GDT: 9/29/2021 Devils at Caps: The First Preseason Game of the Magical 2021-2022 Season

Devil Dan 56

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I'm all for building momentum and good morale I suppose, but your last part is essentially my point...you don't get points for pre-season wins lol.  Not complaining in the least, I'm juts kind of curious why the young guys didn't get a look.  If it was me, I'm saying to them "hey guys, here's a great opportunity with no pressure to get used to the shootout at the NHL level - go get 'em and have some fun"

Im pretty sure the average age of the guys we put in the SO was like 20. Who else would you have wanted to see? 

I get what you are saying I just think it is nit-picking. It doesn't matter if it is pre-season you want to win and it isn't like they picked Severson, they picked guys that could use the practice. 

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I'm all for building momentum and good morale I suppose, but your last part is essentially my point...you don't get points for pre-season wins lol.  Not complaining in the least, I'm juts kind of curious why the young guys didn't get a look.  If it was me, I'm saying to them "hey guys, here's a great opportunity with no pressure to get used to the shootout at the NHL level - go get 'em and have some fun"

I get what you're trying to say but at the same time it's important to know that coaches are picking guys in shootouts based on how they do in practice. And i mean... Holtz is kind of pretty new and he went haha

• Like 1

Re:  Palms, not like Fitz didn’t want him back…they did talk.  I just don’t think that Fitz wanted him for more than a year, maybe two at absolute most…and when Palms’ camp clearly wanted something longer term, that was that…both parties moved on and never looked back.  You can probably argue that money that had been budgeted for Palms was first offered to Saad, then Tatar (though I’m guessing Saad was offered more, in terms of money and term).  

BUT, if you think about it, not signing Palms long-term and having kids to fill spots is EXACTLY the ideal model to follow...there will always be exceptions to the rule and some guys you keep, but in a perfect world, you're turning over 30+ year-old players who are about to be overpaid (or are being paid for what they were as opposed to what they are or will be), and replacing them with young, affordable talent from within, who will be giving you their most cost-effective years.  The Palms of the past five seasons was worth his cost.  Not so sure the Islanders will be able to say the same.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Im pretty sure the average age of the guys we put in the SO was like 20. Who else would you have wanted to see? 

I get what you are saying I just think it is nit-picking. It doesn't matter if it is pre-season you want to win and it isn't like they picked Severson, they picked guys that could use the practice. 

We went with Nico, Sharangovich, and someone else who was a regular last year (can't remember who it was) - guys who have already had real world experience in the shootout.  Why not go with, I dunno, Foote?  Zetterlund?  Clarke?  Mercer? (I realize Holtz eventually got a crack, which is great, but he didn't get out there til like the 5th or 6th guy, only because the shootout went kinda long)

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

We went with Nico, Sharangovich, and someone else who was a regular last year (can't remember who it was) - guys who have already had real world experience in the shootout.  Why not go with, I dunno, Foote?  Zetterlund?  Clarke?  Mercer? (I realize Holtz eventually got a crack, which is great, but he didn't get out there til like the 5th or 6th guy, only because the shootout went kinda long)

Preseason is also an opportunity for the guys who are going to the lion's share of chances to practice against real opposing goalies. I get what you're saying but the reason the teams agreed to the shootout after all preseason games is likely to get more realistic practice.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Of course, if Ruff had gone that route, then I'm sure some fans would say "Why waste chances on guys who may not even make the team?  We need the guys who are actually going to be taking the shots getting the attempts!"

The very first preseason game...I can't make that big of a deal out of who was given tacked-on SO opportunities.  Not knocking you specifically, I'm sure others feel the same, but this does really feel like nitpicking.  

• Like 1

Mercer, Hughes, Dawson and Sharangovich looked good last night.  They all created chances and looked like they belonged.  Really like Holtz's shot and I like Dawson's all-around game.

Nico had a rough start but got better as the game went on.  He was noticeably better in the third period than the previous 2.

I wasn't impressed by either Vesey or Jankowski.

I really don't see it happening with Foote.  With all the good he does his skating is so poor that it brings down whatever positives he brings.

Our entire D-corps stunk last night.  Ditto for our special teams.  Nass and Recchi should be gone from behind the bench sooner rather than later.  I am ready to write off Walsh at this point and I just don't think Bahl will get any better.

I thought Bernier did alright.  Can't blame him for the 4 goals with the exception of maybe the last one.  Daws looked great in the shootout and it was nice to see us win one, even if it didn't count.

Johnsson is a bit of an enigma with me.  On one hand I am almost ready to launch him into the sun, but on the other hand I would like to see him with better linemates than a guy on PTO and another guy who is a 5-time "rookie" camp attendee.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Johnsson is a bit of an enigma with me.  On one hand I am almost ready to launch him into the sun, but on the other hand I would like to see him with better linemates than a guy on PTO and another guy who is a 5-time "rookie" camp attendee.

Did I hear correctly that he is now Johnsson with a J instead of “Yonsson”?

1 hour ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Gonna be that downer, but I hope no kid makes the team. 

Most of our roster are kids, from my perspective. 

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Mercer is an overage junior. What could he possibly gain by more time in the minors?

Correct, he will be 20 in less than a month. 

I guess it was just fun to watch these guys, they both played very well, showed excellent scoring ability, etc.

I know it makes sense to have them develop more in the AHL. Can we do that "look at them for 9 games" thing like in previous years?