Utica Comets Thread 2021-22

Chimaira_Devil_#9

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two things that make this achievement impressive:  that they keep doing this despite losing players to call-ups (and De Leo, who’s been productive for them, having missed five games), and the team really not being all that great, in terms of higher-end future NHLers and overall talent.  This isn’t the 2004-05 Manchester Monarchs.  

And their goal differential isn’t insanely high for an undefeated team…seems like they’re truly doing this as a TEAM, getting contributions from everyone.  Of course they’re also getting incredible goaltending most nights.  

It really has been remarkable. They keep finding ways to win, despite losing key players. Probably a testament to the good coaching and strong team environment. There's not a single player close to the league lead in points. But I will say that I think they're a more talented group than they're getting credit for. You don't really see much high end talent come out of the AHL these days. Occasionally you get a William Nylander or Mikko Rantanen, but that seems to the rare case. As far as upside goes, I couldn't name more than 3-4 players in the entire league who are even in Holtz's ballpark. And to be honest, having an AHL roster that has included (for at least part of the season) a handful of reasonably competent bottom 6/3rd pairing NHL players is actually pretty good for an AHL squad. Several years back, players on the levels of Tyce Thompson, Fabian Zetterlund, Jesper Boqvist, Alex Holtz, and Nikita Okhotiuk are making the NHL roster out of camp, no question. 

All that said, there has been a good distribution of production throughout the lineup, without anyone performing head and shoulders above the rest. Looks like a good system with everyone buying in.

• Like 4

Oh I agree, the AHL has really become more of a bottom-6/2nd or 3rd D-pair/decent goalie/temp call-up league.  But guys like Daneyko are seeing this hot start and making it sound like Utica has tons of legit prospects…they have some guys who may become decent NHLers someday, but there’s not a sure thing in the bunch.  I’m very hopeful with Holtz and the goalies, and a couple of the D, but guys like Zetterlund, Boqvist, some others…as much as I’d like to, I can’t get excited about players like that.

15 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Comets are currently destroying Rochester 4-0. 

Hell of a story so far, regardless of the league or general talent level of this team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hell of a story so far, regardless of the league or general talent level of this team.

Indeed. Once again scoring from across the lineup tonight. Just really impressive. 

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Indeed. Once again scoring from across the lineup tonight. Just really impressive. 

Absolutely insane. No Holtz or Zetterlund either. A lot of potential NHLers down there.

12 hours ago, devlman said:

Absolutely insane. No Holtz or Zetterlund either. A lot of potential NHLers down there.

That’s what I’m not so sure about.  The guy leading the team in points is 26 years old.  You have a lot of 22-year-olds there (turning 23 in 2022) who’ve been around a while, some of whom have gotten looks in the NHL, but haven’t been able to stick.

I think the Comets are well-coached (Dineen seems to know how to win in the AHL), and they play incredibly well as a team…like others have noted, different guys pitching in game in and game out.  They’ve been a fun story, especially since, like has been mentioned, they’ve had the big club borrow players left and right (including the most legit prospect in Holtz)…not that many of their players have appeared in all 13 of Utica’s games.

I do think (hope?) that if anything, when some of these Comets are called up to fill in for Devils who are hurt (or scratched), that Dineen and his staff have them solidly prepared to be reasonably competent, where after a couple of games you’re not already thinking “Geez, this guy is not ready for the NHL yet.”  Long-term, I’m hoping that Holtz, one of the D there, and one of the goalies all become solid performers for the Devils.  If any of the rest currently there follow suit, I’ll consider that a nice bonus…especially if Luke Hughes (who I suspect won’t even sniff the AHL) pans out.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That’s what I’m not so sure about.  The guy leading the team in points is 26 years old.  You have a lot of 22-year-olds there (turning 23 in 2022) who’ve been around a while, some of whom have gotten looks in the NHL, but haven’t been able to stick.

I think the Comets are well-coached (Dineen seems to know how to win in the AHL), and they play incredibly well as a team…like others have noted, different guys pitching in game in and game out.  They’ve been a fun story, especially since, like has been mentioned, they’ve had the big club borrow players left and right (including the most legit prospect in Holtz)…not that many of their players have appeared in all 13 of Utica’s games.

I do think (hope?) that if anything, when some of these Comets are called up to fill in for Devils who are hurt (or scratched), that Dineen and his staff have them solidly prepared to be reasonably competent, where after a couple of games you’re not already thinking “Geez, this guy is not ready for the NHL yet.”  Long-term, I’m hoping that Holtz, one of the D there, and one of the goalies all become solid performers for the Devils.  If any of the rest currently there follow suit, I’ll consider that a nice bonus…especially if Luke Hughes (who I suspect won’t even sniff the AHL) pans out.

That’s the thing, and as was mentioned previously, having a number of guys who can step in and play NHL minutes when needed is nothing to sneeze at or take for granted - and there are a bunch of them down there (quite a bit for the AHL level and not old guys either). And a few of them could become successful at this level. 

Edited by devlman

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Lol that’s actually hysterical. 

I smell a third jersey for Utica just begging to be made…

Another win for Utica!

Holtz's 2 assists bring him to 9 points in 7 games on the season! That's good for top 10 in the AHL in points per game for players who have played 5+ games. Leading the list (no minimum GP) is none other than Tomas Tatar Tommy Novak.

16-1-0 now.  They play the Lehigh Valley Phantoms sometime in March...I might go check them out.  

Missed the last two Comets games, one was a 2-0 win against Binghamton. 

Last night's game was a rescheduled game, as the two teams Utica were due to play over the weekend were placed in the COVID protocol. 

An overtime loss last night. Former Devil Seth Helgeson with a goal for Bridgeport. 

Two points on the night for Foote , no points and only one shot for Holtz.