Utica Comets Thread 2021-22

Chimaira_Devil_#9

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Never been to an AHL game before, but that will change on 2/19, in Lehigh Valley (Comets vs Phantoms).  I went to that arena earlier this year…a friend of mine had a couple of extra tickets to a monster truck rally, so we went…nice little arena, obviously much smaller than NHL buildings.  Very much looking forward to a new hockey experience…if we have a good time, we’ll go back on April 2 (Comets visit again).  Some restaurants right nearby, so plenty of places to get some chow ahead of the game.  

They are pretty fun. Smaller arenas mean barely ever bad seats. And there are usually a lot of great jerseys in the crowd. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Never been to an AHL game before, but that will change on 2/19, in Lehigh Valley (Comets vs Phantoms).  I went to that arena earlier this year…a friend of mine had a couple of extra tickets to a monster truck rally, so we went…nice little arena, obviously much smaller than NHL buildings.  Very much looking forward to a new hockey experience…if we have a good time, we’ll go back on April 2 (Comets visit again).  Some restaurants right nearby, so plenty of places to get some chow ahead of the game.  

I used to live out in the Lehigh Valley for a couple years, went to games all the time. Like you said, really nice small little arena, a lot of fun. Just don't walk too far off in certain directions from the arena, but that's the same as The Rock in Newark of course.

I actually helped build (well, design and manage construction) the restaurant across the street called The Hamilton. Haven't been in a couple years, but definitely recommend the bar at least.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

https://streamable.com/gmv4j0

this pass from holtz is sexier than any of his goals. what a playmaker. 

he’s shifting into “unreadable” territory. has there ever been a Devil to dominate the AHL like this? 

His playmaking abilities have always been underrated I feel. Sure his shot is definitely his biggest strength, but he isn't a "Laine" type prospect that's only goal scoring. That pass was sick!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Honestly we’re not making the playoffs, maybe just keep him down there until Utica wins the cup and bring him and the kids up after those playoffs end. 

That’s true too, might as well give them the best chance at winning. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

https://streamable.com/gmv4j0

this pass from holtz is sexier than any of his goals. what a playmaker. 

he’s shifting into “unreadable” territory. has there ever been a Devil to dominate the AHL like this? 

Sure…John Madden put up 98 points in 75 GP in the AHL in 1998-99.  Lots of examples of young Devils putting up nice AHL numbers.

I’m still in favor of keeping Holtz down with the Comets…his time will absolutely come.  I save this season for the “maybe”-type players to get a look.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure…John Madden put up 98 points in 75 GP in the AHL in 1998-99.  Lots of examples of young Devils putting up nice AHL numbers.

I’m still in favor of keeping Holtz down with the Comets…his time will absolutely come.  I save this season for the “maybe”-type players to get a look.

Sykora and Elias also had good years of a point per game or a little more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

if you have to go back a quarter of a century to find comparable point-per-game stats for an AHL devil, it’s a pretty good sign that this kid might be a stud.

That was just one example…there are definitely several others.  Zetterlund’s numbers are about PPG this season.  Friggin’ Quenneville put up 39 points in 37 GP back in 2018-19.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was just one example…there are definitely several others.  Zetterlund’s numbers are about PPG this season.  Friggin’ Quenneville put up 39 points in 37 GP back in 2018-19.

Q would have been 22-23 years old that year though. Same with Zetterlund this season. 

Holtz otoh was a teenager up until about 2 weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Q would have been 22-23 years old that year though. Same with Zetterlund this season. 

Holtz otoh was a teenager up until about 2 weeks ago. 

MB3 was basically asking if anyone for the Devils’ AHL teams had put up impressive offensive numbers.  I wasn’t getting into uber-specifics.

I’m also not trying to minimize what Holtz is doing in any way…I couldn’t be happier with what he’s done (even if it’s only 23 games).  He should get every chance to make the team out of preseason next season, as a 20-year-old.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MB3 was basically asking if anyone for the Devils’ AHL teams had put up impressive offensive numbers.  I wasn’t getting into uber-specifics.

