2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, bobilly45 said:

The nhl and America in general needs to just learn to live with this.  This varient is a mere cold/flu to most, death rate from this is insanely low.   

The nhl is losing fans daily by shutting down their season over a cold.  

Covid killed about 8 times many more people than the flu in a year and was the third leading cause of death in 2020, but yeah we should just live with it because sports is more important

• Thanks 2

I'll tell you Brad it's not bullsh!t.

I think he's wrong for this reason.  The taxi squad is in place now to be used on an emergency basis  in a effort to try and limit any more NHL games from being postponed, any more than deemed necessary with the ever changing protocols in the US but more importantly CA. (I believe at this time there's already been ~ 50 games needing to be rescheduled).  It's not there so that the best players from many teams can willingly go off and risk playing in China and being subjected to a 3-5 week quarantine should they test positive while there and what that impact would have on their NHL teams which imo should be their priority when it comes to the risk vs. reward under the current pandemic circumstances.  As of now the NHL is tasked with trying to reschedule some of the postponed games during the originally scheduled olympic break as it is.

Does it suck for players who were looking forward to playing in the olympics, sure does. Just like the impact  the pandemic has had and is having on everybody else who isn't lucky enough to be making a fortune to play a game for a living. I think some of these guys need a dose of reality when it comes to what real "bullsh!t" is for the common folk compared to the bs he references in his post.

Just my two cents.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

I think that the entire concept of being paid millions of dollars to play a sport, and then being upset that you cannot put that contract on pause for a couple of weeks to go play somewhere else is a flawed concept to start with. Would your job let you take a couple weeks off to go do the same job for someone else? Mine wouldn’t. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that the entire concept of being paid millions of dollars to play a sport, and then being upset that you cannot put that contract on pause for a couple of weeks to go play somewhere else is a flawed concept to start with. Would your job let you take a couple weeks off to go do the same job for someone else? Mine wouldn’t. 

And this is where I would point out that being a professional athlete isn’t a regular job, so it doesn’t really matter what your job or my job allows us or doesn’t allow us to do. They have a specialized skill that literally 300 people in the entire world have, with Olympic participants being the best 50 or so of those 300. Mind you I’m simply playing devil’s advocate here, I think it would be lunacy for them to go. 

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And this is where I would point out that being a professional athlete isn’t a regular job, so it doesn’t really matter what your job or my job allows us or doesn’t allow us to do. They have a specialized skill that literally 300 people in the entire world have, with Olympic participants being the best 50 or so of those 300. Mind you I’m simply playing devil’s advocate here, I think it would be lunacy for them to go. 

Obviously, the Olympics have been played without pros many, many times. In fact, isn’t that really what the Olympics used to be?

In any event, I can understand them wanting to go, but the whining like little bitches when they can’t reads pretty self centered, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

The more I read it and think about it the more I think he's tone deaf here. There was an agreement in place allowing the NHL players to go shutting  the league down for x number of weeks. Then this little thing called the pandemic hit which has basically flipped our world here in the US and Canada as well as globally on its ear the last 18+ months while taking something like 800k lives here alone while also destroying countless lives and businesses.  My heart bleeds for these guys that their biggest BS moment in all this is missing the olympics which happens to be held in China of all places which would come along with 3-5 week quarantine if they test positive during the most contagious part of the pandemic yet.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

I hate him but all Marchand is saying is that players should be given the choice, and not being controlled like they are. Playing the olympics is a huge deal and a once in a lifetime opportunity to some people. You work your whole life for that and only a handful of people will be able to be in a position to achieve that. So to have that taken away by someone making money off your back. I get it.

Ask many hockey players if they would "risk" getting covid and "risk" having to quarantine for 5 weeks (which is kind of bullsh!t? why in hell should they quarantine for 5 weeks? What's the science behind this?) if it meant they could play in the Olympics. And i'm sure many would do it in a heartbeat. So again, it's just the fact that they are not given the choice.

