2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

39 minutes ago, MB3 said:

just came here to post that.

*pokes nico with a stick* "do something"

He was trying and then got a boo boo foot. 

one of the rare instances of winning the lottery hurting the devils. they were apparently in love with both makar and heiskanen but couldn’t take them over the consensus nico/nolan. 

i bet philly feels worse lmao

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

one of the rare instances of winning the lottery hurting the devils. they were apparently in love with both makar and heiskanen but couldn’t take them over the consensus nico/nolan. 

i bet philly feels worse lmao

If that was the case, they should have traded down. 

• Like 1

This is why I give the devils sh!t.  I know that Nico and Nolan were the consensus 1 and 2 that season on every experts list.  However, if the devils were indeed interested in Makar (there is at least one article that indicated they were) then that’s a failure on the team.  Why pay an entire scouting department if you can just print out Pronmam or Bob Mac’s rankings?

Yeah it could have been worse with selecting Nolan, but it doesn’t exactly make me feel any better that we got the 4th best player out of the top 5 that year with the first overall pick.

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If that was the case, they should have traded down. 

Of course that's assuming someone would've been interested in trading up (and giving up assets to do it).  Could very well be that the teams drafting #3 and #4 figured that they were going to get a good enough player no matter who was there for them, so why give up additional assets to move up?  

If there's any second-guessing to be done, I'd say if the Devils really loved one of those two defensemen THAT much, they should've just taken one of them with that #1 pick.  But I do think that they did indeed felt strongly about Nico, and the Devils sure as hell desperately needed a center at the time...if taking Nico was partly a "play it safe" kind of move, I can understand it...it's easy to forget how starved for centers the Devils were when Nico was selected.  And he has definitely shown signs of being a terrific all-around player, but these friggin' bad-luck injuries seem to keep derailing him from taking bigger steps.  He put up 17 points in the 20 games leading up to this latest injury...I get the feeling if he can just stay healthy, we'll be pretty happy with his production.  

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This is why I give the devils sh!t.  I know that Nico and Nolan were the consensus 1 and 2 that season on every experts list.  However, if the devils were indeed interested in Makar (there is at least one article that indicated they were) then that’s a failure on the team.  Why pay an entire scouting department if you can just print out Pronmam or Bob Mac’s rankings?

Yeah it could have been worse with selecting Nolan, but it doesn’t exactly make me feel any better that we got the 4th best player out of the top 5 that year with the first overall pick.

This book hasn't been fully written yet.  Take a look as Petterson's numbers since the start of last year...not as impressive as they were during his first two seasons.  Right now sure, it most definitely looks like Makar could become the best player of his draft, but it's too early to say that Nico is the clear #4 out of the top 5.    

• Like 2

Wasn't the report at the time that nobody wanted to trade up? It takes two people to trade, and trading from 1-to-4 and just getting something stupid like a 3rd round pick in return is the kind of move that gets a lot of GMs/Scouts/Etc fired; especially if the player at 1 becomes a franchise guy for another team. 

It's silly to blame the Devils for that. Center was just as much an organizational position of need at the time as defense, maybe even moreso. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Wasn't the report at the time that nobody wanted to trade up? It takes two people to trade, and trading from 1-to-4 and just getting something stupid like a 3rd round pick in return is the kind of move that gets a lot of GMs/Scouts/Etc fired; especially if the player at 1 becomes a franchise guy for another team. 

It's silly to blame the Devils for that. Center was just as much an organizational position of need at the time as defense, maybe even moreso. 

I don't criticize them at all really. I'm one of the people who understands that #1 overall doesn't mean you get the best player in the draft, you get a chance to select the best projected player in the draft. Ask Edmonton about it lol. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't criticize them at all really. I'm one of the people who understands that #1 overall doesn't mean you get the best player in the draft, you get a chance to select the best projected player in the draft. Ask Edmonton about it lol. 

Scroll up dog. You're not the guy who I'm talking about. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Scroll up dog. You're not the guy who I'm talking about. 

I'm the one who mentioned trading down, and you replied that nobody wanted to trade up. You didn't quote anyone. 

In any event, I was adding my thoughts on the topic, which I can do whether or not you are talking about me, dog. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm the one who mentioned trading down, and you replied that nobody wanted to trade up. You didn't quote anyone. 

In any event, I was adding my thoughts on the topic, which I can do whether or not you are talking about me, dog. 

WHY ARE YOU IN SUCH A BAD MOOD TODAY I AM NOT TRYING TO FIGHT WITH YOU I LOVE YOU

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Im going to do that at my next open hockey game....and trip and fall and look like an ass lol

I once completely faked out a defenseman, which was not easy with my sh!tty skating but he was worse, then tried to top shelf a backhander and sent it right off the crossbar. I still think about that and it was 30 years ago. Epic missed opportunity from someone who didn't score a lot of goals lol. 

That was a crazy story. Years ago I represented a guy where they failed to diagnose his skin cancer and he wound up losing an eye. The attorney on the other side had a spot on his chest that he thought nothing of until the depositions in that case. Afterwards he made an appointment with a dermatologist and it wound up being a similar thing, easily removed by a malignant melanoma that would have killed him if he ignored it long enough. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That was a crazy story. Years ago I represented a guy where they failed to diagnose his skin cancer and he wound up losing an eye. The attorney on the other side had a spot on his chest that he thought nothing of until the depositions in that case. Afterwards he made an appointment with a dermatologist and it wound up being a similar thing, easily removed by a malignant melanoma that would have killed him if he ignored it long enough. 

Guy I worked with got a good cut on an arrest...........goes to get stitched up at the hospital and the nurse asks him if anyone's been treating his back...............he was like, "Huh?"

Big and deep it was, never treated

Dead not a year later from melanoma

Always get body scans

• Sad 1