Utica Comets Thread 2021-22

Chimaira_Devil_#9

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mitens is becoming a serious problem…he’s put up an .859 save% so far.  Comets almost bailed him out…they were down 7-3 entering the third, and pulled to within one with almost four minutes left, but the comeback stalled there.  As long as Mitens to be in net (and the Comets may not have much choice in the short term), the losses are going to start piling up for Utica.  

I feel bad for that guy. He’s an ECHL goalie being asked to carry an AHL team. Daws’ injury came at such an unfortunate time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I feel bad for that guy. He’s an ECHL goalie being asked to carry an AHL team. Daws’ injury came at such an unfortunate time. 

Yeah I feel bad for him too…he’s clearly not up to the task of playing in the AHL, but such is the state of the franchise goaltending at the moment (injuries, Covid, etc).

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I feel bad for him too…he’s clearly not up to the task of playing in the AHL, but such is the state of the franchise goaltending at the moment (injuries, Covid, etc).

His ECHL performance wasn't that good either. His save percentage was only 0.902. 

Utica's season has just been completely derailed by COVID , but I think it's credit to the coaching staff that they are still keeping that side competitive even in the most challenging games. 

If Lindy were to go I would 100% give this coaching staff a chance. 

• Like 2

Yeah it's not like Utica's really been playing any worse, outside of now getting well-below-average goaltending.

They were actually down 7-2 at one point...to pull to within one is pretty impressive.  If Mitens isn't in net, I'm sure that would've been another win for the Utes.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Utica back to winning ways. No surprise that now Daws and Schmid are back between the pipes the goals agaist are going down. 

Schmid with a 34 save performance last night. 

Holtz with another goal and foot continues his resurgence after his time in the NHL. 

Zetterlund also continuing his hot streak as well. 

• Like 3

Yeah Mitens not being there is obviously a huge help to the Comets…poor guy was in over his head.

My main hope is that Holtz plays in every single one of their remaining games…and has a legit shot to make the team next season and can hopefully stick/look more ready to play in the NHL.

Zetterlund’s AHL numbers have improved every season, but hard to see him contributing much offensively as an NHLer.  

• Like 2

Utica defeated Syracuse in the return of Fridays fixture 6-3. 

Both Holtz and Foot continuing their hot streak with goals. Reilly Walsh has also picked up his production after a bit of a slump. 

Highlights from the game. Holtz with an Ovichkinesque first and a beautiful writer for the second. His statline now reads 17gp 11g , 9a for 20pts. Can't complain about that at all.

Foote has 8 points in his last 5 games which is only two less that he had in 22 games before. Hoping he has finally turned a corner. 

Walsh now has 10 more points than he did for the whole of last season in two less games. 

Things on the up again for the Comets! 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 4
  • Shocking 1

Can't see how Holtz doesn't get some serious time with the big club next season...I'm guessing he makes the team out of preseason, struggles enough to get sent back down, tears it up, and then comes up to stay...he won't necessarily light it up with the Devils right away, but he'll look much more comfortable, and will show flashes of what he can become.  I'm guessing about 50 NHL games and about 15 G for him next season...I can live with that for a rookie getting his first extended look in the NHL.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Daws had his first AHL shutout tonight in a 4-0 win. Good to see Utica keeping it up. Daws better Ec careful though or they’ll make him come up and play with the NJ defense

Assuming Blackwood is done for the season, they should sign or trade for another goalie to finish out this year with Gillies in the NHL.  Send Schmid back down to play in Utica and split time with Daws.  Let them both continue to develop and have success in the A rather than put one of them in the NHL where they are not ready to play.  Embrace the full tank mode and Suck for Shane the rest of the way.

Hat trick for Zetterlund tonight, who now has 16 G and 15 A in 30 GP.  Doubt he’ll be much of an offensive force with the big club, but he has improved drastically each year as an AHLer.

Comets now 24-5-5 so far.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Nice. Keep it going, Holtz 

Really hope he stays in Utica for the rest of the season. Keeps the winning feeling going with the other guys and is confident for 2022-23. 

Utica seems like the only place in this organisation where players are going to learn how to win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Holtz with a goal and an assist through 1 period tonight. Imagine Jack teeing up shots for this guy. Can't wait until he's ready for the NHL.

Considering how underwhelming his numbers were entering this year, it’s great to see him putting up solid numbers as a 19-20 year old AHL rookie.  Really feels like he should be up for good sometime next season.  

Never been to an AHL game before, but that will change on 2/19, in Lehigh Valley (Comets vs Phantoms).  I went to that arena earlier this year…a friend of mine had a couple of extra tickets to a monster truck rally, so we went…nice little arena, obviously much smaller than NHL buildings.  Very much looking forward to a new hockey experience…if we have a good time, we’ll go back on April 2 (Comets visit again).  Some restaurants right nearby, so plenty of places to get some chow ahead of the game.  

• Like 2