Utica Comets Thread 2021-22

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Man I love how Holtz is scoring. His first was from driving to the net and getting a rebound and his second was another great wrist shot. Great to see him adjusting to the AHL. Hopefully he’s up here sometime later in the season. 

Nice little seeing eye shot by Okhotiuk in there too. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 3

Utica moves to 4-0-0 to start the year. We are focusing a lot on Holtz, but it's worth mentioning that the team has only allowed 6 goals, which is the lowest in the entire AHL. 

The Ontario Reign are the only other undefeated team in the AHL. 

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Utica moves to 4-0-0 to start the year. We are focusing a lot on Holtz, but it's worth mentioning that the team has only allowed 6 goals, which is the lowest in the entire AHL. 

The Ontario Reign are the only other undefeated team in the AHL. 

It’s nice to finally have a really good AHL team with actual top end prospects again.  When was the last time we had that?  When guys like Elias, Morrison and Madden were coming thru Albany?   

I hated how Lou ran our minor league affiliates into the ground in multiple cities.  

21 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

It’s nice to finally have a really good AHL team with actual top end prospects again.  When was the last time we had that?  When guys like Elias, Morrison and Madden were coming thru Albany?   

I hated how Lou ran our minor league affiliates into the ground in multiple cities.  

I think it’s a real good AHL team, but not so sure Utica has a lot of top-end prospects.  Holtz is off to a flying start and that’s great to see, but not sure about how the rest of the kids will fare as NHLers…and how many of them will graduate and stick with the big club.  Not saying that NONE of them will contribute to the Devils in time, more that just there doesn’t seem to be a lot of real sure things there.  

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think it’s a real good AHL team, but not so sure Utica has a lot of top-end prospects.  Holtz is off to a flying start and that’s great to see, but not sure about how the rest of the kids will fare as NHLers…and how many of them will graduate and stick with the big club.  Not saying that NONE of them will contribute to the Devils in time, more that just there doesn’t seem to be a lot of real sure things there.  

That’s fair and I should probably drop the “high end” but relative to what you might expect on an AHL team, Holtz, Foote, Boqvist, Clarke, Bahl, Okhotiuk, etc all at least have hopes of decent NHL careers.  There were years where we had nothing more than a guy like Christian Berlund or Ari Ahonen in the AHL system.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

That’s fair and I should probably drop the “high end” but relative to what you might expect on an AHL team, Holtz, Foote, Boqvist, Clarke, Bahl, Okhotiuk, etc all at least have hopes of decent NHL careers.  There were years where we had nothing more than a guy like Christian Berlund or Ari Ahonen in the AHL system.  

Yeah wasn’t so long ago that the farm team was stocked with “cup of coffee” types who got more of chance here (due to the state of the Devils) than they ever could have expected with a lot of other franchises.  Holtz will get a nice long look here in time…I’m thinking at least one of the other kids should eventually make the team.  Well, at least I feel pretty good about that last part.

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

Boqvist, Foote and Clarke all need to get their arses in gear and make the minutes they are getting count. 

Okhotyuk and Talvitie have been more impressive so far from what I have seen. I am undecided on Bahl. He has a while to go with his game but the skills are there. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah wasn’t so long ago that the farm team was stocked with “cup of coffee” types who got more of chance here (due to the state of the Devils) than they ever could have expected with a lot of other franchises.  Holtz will get a nice long look here in time…I’m thinking at least one of the other kids should eventually make the team.  Well, at least I feel pretty good about that last part.

It’s almost like bad drafting left the cupboards empty…

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We'd have a way better AHL team if it wasn't that we have the youngest NHL team and what we're giving a shot to a lot of the young guys early i suspect

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

We'd have a way better AHL team if it wasn't that we have the youngest NHL team and what we're giving a shot to a lot of the young guys early i suspect

You know how it works though…plenty of real blue-chippers spend little to no time in the AHL.  Dawson’s here because he showed that he could already be worthy during preseason, and so far hasn’t disappointed.  Holtz (so far, still early) seems to be on a mission to prove that he belongs up here too.

The AHL is more to develop some of your second and third-tier types.  The Comets do have a batch of guys that could potentially fit that bill…how many of them become permanent, solid NHLers, I’m not sure…I can’t say I think much of guys like Boqvist and Foote, for example.  But they can clearly compete against fellow AHL teams.  

great to see comets win the game where their opponent were better. Holtz has a lot to grow, great he is good in what he was picked for.I really like Deleo game. Hope he will have some bottom line minutes in NHL. Briann Gibbons vibes from his game. 
Holtz has visible big potential to play NHL, Okhotiuk had real potential to play NHL, the biggest problem for him is devils are full of left defensemen, Thompson, Daws and Schmid, Foote are look like may be\may be not future NHL players. And I really like Thompson game. But there are some questions still.

DeLeo is a 26-year-old with all of five NHL games to his name so far…he’s an overage solid AHLer (who will enjoy a boost in his numbers depending upon Holtz continuing to bury chances and/or how long Holtz stays with the Comets), but nothing more than that.

I dont tell Deleo has real NHL future, I just tell he is good enough to have some calls. Sometimes things work out later, you can ask Coleman. And Deleo`s production isnt surprise for AHL. He is very solid player for that level. More solid 200 foot player than Holtz for now. Anyway its about injury reserve.

Edited by Guadana