Edited by SterioDesign

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I hate him but all Marchand is saying is that players should be given the choice, and not being controlled like they are. Playing the olympics is a huge deal and a once in a lifetime opportunity to some people. You work your whole life for that and only a handful of people will be able to be in a position to achieve that. So to have that taken away by someone making money off your back. I get it.

Ask many hockey players if they would "risk" getting covid and "risk" having to quarantine for 5 weeks (which is kind of bullsh!t? why in hell should they quarantine for 5 weeks? What's the science behind this?) if it meant they could play in the Olympics. And i'm sure many would do it in a heartbeat. So again, it's just the fact that they are not given the choice.

Poor guy being controlled by a team/league that has paid him over 58 million through this season over his  career and is paying him another 15 over this contract. 

Again if it wasn't for a pandemic he would be going. 

Didn't his peers at the NHLPA just agree via a joint statement with the league to back out? 

Next labor deal should each individual  player be given a choice on whatever issue they don't personally agree with? 

Yes Brad, Connor McDavid and who ever else thinks it sucks. It does, just nowhere near as much as a global pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Poor guy being controlled by a team/league that has paid him over 58 million through this season over his  career and is paying him another 15 over this contract. 

Again if it wasn't for a pandemic he would be going. 

Didn't his peers at the NHLPA just agree via a joint statement with the league to back out? 

Next labor deal should each individual  player be given a choice on whatever issue they don't personally agree with? 

Yes Brad, Connor McDavid and who ever else thinks it sucks. It does, just nowhere near as much as a global pandemic. 

Well some people simply don't like when their bosses feel like they own them and overstep their boundaries because they are paying their salaries. I'm just saying I get it. You may don't agree and that's fine too.

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well some people simply don't like when their bosses feel like they own them and overstep their boundaries because they are paying their salaries. I'm just saying I get it. You may don't agree and that's fine too.

I get that, but that’s not what this is. Some decisions that get made are business decisions. I don’t care how much the players want to go, taking the risk of a 5 week quarantine is not an acceptable risk when I am paying you millions and have an NHL season and playoffs to consider. 

Priority #1 is to your NHL team, and I have no problem with the league or the teams not permitting guys to take that risk. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I get that, but that’s not what this is. Some decisions that get made are business decisions. I don’t care how much the players want to go, taking the risk of a 5 week quarantine is not an acceptable risk when I am paying you millions and have an NHL season and playoffs to consider. 

Priority #1 is to your NHL team, and I have no problem with the league or the teams not permitting guys to take that risk. 

Yeah but again, where people see differently is what is the actual risk. In real life, based on everything we know about Omicron at the moment, if Marchand who's fully vaxed was catching covid. 99.9% chance that he'd be perfectly fine, if anything very mild symptoms. And right now in the US he'd have to isolate for 5 days.

This is more a pandemic of non-sense restrictions than anything at this point. And that's what's pissing most people off. So exactly why should he quarantine for 5 WEEKS ? What sort of politics or science is behind that sort of logic?

Edited by SterioDesign

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah but again, where people see differently is what is the actual risk. In real life, based on everything we know about Omicron at the moment, if Marchand who's fully vaxed was catching covid. 99.9% chance that he'd be perfectly fine, if anything very mild symptoms. And right now in the US he'd have to isolate for 5 days.

This is more a pandemic of non-sense restrictions than anything at this point. And that's what's pissing most people off. So exactly why should he quarantine for 5 WEEKS ? What sort of politics or science is behind that sort of logic?

Ask China/IOC or move on. That's their law/rule and that's how it is right now. 

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

You’re assuming he would catch Omicron if anything, which of course, isn’t how variants work. There’s other variants he could catch. And let me add, there are TONS of people getting COVID after being vaccinated. 

Whether it’s 99.9% that he would be “fine” is also irrelevant to he issues I addressed. But also because it’s not symptoms that trigger the quarantine, it’s the positive result. He could have zero symptoms and still have to quarantine. 

Also, he’d be in China, so the length of the quarantine in the US wouldn’t really be relevant. While I agree totally that 5 weeks is not a reasonable amount of time to require a person to quarantine, that also doesn’t matter because my opinion won’t change China’s mind lol. 

