Prospects Thread- 2021-21

Chimaira_Devil_#9

17 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

And that wasn't even the best goal scored in that game by a Devils prospect. Ethan Edwards continues to put on a strong show. This was his solo effort from last night. 

That's the sort of thing we have come to expect from 43 instead of 73. 

Michigan ran out 6-2 winners. Goal apiece for the Devil's prospects. 

• Like 4

Chase Stillman's move from struggling Sudbury to slightly less struggling Peterborough has done the trick and reinvigorated his season. He has 7 points in his last 6 games. 

Sudbury were a lot better than the Pete's in terms of coverage on social media. Kind of lost track of his season for a bit there. 

Patrick Moynihan scored for PC in a 5-2 loss to BU. Here is his goal 

Case McCarthy, who had an excellent November and December for BU has not played since the 7th of January. Can't find anything about an injury or him being scratched. Will do some digging. 

• Like 5

So Holtz is still a prospect at this point..

7GP this year.  When does the ELC year get burned?  Has it already?

Would love to see him get some significant time with the big team during garbage time here (read: not glued to the 4th line with plugs, Ruff) but maybe it makes sense to just let him continue to tear up the AHL and keep the extra year on the ELC.

18 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Would love to see him get some significant time with the big team during garbage time here (read: not glued to the 4th line with plugs, Ruff) but maybe it makes sense to just let him continue to tear up the AHL and keep the extra year on the ELC.

Let him play, we can slide him. Older team is cursed. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:56 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

He didn't seem ready at all in his prior NHL appearances.  I say just keep him in Utica...he just turned 20 a couple of weeks ago.

Even though I'm not keen on him (as being able provide offense, anyway), I say bring up a guy like Zetterlund for garbage time games...22 years old, having a nice year for the Comets...might as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He didn't seem ready at all in his prior NHL appearances.  I say just keep him in Utica...he just turned 20 a couple of weeks ago.

Even though I'm not keen on him (as being able provide offense, anyway), I say bring up a guy like Zetterlund for garbage time games...22 years old, having a nice year for the Comets...might as well.

If we are sellers at the deadline (and I can't see how we won't be at this point) and we are getting picks back in return I think there is going to be space for some Utica guys to get time. 

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

If we are sellers at the deadline (and I can't see how we won't be at this point) and we are getting picks back in return I think there is going to be space for some Utica guys to get time. 

For sure, and I think the team might become a little more interesting once some of those guys get a look.  You always have to be wary of guys showing promise during pure garbage time (see Sharangovich), but a guy like Zetterlund who's made strides as an AHLer...does he have anything to offer at the NHL level?  Will it hurt to give him 20-25 straight games at this level to find out?     

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For sure, and I think the team might become a little more interesting once some of those guys get a look.  You always have to be wary of guys showing promise during pure garbage time (see Sharangovich), but a guy like Zetterlund who's made strides as an AHLer...does he have anything to offer at the NHL level?  Will it hurt to give him 20-25 straight games at this level to find out?     

He could fail to score and we can lose every game by multiple goals because we are icing an AHL quality team. 

So no, it can't hurt. 

• Like 1

That’s me saying if you bring him up…PLAY HIM.  No two games, healthy scratch, a few more, a couple scratches, etc.  And for exactly the reason you just stated…nothing to lose.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That’s me saying if you bring him up…PLAY HIM.  No two games, healthy scratch, a few more, a couple scratches, etc.  And for exactly the reason you just stated…nothing to lose.

I'm torn between memes. 

47230111571_5cd80003b8_b.jpg

48900595153_a7baa323ca_b.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Double digits for Moynihan this season.

I’m very happy when see Moynihan succed. If devils wants to be a winning dominating team, they should weaponize top-6. And the best wingers we have are Holtz and Mercer. And someone should be a third line center. McLeod is a good option for the fourth line, his offensive IQ… isn’t there. And we don’t have a lot of options. Boqvist starts to produce, but he is very inconsistent and his abuility to play defense and to play against opponent transition is very questionable. Pytlik doesn’t succeed… and I don’t think we have any other real option, only Moynihan. 

This year I watch games in USHL, OHL and WHL, but don’t have NCAA. Would be very great if someone did watch Moynihan games and tell about the whole picture.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

I’m very happy when see Moynihan succed. If devils wants to be a winning dominating team, they should weaponize top-6. And the best wingers we have are Holtz and Mercer. And someone should be a third line center. McLeod is a good option for the fourth line, his offensive IQ… isn’t there. And we don’t have a lot of options. Boqvist starts to produce, but he is very inconsistent and his abuility to play defense and to play against opponent transition is very questionable. Pytlik doesn’t succeed… and I don’t think we have any other real option, only Moynihan. 

