GDT: It’s finally our turn! Devils vs Blackhawks - 15 Oct - 7p (Eastern)

jagknife

29 minutes ago, devlman said:

LGD…no Severson or Smith. No update on Wood but he’s probably out, too. Blackwood out recovering from heel surgery yet he played in the preseason so who knows his deal.

Well fair to see his heel is not 100% yet and Bernier has been playing well so no need to rush him

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And another fun fact - that's was the first ever Devils game that my dad and I attended in person.

Awesome.

This was my first (with my mother, father, and brother in tow...someone gave the tix to my dad so he took us all...I don't think he ever dreamed that his firstborn would become such a rabid Devils fan as a result):

Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils Box Score — December 10, 1983 | Hockey-Reference.com

I don't remember a ton, as far as who scored when goes (I was 13 at the time)...I do remember it being close through two periods, then leaving well before the game was over (I think my dad was kinda ready to bail after a couple of periods, and was looking for an excuse to beat the traffic...once the Flyers put it out of reach, he was beyond ready to leave).  What I remember more than anything else was what an impression the sport made on me...the speed, the passing, the shots, the saves, the plays, the ebb and flow...got completely sucked in right then and there...and something about a team being from "New Jersey" sucked me in that much more.

My idiot brother somehow became a Ranger fan, but in fairness to him, on a scale of 1-10, his fandom these days is maybe at a 2.  I've always been at a 11.  

And on two random side notes: 

Just hit me that my daughter is the same age now as I was back then.  Glad I gave her a roughly 11-year head start on becoming a Devils fan herself...

And thank whoever that we have sites like hockey-reference out there.  As the years passed, here's what I remembered about that first game:  Devils played the Flyers, game was close for a bit, Devils started getting killed, we left before it was over, I was 13, game was played sometime in December 1983.  Fun to be able to track down the ACTUAL game, and see how many memories are unearthed as a result of seeing the details. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

We can expect a good performance from Mercer tnight

Two things:

Too bad none of his pets could make it.

When I first read this entirely too fast, for a split second I was thinking “His brother’s name is DRUMMONDVILLE?!”  Yikes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two things:

Too bad none of his pets could make it.

When I first read this entirely too fast, for a split second I was thinking “His brother’s name is DRUMMONDVILLE?!”  Yikes.

I have an uncle named Drummondville. What's your problem here?

• Haha 2

All of the Devils wearing #10 during warmups, with “BROADWAY” as the nameplate.  Anyone know why?  (I have no idea).

4 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

tribute to jimmy hayes. 

Ok that makes tons of sense.  Forgot about the nickname.