2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Real sad. He seemed like he had some promise. If he does go back to the K I home he can get his mojo back.

Don't necessarily find it "sad"...the KHL is simply not as good of a league overall as the NHL is (see Reid Boucher putting up 32 G and 33 A last season in 72 GP total, in helping his KHL club win a championship).  Some of those KHLers (especially ones like Goose, who did play for a completely stacked team) will simply be exposed as not being good enough to compete long-term in the best hockey league in the world (much like AAAA players who can light it up in the AHL, but quickly remind everyone why they're not quite NHLers when they get their call-ups).  Kovy 2.0 went through something similar.

Goose did look like he was starting to figure things out somewhat that first season, but clearly hasn't shown enough since...if all of the "absolutely nothing to lose" NHL teams all take a pass on him, that pretty much says it all.  He probably should just go back to the KHL, unless he wants to try his hand in the AHL, with the hope that he gets another shot in the NHL.  Not sure he would want to do that at 29 though.

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't necessarily find it "sad"...the KHL is simply not as good of a league overall as the NHL is (see Reid Boucher putting up 32 G and 33 A last season in 72 GP total, in helping his KHL club win a championship).  Some of those KHLers (especially ones like Goose, who did play for a completely stacked team) will simply be exposed as not being good enough to compete long-term in the best hockey league in the world (much like AAAA players who can light it up in the AHL, but quickly remind everyone why they're not quite NHLers when they get their call-ups).  Kovy 2.0 went through something similar.

Goose did look like he was starting to figure things out somewhat that first season, but clearly hasn't shown enough since...if all of the "absolutely nothing to lose" NHL teams all take a pass on him, that pretty much says it all.  He probably should just go back to the KHL, unless he wants to try his hand in the AHL, with the hope that he gets another shot in the NHL.  Not sure he would want to do that at 29 though.

I get what you’re saying, but it’s not like the guy never had any success as an NHLer. He had 44 points in 66 games in his rookie year on a terrible team, and was one point off from the team lead. There were times that season where his being involved in the scoring felt automatic. 

Came back the next year and forgot how to hockey. How does that happen?

Thus, the comparison to Reid Boucher, who never knew how to hockey, at least at the NHL level, isn’t really telling the whole story. 

11 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Man get this guy outa the league already, Christ.

9 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Real sad. He seemed like he had some promise. If he does go back to the K I home he can get his mojo back.

I think he's one of those "tons of skill, zero grit" kind of guys.

Not sure the work ethic is there for the NHL.  He'll probs go back to the KHL and light it up.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I get what you’re saying, but it’s not like the guy never had any success as an NHLer. He had 44 points in 66 games in his rookie year on a terrible team, and was one point off from the team lead. There were times that season where his being involved in the scoring felt automatic. 

Came back the next year and forgot how to hockey. How does that happen?

Thus, the comparison to Reid Boucher, who never knew how to hockey, at least at the NHL level, isn’t really telling the whole story. 

Wasn't a direct comparison to Reid I was going for, as much as pointing out that the K is a simply an easier league to play in.  There's other players I could've have mentioned, but Boucher was a very recent example. 

That's why I also mentioned "long-term" success...sure, guys like Damien Brunner and others can come in and make a splash and produce some either right away or at some point during their first season (especially when there's no book on them yet), but once the word gets around the league, they're not capable of adjusting to adjustments made against them, or just weren't as good as they appeared to be over a limited early sample.  Guys can surprise/overachieve over small samples, as we've seen...sometimes to the point where you plan around such players being able to either replicate or even build off over such production.  It's one thing to be patient with the Nicos and the Jacks...that I get entirely.  With a guy like Goose who was kind of a gamble to begin with, and young but not THAT young, I can understand Fitz deciding "Maybe we've already his absolute best."   

Some kudos to Fitz on this one, in that it would've been easy for him to say "Goose just had a bad season, but we liked what we saw in 2019-20...we'll re-sign him to another year or two, and see if he can recapture that form."  Different sport, but the Mets have tried pumping dry wells many times, with some guys seeming to get endless chances.

All of the above being said, given the price to acquire Goose and the Devils' cap situation at the time, I fully understand rolling the dice with him.  I have zero issues with the trade to bring him here.  But I'm glad Fitz decided that he wasn't part of the long-term solution, especially now with some legit kids coming up...looking like he's being proven correct.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

All of the above being said, given the price to acquire Goose and the Devils' cap situation at the time, I fully understand rolling the dice with him.  I have zero issues with the trade to bring him here.  But I'm glad Fitz decided that he wasn't part of the long-term solution, especially now with some legit kids coming up...looking like he's being proven correct.       

For sure. Remember, we all felt like we had “won” when we were the team that got to trade for his rights. Not all moves work out, sometimes you have to take a chance. 

Everything Vegas touched that first season seemed to work out perfectly for them, including that trade.  I don't blame the Devils for making the deal, and was hoping Gusev would turn into a Panarin for us, but it never seemed like he had the drive to do what it takes to be a top NHL player and, while his talent alone was enough to make him successful in the KHL, it was not close to enough in the NHL.  

More and more I hear people tell me the talent/quality of the KHL is possibly slightly below that of even the AHL; that it fits somewhere that is a little better than ECHL but a little lower than AHL.  That's a pretty low bar for a guy like Gusev who seems to have the talent.

The issue with Gusev is that his skating was just terrible.  You can get away with that in some of the larger ice surfaces as there is more room but when you have to be fleeter of foot to maneuver NHL-sized surfaces then it gets dicey.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

More and more I hear people tell me the talent/quality of the KHL is possibly slightly below that of even the AHL; that it fits somewhere that is a little better than ECHL but a little lower than AHL.  That's a pretty low bar for a guy like Gusev who seems to have the talent.

The issue with Gusev is that his skating was just terrible.  You can get away with that in some of the larger ice surfaces as there is more room but when you have to be fleeter of foot to maneuver NHL-sized surfaces then it gets dicey.

Yep. He would have never been able to play in Ruff’s system. It’s a big part of why Butcher could never get into the lineup either. 

• Like 1

his pro career started in 2007 and ended in 18-19.  He played 77 of his 154 NHL games in one season with Vancouver. He was a oversized punching bag who hung around for a long time in pro hockey bouncing around from org to org. (Jackets/Flyers/Nucks/Pens/Leafs)

He credits the Pens with cleaning up his problem with Toradol and Ambien.

Sestito Credits Pens

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

So what?

So nothing. I'm just pointing out that he's a sensitive man. Just like i could have said he's a very stylish man after seeing him wear a Dumb & Dumber like Tuxedo.

It's quite uncommon in the league hence worth mentioning. Most GM are very "business" and emotionally detached / cold. And you kind of have to cause it has te be terribly hard to call a guy to tell him that he's traded or bought out etc etc knowing him personally or knowing that his wife is pregnant at that time or sh!t like that. So being very sensitive must make that job so much harder.

Edited by SterioDesign