Utica Comets Thread 2021-22

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Too bad Greer isn’t a prospect…he’s notched 18 goals and 12 assists over his last 30 GP (including 10 points over his last three games).  But he’s 25 and has done very little in limited appearances in the NHL.

Utes win 5-3 tonight.  No points for Holtz.  

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Too bad Greer isn’t a prospect…he’s notched 18 goals and 12 assists over his last 30 GP (including 10 points over his last three games).  But he’s 25 and has done very little in limited appearances in the NHL.

Greer is a AAAA dude

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But, what’s the full season pace? Wait, I borrowed your calculator. 

24280492-16AE-4595-852B-5E1DCAF0F89F.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I mean it's probably just coincidence, but Holtz's Girlfriend finished a tour in Sweden recently and came over to the US on like the 18th of March or something.

In the six games since then he has had 1 point. The previous 6 games he had 8 points. Get the feeling he might be expending some of his energies elsewhere......

• Haha 3
  • Shocking 1

Utica loses 3-2 at Lehigh Valley (kinda glad that I didn’t go to this one).  They were up 2-0 after one and 2-1 through two, before giving up two about a minute apart in the third (sounds familiar).  Both of the Comets’ goals were on the power play…Tyce Thompson with a pair of goals and assists in two games since his return.  Holtz had a secondary assist on the first PP goal.

Comets now 5-5-1 in their last 11…they now have 11 games left in their season.  The Marlies have four games in hand but Utica’s just too far ahead to think the division title is even close to being in danger.  Now it’s just about the Utes trying to get back on a roll before the playoffs begin.  They should have Daws back at least…he’s been good for them.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Utica loses 3-2 at Lehigh Valley (kinda glad that I didn’t go to this one).  They were up 2-0 after one and 2-1 through two, before giving up two about a minute apart in the third (sounds familiar).  Both of the Comets’ goals were on the power play…Tyce Thompson with a pair of goals and assists in two games since his return.  Holtz had a secondary assist on the first PP goal.

Comets now 5-5-1 in their last 11…they now have 11 games left in their season.  The Marlies have four games in hand but Utica’s just too far ahead to think the division title is even close to being in danger.  Now it’s just about the Utes trying to get back on a roll before the playoffs begin.  They should have Daws back at least…he’s been good for them.  

They are really missing that Daws Schmid combo. 

Athough he has only had limited games this season Thompson is putting up decent numbers. Gives me hope for next season. 

11 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

They are really missing that Daws Schmid combo. 

Athough he has only had limited games this season Thompson is putting up decent numbers. Gives me hope for next season. 

Yeah we’ve been over it…once you sift past Holtz and the AAAA-non prospects, there’s definitely some 3rd and 4th line candidates down there.  Guys like Thompson will get their chances during preseason to stand out from the pack.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah we’ve been over it…once you sift past Holtz and the AAAA-non prospects, there’s definitely some 3rd and 4th line candidates down there.  Guys like Thompson will get their chances during preseason to stand out from the pack.

Let's see how he gets on. Is this going to be a conditioning stint to ease him back in before he is is called back up. Or are they going to let his see out the AHL season. 1.22 P/G is strong, although not enough of a sample size at the moment.

Still hoping he might progress to be that 2nd/3rd line winger who can be a force on the PK. Fill that Blake Coleman sort of role. 

It's a shame he hasn't got his brothers frame, guy is huge (6ft 7!!!).  He is having an excellent year for Buffalo. 

• Like 1

Another tough loss for Utica tonight, falling 5-3 to the Rockets. They took an early 3-1 lead, before finishing the 1st tied at 3-3. 

Nate Schnarr, who was the player we dealt to acquire part time human statue part time NHL goaltender Andrew Hammond, got 2 assists to see off his old team. 

The positives? Holtz had a two point night. Goal and an assist. Again it's probably not related but his Mrs is now in California.... 

Anyway, the call ups are really hurting Utica. Such a shame. 

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree. I don't think it is worth the impact to Utica to call some of these guys up nor was dealing Schnarr for a guy that couldn't stop a beach ball.

If guys on the big club are going down with injuries, not much Fitz can do…kinda has no choice but to call up Utes as replacements.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If guys on the big club are going down with injuries, not much Fitz can do…kinda has no choice but to call up Utes as replacements.  

I keep reading this as Cousin Vinny saying “yutes.” 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I keep reading this as Cousin Vinny saying “yutes.” 

So do I heh heh

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yea, but there are prob less productive options like Clarke and Gauthier vs taking Greer and Zetterlund who have been important to Utica. I guess it doesn't matter. I am not sure they could miss the playoffs at this point.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yea, but there are prob less productive options like Clarke and Gauthier vs taking Greer and Zetterlund who have been important to Utica. I guess it doesn't matter. I am not sure they could miss the playoffs at this point.

On the other side of things, I wonder if Fitz sends Utica any extra help for the playoffs once the Devils season is over? I’d imagine Ty Smith would be the main candidate, but maybe also guys like Mercer and Sharongovich? I really don’t know how the rules work with that. 

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

On the other side of things, I wonder if Fitz sends Utica any extra help for the playoffs once the Devils season is over? I’d imagine Ty Smith would be the main candidate, but maybe also guys like Mercer and Sharongovich? I really don’t know how the rules work with that. 

Players had to be sent down by a certain date in march and be on the AHL roster to be eligible for the AHL playoffs. As far as I am aware the Devil's didn't do that. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Players had to be sent down by a certain date in march and be on the AHL roster to be eligible for the AHL playoffs. As far as I am aware the Devil's didn't do that. 

They did it for Daws, I remember it was a quick on paper send down. But yeah no one else got that. 

11 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They’re not missing the playoffs…they have too large of a lead at this point in the season to be overtaken.  

And even though it’s nice if Utica wins, it’s always about the big club.  What’s nice is those kids will find themselves back with Utica for the playoffs.  And I don’t mind a guy like Zetterlund getting a look with the big club…at the very least, coming up here is a reminder for players like him that the NHL is quite the big step up from the AHL.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976