GDT: Buffalo vs NJ

pumpkin cutter

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

He needs to up his workout video ratio. Started really late this off-season, needs to post more to catch up and he'll be in mid-season form in no time! /s

I said this many times. The problem with Subban has always been his decision making. He could bench press 800lbs 10 times in 10 seconds. Won't make him a better hockey player. I want to see him post videos of him watching tapes and trying to get smarter

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I said this many times. The problem with Subban has always been his decision making. He could bench press 800lbs 10 times in 10 seconds. Won't make him a better hockey player. I want to see him post videos of him watching tapes and trying to get smarter

Yeah the IQ just isn’t there.  Once upon a time he had enough talent to overcome it.  Not anymore.  

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah the IQ just isn’t there.  Once upon a time he had enough talent to overcome it.  Not anymore.  

Well more like there was a time he was put in a position where it wouldn't hurt the team as much. He always played with Markov and Price in MTL who covered for his mistakes a million times. And he was not playing against top competition, would be only sent off on offensive zone faceoffs, wouldnt play to protect lead, didn't play on the PK, etc etc. 

Happy to see Daws get the win.  Kid played out of his mind and should be, undisputedly, ahead of Wedgewood on the Devils goalie depth chart.  I would prefer to never see Wedgewood in a Devils jersey ever again but I would settle for him being 4th string.

Devils got better as the game went on.  On one hand, I am glad Ruff was able to identify the issues and change up the lines to spark them.  On the other hand he calls for that dumb coach's challenge that was obvious that the goalie's pad was pushed in.

Tatar and Nico were non-factors until Ruff changed up the lines which seemed to spark them.  In the meantime, Bratt was bad and Sharangovich was a no-show for the 4th straight game.  If Sharangovich is to meet the expectations of the Reddit crowd, he better start scoring a lot and in a hurry.  He's slowly turning into a Brunner/Gusev 2.0.

Severson had a strong game after an awful last game.  I am expecting him to have another completely brutal game in another 2-4 games.

I still like what I see from Mercer and Johnsson.  Johnsson is really making a statement this season.  Making nice plays with and without the puck.

• Like 1

I'm not getting too too pumped for Daws cause well we've seen this before and knowing how inconsistent goalies can be.

But it is still exciting that he at least showed he can handle the NHL level. And would be even more amazing if he could be a legit NHL goalie, he'd be a great 3rd goalie and replacement for Bernier in time

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm not getting too too pumped for Daws cause well we've seen this before and knowing how inconsistent goalies can be.

But it is still exciting that he at least showed he can handle the NHL level. And would be even more amazing if he could be a legit NHL goalie, he'd be a great 3rd goalie and replacement for Bernier in time

He’s only 20 years old, so the fact that he can even win a game in the NHL, and look pretty good doing it, is encouraging. For context, Blackwood didn’t play a single game in the NHL until he was 22. And he was considered young at the time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Will also quickly address Subban because it’s hard not to with his play. The past few years he’s started slow and then turned it on. The Devils have to pray for that so they can grab a 3rd for him at the deadline, but I’m just not seeing it happen this year. He’s the worst player on the ice for the Devils every time he’s out there. I really like the player, I really like the person, but it’s time to move on.

I have to imagine that’s in the plans for this season. I would expect that by December, we’re going to start hearing about him being on the block. The question becomes, who fills that spot? Guys like Jaros are not the answer. 

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Will also quickly address Subban because it’s hard not to with his play. The past few years he’s started slow and then turned it on. The Devils have to pray for that so they can grab a 3rd for him at the deadline, but I’m just not seeing it happen this year. He’s the worst player on the ice for the Devils every time he’s out there. I really like the player, I really like the person, but it’s time to move on.

Siegenthaler scares me more but it's close. 

I don't really care about getting an asset for Subban. I'd like to see him be good enough to help us make a playoff push in the spring. If he's not good enough to do that, then he's worthless to us and anyone else. 

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

I don’t disagree with any of what you said but Sharangovich is 23; Brunner was 27 and Gusev 28. He’s got an elite shot, good vision and hands and then not a whole lot else going for him yet, but I’m not ready to put him in that category. He’s playing with McLeod and Kuokkonen; not exactly two guys known for their play making. Jack really drives that line and i think without jack a shakeup is needed.

Im done with Bratt; though. This is a guy that jukes one guy out of his socks per game making fans go “ooooooooo” and then is totally invisible. He doesn’t deserve a single shift on the top line right now and I hope his leash is getting shorter. He’s one of those guys that you watch as a rookie and say “wow he’s got all the potential in the world” and then you watch him in his fifth (!!???) season and say “wow he’s got all the potential in the world.” 

Dawson Mercer is the real deal and should see 2nd line center minutes until Jack is back. 

We’re pretty much on the same page, re:  Bratt.  Starting to feel like he’ll never be more than a guy who keeps on teasing that he’ll be someday be more.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Anyone else see Zacha “almost” clearing the glass with the puck after being named first star?

He's only 24. He will develop into a solid puck thrower as he gets older. You need to be more patient. His advanced puck throwing numbers are next level, including expected pucks in the crowd 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He's only 24. He will develop into a solid puck thrower as he gets older. You need to be more patient. His advanced puck throwing numbers are next level, including expected pucks in the crowd 

It definitely looked like the fans expected a puck in the crowd, to no avail. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I have to imagine that’s in the plans for this season. I would expect that by December, we’re going to start hearing about him being on the block. The question becomes, who fills that spot? Guys like Jaros are not the answer. 

Sometime the best thing to do is just whip your Bahls out and see if they can get the job done. 

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We’re pretty much on the same page, re:  Bratt.  Starting to feel like he’ll never be more than a guy who keeps on teasing that he’ll be someday be more.  

I would shift Bratt for a decent return before people figure him out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Sometime the best thing to do is just whip your Bahls out and see if they can get the job done. 

I’m definitely a big advocate of this. It’s why nobody invites me to parties anymore. 

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I would shift Bratt for a decent return before people figure him out. 

He’s feeling a bit Tedenby-sequel at this point. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Correct. I was referring only to his starting out like he was going to be something and then just being a guy who is fast and accomplishes nothing. 

Bratt has almost 5 times the amount of points Tedenby had in the NHL in less than twice the games. Even if Bratt is a 35-40 point player (which I feel he can surpass even), he's miles ahead of the player Tedenby ever was. I know some are down on Bratt right now after 4 games this season, but Bratt was on pace for a 53 point full season just last year. I'd wait before throwing the towel on him. He can still be a useful player, and he just turned 23. 

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Bratt has almost 5 times the amount of points Tedenby had in the NHL in less than twice the games. Even if Bratt is a 35-40 point player (which I feel he can surpass even), he's miles ahead of the player Tedenby ever was. I know some are down on Bratt right now after 4 games this season, but Bratt was on pace for a 53 point full season last year. I'd wait before throwing the towel on him. He can still be a useful player. 

Valid points. 

• Like 1