Prospects Thread- 2021-21

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Some updates:

Case McCarthy played for BU as the beat Northeastern 1-0 in the Beanpot final. He had no points in the game but played on the first line that managed a shutout. 

Patrick Moynihan had an assist as Providence fell 3-2 to Umass Lowel. Vid below:

We have already talked about Luke being Luke. 

Here is his empty Netter:

He is a bit fortunate as he gets beaten on the wall and then is out of position, but his skating ability means he can recover. And the fact he never stops moving his feet means he is there as the puck comes out to relieve pressure.

The record breaker:

Ethan Edwards was also involved with the game on the first pairing he finished the night with zero points and a -1 rating. 

• Like 7

Chase Stillman continues to put up points for Peterborough. The team in general are awful but he is doing his best. 

He scores the Pete's lone goal in a 7-1 loss against his old team the Sudbury Wolves.

He also got a secondary assist on the Pete's 3rd goal in a 4-3 overtime loss to North Bay. He is on a 7 game point streak. 

• Like 4

Artem Shlaine got his 5th goal of the season against BU on the 11th. Simple finish , a lot of the hard work done by Tverberg.

He was held pointless for the entire month of January. But February had been a much better month with 6 points in 5 games. 

He is now up to 28 games 5g , 10a, 15p. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Luke Hughes has 16 goals and 16 assists for 32 points through 32 games played as a freshman.

For context, Cole Caufield as a freshman put up 17 goals and 19 assists for 36 points in 36 games played. 

Cole Caufield was the team’s shot-first right wing. 

Luke Hughes is a defenseman.

Luke Hughes is special.

Luke Hughes might soon be the organization’s best hockey player. 

I feel like he stays there one more year, hopefully puts on a few more pounds, and then comes into the 2023-24 season ready to kill. 

• Like 4

It's a balance, because he needs to be pushed as well. There needs to be the level of competition to actually push his development. His confidence is through the roof right now and he is just picking teams apart. 

And Michigan is going to be stacked again with players like Fantili , McGroarty and Nazar committed for 2022-23. 

On the flip side the Devil's are absolutely horrendous when it comes to developing talent on defense. So keeping him away with competent coaching for as long as possible could be a good thing. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MB3 said:

I think another year would be good for him. He missed the cutoff from being a 2022 draft prospect by SIX days; he’s nearly a year younger than every other first rounder. 

Heard on a podcast that if Luke Hughes was born 6 days later, he would clearly and easily be going first overall in this draft. Like a “we don’t even have to talk about it, he’s the first overall pick” kind of way — especially with the season he’s having. 

People want to talk about being on the same team as Power and Beniers, but he’s on a different line than Power and a different powerplay unit than both of them. He’s a sensational hockey player.

I didn't realize how young he really is...only one of his teammates was born in 2003...and that player is about 6 months older than Luke.  Come 3/4, Hughes will be the only 18-year-old left on the team...and he doesn't turn 19 until 9/9.

Yeah, as much as I can't wait to see this kid (and like CD#9 I also wonder if he's already well on his way to outgrowing college hockey), guess it's not going to hurt to let him get more development time in 2022-23.  Like mfitz said, come 2023-24, he'll be 20, hopefully a little stronger, and ready to storm into the NHL.  

And hopefully nASS is a distant memory by the time that this happens.  

Smooth play by Gritsyuk. 

He features in Pronmans top prospects from the games. He said he sees an NHL player. His skating has improved since he was drafted. The weakness in his game have been addressed. 

All good signs. 

• Like 2

Updates :

Luke Hughes:

Michigan lost in regulation for the first time since the 11th December, falling 4-1 to Notre Dame. A bad night all round for the whole team who according to reports looked off the whole game. They play the revers of that fixture tonight so a chance of instant redemption. 

Patrick Moynihan:

It seems Moynihan was injured on an Elbow to the head in the first period of PC's 4-2 win over Maine. They also play the reverse of this fixture tonight. So we will see if he is good to go. 

• Like 1

Chase Stillman:

Stillman was named the 1st star in Monday's win over the Barrie Colts in his 100th OHL game. He had a goal and an assist in a 4-3 win. 

Assist:

Goal:

Winning a battle along the boards and then a nice shot. 

Last night the Pete's beat the Oshawa Generals 3-1. Stillman with and assist on the empty net.

• Like 2

Michigan ended their regular season last night. Here's Hughes statline for the season.

Luke Hughes, D, Fr 34 16 16 32 0.94 Pt./G 82 SOG 19.5 Sh% 10 PIM GWG 0 PPG 3 SHG 0 +22

I mean, what a great season for Luke. Over 0.75-0.80 PPG for a freshman d-man is great. 0.94 PPG with barely any PP time, with mostly primary points. He honestly exceeded my expectations. The future is bright for him. We've got a good one, folks. 

Edit: Also, most points in the whole NCAA by a d-man. As a freshman. Impressive.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Michigan ended their regular season last night. Here's Hughes statline for the season.

Luke Hughes, D, Fr 34 16 16 32 0.94 Pt./G 82 SOG 19.5 Sh% 10 PIM GWG 0 PPG 3 SHG 0 +22

I mean, what a great season for Luke. Over 0.75-0.80 PPG for a freshman d-man is great. 0.94 PPG with barely any PP time, with mostly primary points. He honestly exceeded my expectations. The future is bright for him. We've got a good one, folks. 

Edit: Also, most points in the whole NCAA by a d-man. As a freshman. Impressive.

That's interesting, that's probably why he wasn't on the PP with the US world junior team.