen to him (cough Brent Sutter cough)

Doesn't seem to have worked out too bad for Gallant for his current team and previous team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I didn't mean the assistants get to stay if Dineen's the interim guy...should've clarified.  AFAIC, nASS and Recchi go no matter what.

Change the assistants and leave ruff as last resort. Both assistants have to be shown the door immediately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah at this point just end any talk of the Olympics, and keep that period open for makeup games.  Gotta think many more postponements are coming.

Re:  Maurice, does he not want to coach period, or did he no longer want to coach the Jets?  Until we have a definitive answer that he absolutely is done with coaching, I'm open to the idea of him coaching the Devils.  

I am not against the idea of Maurice, but he just seems like another coach like Ruff where the game seems to have passed him by (though not to Ruff's degree).

I would be welcome to Torts simply because I feel like this team has had too much of a country club atmosphere for too long.  Even if he gets sh!t-canned after a season or two I am down for it.  At best it leads to more wins under Torts.  At worst the management can use the threat of hiring another Torts-like coach if they let up again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Fansinz88 said:

Change the assistants and leave ruff as last resort. Both assistants have to be shown the door immediately. 

Should've already happened, but I'm just to the point where I wonder how much longer before it finally fvcking happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not against the idea of Maurice, but he just seems like another coach like Ruff where the game seems to have passed him by (though not to Ruff's degree).

I would be welcome to Torts simply because I feel like this team has had too much of a country club atmosphere for too long.  Even if he gets sh!t-canned after a season or two I am down for it.  At best it leads to more wins under Torts.  At worst the management can use the threat of hiring another Torts-like coach if they let up again.

Sadly I'll probably soon reach the point where I'll be saying "Oh, he's Not-Ruff?  Good enough for me, give 'im a shot!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can get about 3 seasons out of tortarella. After that not much more. But I bet things will be much better by then with a lot of improvement sooner than later. Easy street and acceptable garbage is long over played with this team. It’s time to make the decision to get better fast now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah at this point just end any talk of the Olympics, and keep that period open for makeup games.  Gotta think many more postponements are coming.

Re:  Maurice, does he not want to coach period, or did he no longer want to coach the Jets?  Until we have a definitive answer that he absolutely is done with coaching, I'm open to the idea of him coaching the Devils.  

It seems like he was a bit burned out in general at the very least.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

At this point I feel like its all or nothing. Replacing Ruff and leaving the other two in place makes little to no sense at all. 

Someone get me Travis Zajac, Patrik Elias, and an experienced head coach. I'd like to give that a shot through the end of the year.

I wouldn't do that to a new head coach for two reasons. They have zero experience other than being good soldiers in the sweater and more importantly I'm giving the head coach the ability to pick his own staff. I don't think saddling him right off the bat is the right call, plus I would bet some marbles it turns off some if not all of the experienced guys who might consider coming here. 

I hate the we're building a family theme (certainly not at you Mfitz) that's being sold by the org, f*ck friends. Bring in someone who's going to drive the bus and not be afraid to curb stomp some feelings along the way and gtfo of their way. If Travis and Patrik eventually want to get into coaching that's great now is certainly not the time, start in the A or jump on board once this ship has been righted for a few years running not taking on water for the umpteenth(sp) year in a row.  (Even then I'm not a proponent, same goes for Marty).  

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Rumors of the NHL players opting out of the Olympics

Some already stated they aren't going, regardless of their decision.  I don't see how they can go when they need to make up a bunch of games..

I get it's the olympics, but you're on lockdown when your there which really sucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.