Edited by mfitz804

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re assuming he would catch Omicron if anything, which of course, isn’t how variants work. There’s other variants he could catch. And let me add, there are TONS of people getting COVID after being vaccinated. 

Whether it’s 99.9% that he would be “fine” is also irrelevant to he issues I addressed. But also because it’s not symptoms that trigger the quarantine, it’s the positive result. He could have zero symptoms and still have to quarantine. 

Also, he’d be in China, so the length of the quarantine in the US wouldn’t really be relevant. While I agree totally that 5 weeks is not a reasonable amount of time to require a person to quarantine, that also doesn’t matter because my opinion won’t change China’s mind lol. 

This will be my last post about this topic.  But I guess my point is that when you're looking at all the numbers in context at the moment (vaccination status overall, symptoms, hospitalisations, deaths, new treatments to help, we know more about the virus etc etc. These restrictions and rules are highly overkill at this point when it comes to shutting down sports. We know which age group and people are truly at risk. We can just protect those people. But we gotta let everyone else get back to their lives without shutting everything down when one person in a group get covid at this point. 

The only player im actually worried about is Max Domi because he's diabetic but he actually got covid and he was fine. My sister is diabetic and my parents are old, so eventhough we're all vaxed i didnt risk going to see them for Christmas. But people my age that numbers shows that the risk of anything bad happening from that is sooooo low, well thats different)

So anyway, scientifically i understand Marchand and other guys being frustrated when so much non-sense politics are involved and taking away something they truly care about. On the other hand im glad China is fvcked with the olympics cause they fvcking caused the whole thing so they can burn in hell

And lets be honest. The NHL was begging for a reason to prevent players to go. 

Edited by SterioDesign

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

This will be my last post about this topic.  But I guess my point is that when you're looking at all the numbers in context at the moment (vaccination status overall, symptoms, hospitalisations, deaths, new treatments to help, we know more about the virus etc etc. These restrictions and rules are highly overkill at this point when it comes to shutting down sports. We know which age group and people are truly at risk. We can just protect those people. But we gotta let everyone else get back to their lives without shutting everything down when one person in a group get covid at this point. 

The only player im actually worried about is Max Domi because he's diabetic but he actually got covid and he was fine. My sister is diabetic and my parents are old, so eventhough we're all vaxed i didnt risk going to see them for Christmas. But people my age that numbers shows that the risk of anything bad happening from that is sooooo low, well thats different)

So anyway, scientifically i understand Marchand and other guys being frustrated when so much non-sense politics are involved and taking away something they truly care about. On the other hand im glad China is fvcked with the olympics cause they fvcking caused the whole thing so they can burn in hell

And lets be honest. The NHL was begging for a reason to prevent players to go. 

Yes, I’m sure the guy who licks everything is big into the science behind Covid. 

The science is irrelevant at this point. China has rules in place that aren’t based on science. Known fact. Marchand still thinks he should be able to choose to go. He’s not even considering that he could miss 5 weeks of the season as a result, he just wants to decide for himself. It is a completely entitled point of view from a known douche. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes, I’m sure the guy who licks everything is big into the science behind Covid. 

The science is irrelevant at this point. China has rules in place that aren’t based on science. Known fact. Marchand still thinks he should be able to choose to go. He’s not even considering that he could miss 5 weeks of the season as a result, he just wants to decide for himself. It is a completely entitled point of view from a known douche. 

Well 100%. Both Marchand and China are giants turds. That's also science. haha

All im saying is that i get why he and other NHLers are upset with all these politics.

58 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well 100%. Both Marchand and China are giants turds. That's also science. haha

All im saying is that i get why he and other NHLers are upset with all these politics.

Everyone gets upset with politics, in my opinion. That’s why I try to avoid that topic as much as possible. 

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well of course. You and I are notorious for never saying anything that could upset other people :P Part of our charm

I don’t need to talk about politics to upset people, it just happens naturally. 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I like these. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah those are fine. They look like hockey jerseys, which is an improvement over the all-star jerseys they wore a couple of years ago.

North America vs the World vibes.

Not a complaint, just observing