This year I watch games in USHL, OHL and WHL, but don’t have NCAA. Would be very great if someone did watch Moynihan games and tell about the whole picture.

What are your thoughts on Stillman and how his season has gone? 

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

What are your thoughts on Stillman and how his season has gone? 

I did watch only one game for now. And I think his was very raw there. He was injured as I remembered and play on the very bad team.

I`m not exited.  I wasn`t in the draft day, I didn`t like the way we picked him, I think it`s a bad management decision to not trade back(and there were teams who was agree to trade up). And when I did watch his game and read about his game - he have a lot to fix. I want to root for him, I like a concept of him as a player, but I wouldn't expect much. He play with grit, but his decision making leads to  mistakes often and his avarage skating doesn`t help. 

Anyway he own my sympathy.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 2

Stillman's production this year is far below what you would expect from a first round player in his D+1 season. Honestly, I wouldn't even be too thrilled with that level of production in a first rounder's draft year. But that's if you look just at the numbers alone. As Guadana said, injuries have played a major role this season for Stillman. But the highlights I've caught have actually been pretty impressive. The guy has got a good attitude and he plays really hard. He's got a pretty good shot  and solid playmaking skills too. I'm willing to give him some more time in a better situation before I make any major judgments on him. It wouldn't be surprising at all if he turns out to be a late bloomer.

This is from the other night (you get a better look about halfway through the video):

The raw talent is clearly there

Edited by nessus
  • Like 2

Thanks both.

My take on my limited viewings and his interviews is that he has had been conditioned to be a pro, his dad has clearly told him what it takes to make it. They know how much some organisations value the "intangibles" and it makes up for some of the holes in his game. But it's also something you want from players, guys that go hard.

I honestly think he was expecting to be traded to a contender and it's taken a bit of the wind out of his sails. 

• Like 1

I don`t think we have any need to rush him. Sometimes players needs much more time. And when player wants to play hard - it`s need more time to understand where you can go to the end and where you must step back. Play on the edge isn`t an easy thing. And I think Stillman is trying to play some kind of power forward game and as I saw power forwards are the most the hardest thing to develop.
i really like his as a person, I like to watch interviews and he is interesting nice guy. And his highlights are really good.

Edited by Guadana

6 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I don`t think we have any need to rush him. Sometimes players needs much more time. And when player wants to play hard - it`s need more time to understand where you can go to the end and where you must step back. Play on the edge isn`t an easy thing. And I think Stillman is trying to play some kind of power forward game and as I saw power forwards are the most the hardest thing to develop.

It's certainly an area we are lacking outside Bastian and Wood. 

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Thanks both.

My take on my limited viewings and his interviews is that he has had been conditioned to be a pro, his dad has clearly told him what it takes to make it. They know how much some organisations value the "intangibles" and it makes up for some of the holes in his game. But it's also something you want from players, guys that go hard.

I honestly think he was expecting to be traded to a contender and it's taken a bit of the wind out of his sails. 

Just look at how valuable Blake Coleman made himself by playing hard and not giving up on plays. I’ll take another guy like that in a heartbeat. Of course it might take 4-5 years for it to fully develop

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Just look at how valuable Blake Coleman made himself by playing hard and not giving up on plays. I’ll take another guy like that in a heartbeat. Of course it might take 4-5 years for it to fully develop

Agreed, although if Stillman could skate as well as Coleman I would be more excited. 

This was the take from the above article:

600144958_Screenshot_20220207-155622_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.f933de8efafb4eff0e72f6b2f7b411cb.jpg

There was also some interesting insights into Samu Salminen who is difficult to track (for me anyway). Wheeler said he is due to play for Denver University next season, so we will get a good look in the NCAA. 

He was ranked 10th of all our prospects. 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This was a good read. 

Very interesting. I forgot all about Thompson. I was also surprised at how high up Reilly Walsh was. It would be nice to see him develop and come up on the right side especially with PK soon to be gone

58 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Very interesting. I forgot all about Thompson. I was also surprised at how high up Reilly Walsh was. It would be nice to see him develop and come up on the right side especially with PK soon to be gone

Yep I totally forgot about Thompson as well.