Hughes back tonight against Sharks!

RunninWithTheDevil

Jesus ... we've played 2 games and we already are in injury hell.  Glad to hear that Jack didn't need surgery, but the caveat to it all was the wording "at this time."  It's the Devils, and we know how day to day equates to month to month with "upper body injuries" for this team so I'm not getting too excited yet.  Plus, he will always be at increased risk of future shoulder dislocation which isn't great for an undersized NHL player. 

The depth at C (or lack thereof) is a major problem in this organization.  Maybe they can coax Zajac out of retirement to be the 4th line C if things go sideways and Hughes' injury is more long term than short.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Jesus ... we've played 2 games and we already are in injury hell.  Glad to hear that Jack didn't need surgery, but the caveat to it all was the wording "at this time."  It's the Devils, and we know how day to day equates to month to month with "upper body injuries" for this team so I'm not getting too excited yet.  Plus, he will always be at increased risk of future shoulder dislocation which isn't great for an undersized NHL player. 

The depth at C (or lack thereof) is a major problem in this organization.  Maybe they can coax Zajac out of retirement to be the 4th line C if things go sideways and Hughes' injury is more long term than short.

Hughes

Nico

Mercer

Zacha (I like him better at wing but he can play center)

McLeod

I'd say their center depth is quite solid...but yeah, lose a guy like Jack and it's gonna hurt.  Like others have said, difficult guy to replace.  

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Didn't the Devils insist Hall didn't need surgery for months until he did back in 18-19 season?

The team was in a sh!t spot and didn't need him playing anyway. I don't recall anyone saying he didn't need surgery, just that there was no reason to rush him back so they tried to let it heal on its own. 

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hughes

Nico

Mercer

Zacha (I like him better at wing but he can play center)

McLeod

I'd say their center depth is quite solid...but yeah, lose a guy like Jack and it's gonna hurt.  Like others have said, difficult guy to replace.  

I don't consider Zacha a C.  He can play there in a pinch, but is really ineffective in that position.   That leaves us with Nico, Mercer, McLeod and ??? for what likely will be 4-6 weeks.  Not great.  The only C's on the Comets roster are Zetterlund, Talvitie, Schmelzer, and Flynn.  Maybe we give Zetterlund a look.

2 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I don't consider Zacha a C.  He can play there in a pinch, but is really ineffective in that position.   That leaves us with Nico, Mercer, McLeod and ??? for what likely will be 4-6 weeks.  Not great.  The only C's on the Comets roster are Zetterlund, Talvitie, Schmelzer, and Flynn.  Maybe we give Zetterlund a look.

Boqvist is a center too (not that he excites me much).  

If anything we'll start to find out about some of these "other guys".  Someone in that crowd was going to get a look sooner or later.  Of course I'd rather Hughes was playing, and the Devils didn't need to go to the well this early (or at all).  

But still, Hughes - Nico - Mercer is pretty damned good young center depth to have, at the big-league level (and I'm good with McLeod as a 4C).  A team is only going to be so deep at that position...not like you can just stash top prospects in the AHL forever...if they're that good, they either skip that league altogether, or don't spend that much time there.   

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Boqvist is a center too (not that he excites me much).  

If anything we'll start to find out about some of these "other guys".  Someone in that crowd was going to get a look sooner or later.  Of course I'd rather Hughes was playing, and the Devils didn't need to go to the well this early (or at all).  

But still, Hughes - Nico - Mercer is pretty damned good young center depth to have, at the big-league level (and I'm good with McLeod as a 4C).  A team is only going to be so deep at that position...not like you can just stash top prospects in the AHL forever...if they're that good, they either skip that league altogether, or don't spend that much time there.   

We also have Gauthier who can play 4c if McLeod gets bumped to 3. Technically Sharangovich was a center but I doubt they go that route. 

I’ll assume Boqvist will get the call and be underwhelming. 

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

There is an enormous difference between a separated shoulder and a dislocated shoulder. 

A separated shoulder is a very serious injury that creates long term issues. It’s what Tarasenko had and he really hasn’t been the same. Separation causes stretches/tears in the ligament that almost always require surgery: and we all know as sports fans sometimes these soft tissue injuries are worse for the player than a broken bone. 