Next time I expect a 30 page thesis about why you think it’s the same, or why it’s not lol. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Next time I expect a 30 page thesis about why you think it’s the same, or why it’s not lol. 

Nah sounds like work

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’m also not trying to minimize what Holtz is doing in any way…I couldn’t be happier with what he’s done (even if it’s only 23 games).  He should get every chance to make the team out of preseason next season, as a 20-year-old.

Oh I know. Just adding a little context. 

Context is everything when it comes to young players in the AHL. Mikko Rantanen’s AHL rookie season was far more impressive/encouraging than Chase De Leo’s current season, even if Chase finishes up with more points. I think it’s important to assess Holtz’s production in the context of the type of player he is, how his skill set will translate to the NHL and the Devils in particular, and how his production this season compares to prospects at similar stages of development. 

Timo Meier is a good example. Top 10 draft pick who spent his D+2 year playing in the AHL and produced at a rate of 0.7 p/g. Several years later he looks like a dominant NHL player. Then there’s Rantanen who led his AHL team in points in his D+1 year at well over 1 p/g, and shortly after became a star player. Obviously this is not the sole predictor of success at the NHL level, but producing at a rate somewhere between these two players is very encouraging.  

• Like 6

Utica loses 3-2 last night, but Holtz and Zetterlund both score…for Holtz, that’s 8 G and 11 A over his last 14 GP. Zetterlund has been steady pretty much all season, but has been generating more and more shots on goal as the season has wore on…after popping in 2 G through his first 9 GP (11 SOG), he’s since scored 15 G in 24 GP, with 81 SOG over that stretch.

Unless Holtz shows up to preseason out of shape or simply plays terribly, it’s really hard to imagine that he’s not with the Devils to start the 2022-23 season.  Zetterlund’s an interesting case…he’s appeared to have figured out the AHL, and next season (he’ll be 23) won’t have much to prove there.  The question is what are Fitz & Co expecting out of him, as an NHLer?  Do they believe any of his scoring can translate up here?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Utica loses 3-2 last night, but Holtz and Zetterlund both score…for Holtz, that’s 8 G and 11 A over his last 14 GP. Zetterlund has been steady pretty much all season, but has been generating more and more shots on goal as the season has wore on…after popping in 2 G through his first 9 GP (11 SOG), he’s since scored 15 G in 24 GP, with 81 SOG over that stretch.

Unless Holtz shows up to preseason out of shape or simply plays terribly, it’s really hard to imagine that he’s not with the Devils to start the 2022-23 season.  Zetterlund’s an interesting case…he’s appeared to have figured out the AHL, and next season (he’ll be 23) won’t have much to prove there.  The question is what are Fitz & Co expecting out of him, as an NHLer?  Do they believe any of his scoring can translate up here?  

Scott Wheeler for the Athletic had an interesting take on Zetterlund the other day saying that his body mass could at this stage actually be affecting his mobility. And he should drop some mass to improve his game. 

Have seen this with players before in football (soccer) where they have been too well built that they lose speed and are prone to injury. So maybe an adjustment to his training routine may help. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Scott Wheeler for the Athletic had an interesting take on Zetterlund the other day saying that his body mass could at this stage actually be affecting his mobility. And he should drop some mass to improve his game. 

Have seen this with players before in football (soccer) where they have been too well built that they lose speed and are prone to injury. So maybe an adjustment to his training routine may help. 

He's getting away with it at the AHL level, but yeah, obviously a much different world in the NHL.  Friggin' Q put up 39 points in 38 AHL games in his age 22 season.

The Devils aren't the only team that can score 7 in a game! Utica beat the Cleveland Monsters (great name) tonight 7-5. Holtz with a goal and an assist, Zetterlund with 2 assists, Foote and Clarke with a goal each. All good news for the young players in the Devils' system!

• Like 3