Utica Comets Thread 2021-22

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Rather than sticking this in the Prospects thread I thought it was worth having its own thread. 

Utica's first game of the season tonight against the Rochester Americans. 

Lines for tonight:

Been a lively game so far! 

3-2 comets at the end of the first. Holtz has a goal , Tyce Thompson has two assists with Okhotiuk with the first.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 1

He keeps that up and he’s gonna force his way up here within a couple of months.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He keeps that up and he’s gonna force his way up here within a couple of months.  

He is doing exactly what he needs to do. Getting sent down could have been a knock to his confidence, but he is going out and getting the job done. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

He is doing exactly what he needs to do. Getting sent down could have been a knock to his confidence, but he is going out and getting the job done. 

And he needed the minutes, more than anything else.  He wasn’t going to get enough of them up here to start.  But yeah, at least he’s not sulking, as some guys do.

• Like 3

Comets up 6-2 now.  They have their share of AAAA players on that team, but that team could have a big year in the A.

• Like 1

6-2 is how it ends, Talvitie with a one timer a la Holtz from the oposite side, with Flynn getting the 6th. 

A good start. 

Hoping for good things for this team, would be nice to see a number of them take that step in development. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Boooom. Ovechkinesque

Inject this into my veins.

I cannot wait for this kid to crack the lineup.  Hopefully sooner than later.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He can bomb it and he can finesse too. 

Oh my God this too, those hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

Holtz Today:
About 16:45 TOI
8 shots
1 block
2 goals

is Holtz still a bust?

He's been a completely different player so far this year than what he shown last year. He's doing all the things he was said to be doing. Very encouraging as i was not a fan of that pick at all, i'd love to be wrong in this case.

If he can have a strong season and go to the world juniors, his confidence will be very good and he could likely come up late in the season or next year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

He's been a completely different player so far this year than what he shown last year. He's doing all the things he was said to be doing. Very encouraging as i was not a fan of that pick at all, i'd love to be wrong in this case.

If he can have a strong season and go to the world juniors, his confidence will be very good and he could likely come up late in the season or next year.

I wasn’t a fan of pick too. But after draft he is a devil. Let’s try to root for him and not waiting for “I told you so!” moment every time. This also applies to other players.

• Like 1

Looks like a pretty huge game from Holtz. Between those two goals and the goals he scored in preseason (finding a good rebound and a 2-on-1 where he beat the goalie clean), you can see what a versatile goalscorer he is.

With Holtz, I'm hoping we get Tarasenko-lite once he establishes himself in the NHL. Holtz seems to have stretches where he looks totally dominant out there, and others where he is good, but not quite on the same level. Reminds me of how Tarasenko used to go on those tears where he looked like the best player in the league. Obviously expectations for Holtz aren't quite that high, but if he develops well this season, he could turn out to be a somewhat similar player.

On that note, it is difficult to find a player who has had a similar development curve to Holtz. An early first round pick who spent his D+2 year as an AHL rookie isn't super common, but the best I've got is Timo Meier. He's a player who is very talented, although probably underperforming on a bad Sharks team. In his AHL rookie season, he scored 23 points in 33 games, and he has since  turned out to be a solid first line player. For those that are worried that Holtz didn't make the team, and are under the impression that he may be a disappointment - I don't think that's the case at all. Rather, there simply wasn't a spot for him once it became clear that Mercer was making the team. I think the idea that Zacha was going to play center was in case Holtz ended up making it over Mercer. The truth of the matter was that Mercer was simply more NHL-ready. There wasn't much more that Holtz could have even done during training camp. He was tied for first on the Devils in points in the preseason. Really looking forward to tracking his season in Utica. He might make a case for himself to end up back in NJ soon if he keeps it up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nessus said:

Looks like a pretty huge game from Holtz. Between those two goals and the goals he scored in preseason (finding a good rebound and a 2-on-1 where he beat the goalie clean), you can see what a versatile goalscorer he is.

With Holtz, I'm hoping we get Tarasenko-lite once he establishes himself in the NHL. Holtz seems to have stretches where he looks totally dominant out there, and others where he is good, but not quite on the same level. Reminds me of how Tarasenko used to go on those tears where he looked like the best player in the league. Obviously expectations for Holtz aren't quite that high, but if he develops well this season, he could turn out to be a somewhat similar player.

On that note, it is difficult to find a player who has had a similar development curve to Holtz. An early first round pick who spent his D+2 year as an AHL rookie isn't super common, but the best I've got is Timo Meier. He's a player who is very talented, although probably underperforming on a bad Sharks team. In his AHL rookie season, he scored 23 points in 33 games, and he has since  turned out to be a solid first line player. For those that are worried that Holtz didn't make the team, and are under the impression that he may be a disappointment - I don't think that's the case at all. Rather, there simply wasn't a spot for him once it became clear that Mercer was making the team. I think the idea that Zacha was going to play center was in case Holtz ended up making it over Mercer. The truth of the matter was that Mercer was simply more NHL-ready. There wasn't much more that Holtz could have even done during training camp. He was tied for first on the Devils in points in the preseason. Really looking forward to tracking his season in Utica. He might make a case for himself to end up back in NJ soon if he keeps it up.

I was a bit worried about his development before this year because covid hit him hard, underwhelming end to his SHL season, and the disappointing performance at the WJC. Now that we've seen him a bit I'm really not worried anymore. This kid is going to come as advertised and this time in the AHL to light it up, round out his game, and really start to feel the smaller ice surface is going to make it so he doesn't walk, but runs in his transition to the NHL level.

He should see some time in the NHL this season, and maybe more than a little, but I don't see this move of letting him soak a bit more in the AHL as being a negative at all. The smoother the transition, the better. We should all know given we watched Zacha struggle for so long. 

• Like 1