But that’s not what Jack has. Jack has a DISLOCATED shoulder. The bone popped out of the shoulder socket. It was popped back in. They needed tests to confirm there was no ligament damage, and now he just needs some rest, ice, and a little bit of PT and he’ll be back. Excruciatingly painful (i dislocated my shoulder playing football and my parents could hear me screaming from the bottom of the pile while they were in the stands). I missed a game and I was back, haven’t had any issues with it since. 

I’d also like to take the time to address the 3-4 people who yelled at me, PMed me and criticized me for daring to question some dude who’s “had a friend that knows it is super serious!!! broken collarbone!!! may need amputation!!!!!!!!”. It’s becoming more and more obvious that nobody had any idea what was going on that night. At best, you have a friend in some capacity in the organization who was speculating and you reported it as fact. At worst, you’re an attention seeking liar.

Reckless and stupid comments deserve to be called out. On most other forums I’m a part of, pretending like you have insider information and blindly posting blatantly incorrect rumors carries a ban. If I said “i have a friend who works with the devils who said we just traded for Johnny Gaudreau” at the trade deadline and nothing happened, I’d be banned from this place for good reason. I don’t think that bar should be lowered for posting nonsense about injuries. Speculating is fine; that’s what internet forums are for. Pretending to be an insider is absurd. 

You are an idiot. Everything I posted has checked out and is consistent with the official team release. 

You are obviously not a doctor either. 

For the rest of you:  the internal estimate is approximately four weeks (as I posted yesterday morning, after I learned it was a dislocation).

Go back and look at the end of the game thread - my post about the anticipated timetable is right there. 

Edited by smelly

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

For some context, Auston Matthews had a grade-2 dislocation and missed just shy of 5 weeks. He also didn't require surgery, but it is worth pointing out the distinction between Matthews -- who came back just as strong -- and someone like Tarasenko -- who didn't really rebound the way Matthews did. 

My best guess is 3-4 weeks, but who knows. The fact that the diagnosis didn't carry a grade distinction makes me hopeful that it was minor. 

What's your best guess on why Jack was clearly upset and punched things going down the tunnel if it's not that he knew his shoulder was fvcked?

43 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Excruciatingly painful (i dislocated my shoulder playing football and my parents could hear me screaming from the bottom of the pile while they were in the stands). I missed a game and I was back, haven’t had any issues with it since.

I once reduced my own ankle dislocation. Doctor said he has never seen anyone do that to themselves, or even attempt it without causing themselves additional problems. 

Just grabbed it and pulled it the way I thought it was supposed to go. Didn’t know if it was broken or what. Not a genius idea, but apparently, a well executed plan. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

What's your best guess on why Jack was clearly upset and punched things going down the tunnel if it's not that he knew his shoulder was fvcked?

It obviously hurt, but do I think he diagnosed what was wrong with it within 30 seconds of it happening with a high school education? No, that didn’t happen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

"I’d also like to take the time to address the 3-4 people who yelled at me, PMed me and criticized me"

"Reckless and stupid comments deserve to be called out."

You have been, and will continue to be a self-righteous, arrogant poster who is unable to control their emotions.   
The fact that "3-4" people called you out for this should be telling about your flaws here, instead, you somehow found validation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

because he was in pain? 

do you work in a hospital that uses a decibel meter for triage? because, weird, dude. 

I don't work in an hospital but I played a lot of sports with people who got injured and coached / had to take care of people who got hurt. And i personally i got injured a LOT playing hockey, soccer, skateboarding or snowboarding. And i dislocated my shoulder once too.

From personal experience when you get hurt you can usually tell pretty quickly if its something you may be able to walk off in a bit, just need a moment or if it's too fvcked and that you're done. I'm super confident that having a dislocated shoulder (knowing what it feels like) that Jack knew he was fvcked. 

And getting this upset is generally a reaction you get when you know you're out and not coming back. 

Gallagher reacted the same way when he got a shot on his crippled hand and knew he was fvcked again. We see it all the time with playing re-injuring something that kept them out for awhile.