Utica Comets Thread 2021-22

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Just now, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yeah Fitz said there is a language barrier to conted with. One of the reason they wanted him over asap was to start working on that before the start of next season. 

I am just hoping he gives Yegor style interviews. 

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 9:34 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

Utica won 6-3

Thompson, Gambardella, Russo, Schmelzer, and Greer(2) were the goal scorers. Walsh, Foote, and Okhotiuk with 2 assists, Holtz with zero points. Daws gets the W with 19 saves on 22 shots.

https://lscluster.hockeytech.com/game_reports/official-game-report.php?lang_id=1&client_code=ahl&game_id=1023813

Staten Island's own Joe Gambardella had the GWG. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Utica loses 4-3 in OT again tonight. Goals from Zetterlund, Greer, and Talvitie. Interestingly, after going 1-1 in the playoffs with Daws, they went with Schmid in this one. 

I didn’t watch the game, but was Schmid bad?  Besides, looking at the numbers it doesn’t look like Daws had better results.  The win was with 6 goals for support.

Lack of centers and structure. I wasn’t a fan of how players support each other and play against in center zone. There are a lot of talent, but for now I can’t say that Dineen is my numero uno coach for changing Ruff.

They have been really inconsistent for a while now. Their run in was messed up by all the call ups and they just didn't come into the playoffs with any form of momentum. I also don't think the layoff with the bye through the first round did them any favours. 

Got to say from some of the younger guys Instagram posts it has looked like they are already on holiday!! Not saying players cant chill out and enjoy life, but they were in the middle of a playoff series. 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

They have been really inconsistent for a while now. Their run in was messed up by all the call ups and they just didn't come into the playoffs with any form of momentum. I also don't think the layoff with the bye through the first round did them any favours. 

Got to say from some of the younger guys Instagram posts it has looked like they are already on holiday!! Not saying players cant chill out and enjoy life, but they were in the middle of a playoff series. 

Yeah kinda too bad in that it would've been nice to see some kind of run from SOME team associated with the Devils...not like they're toast just yet.  But yeah as we know the Comets got off to an insane start, then as will happen when the big team is dealing with injuries and/or poor performance, the AHL team gets raided...that's what it's there for.  Who the hell can say for sure, but for some of those kids who got a taste of the NHL life (and started to show a little something, like Zetterlund), you wonder if it makes going back to the AHL that much more difficult mentally.  

9 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I didn’t watch the game, but was Schmid bad?  Besides, looking at the numbers it doesn’t look like Daws had better results.  The win was with 6 goals for support.

I didn’t watch but they both lost in OT 4-3 losses. Former Devil Aaron Dell was in Rochester’s net. 

Daws let in 4 goals on 29 shots in game 2, Schmid let in 4 on 38 in game 3. Daws let in 3 on 22 shots in game 1 so switching out makes a lot of sense if they wanted to try to turn things around. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Utica could probably use a guy like Studenic in their lineup.  Instead he played decently yesterday for Dallas so that the Devils could keep Geertsen around.

Crazy that keeping Geertsen on the roster cost this team Wedge and Studenic. Not that either are world beaters, but jeez I’d rather have them than a generic face puncher playing 3 minutes twice a month. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Crazy that keeping Geertsen on the roster cost this team Wedge and Studenic. Not that either are world beaters, but jeez I’d rather have them than a generic face puncher playing 3 minutes twice a month. 

This is why I keep posting away saying that the rot on this team goes beyond just the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah, on one hand, are they really going on to do anything special or memorable?  No.  But yeah, when Mason Geertsen is the guy who's being kept ahead of them...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Schmid likely played because it was a back to back. 

Sucks to lose Studenic but he doesn’t move the needle much at the NHL level so I won’t get on anyones case about it, even if it was for Geertson. It would be nice to have the AHL team make a deep run but I highly doubt the NHL team cares much about that.

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Schmid likely played because it was a back to back. 

Sucks to lose Studenic but he doesn’t move the needle much at the NHL level so I won’t get on anyones case about it, even if it was for Geertson. It would be nice to have the AHL team make a deep run but I highly doubt the NHL team cares much about that.

NHL teams shouldn't put the needs of their AHL affiliate above their own.  That's why I think that the theory of Ruff not being fired earlier in the year in place of Dineen due to the latter's success in Utica doesn't hold water to me.  If that is indeed the case, then Fitz is a bigger failure than I thought.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

NHL teams shouldn't put the needs of their AHL affiliate above their own.  That's why I think that the theory of Ruff not being fired earlier in the year in place of Dineen due to the latter's success in Utica doesn't hold water to me.  If that is indeed the case, then Fitz is a bigger failure than I thought.

Agree, that’s definitely not true. 

52 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

overpayment for which team exactly? i'm legit not sure 

Seriously? Fitz’s kid is like 25 and has barely sniffed the NHL. 

Okhotiuk is 21 and has top 4 d potential. He’s pretty easily our best defensive prospect that’s not named Luke Hughes. 

Casey Fitzgerald is probably not even in the Sabres top 10 prospects. 

• Like 1