GDT: Buffalo vs NJ

pumpkin cutter

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Bratt has almost 5 times the amount of points Tedenby had in the NHL in less than twice the games. Even if Bratt is a 35-40 point player (which I feel he can surpass even), he's miles ahead of the player Tedenby ever was. I know some are down on Bratt right now after 4 games this season, but Bratt was on pace for a 53 point full season last year. I'd wait before throwing the towel on him. He can still be a useful player. 

I think if he can play in all 82 games in any given season, you’re looking at 40-50 points.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think if he can play in all 82 games in any given season, you’re looking at 40-50 points.  

I'd go 45-55, but yeah, that's the type of guy he is. He's not a gamebreaker, but he's a good 2nd line player/PP guy who can skate well and pass the puck. He,s a good player to have. 

59 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Bratt has almost 5 times the amount of points Tedenby had in the NHL in less than twice the games. Even if Bratt is a 35-40 point player (which I feel he can surpass even), he's miles ahead of the player Tedenby ever was. I know some are down on Bratt right now after 4 games this season, but Bratt was on pace for a 53 point full season just last year. I'd wait before throwing the towel on him. He can still be a useful player, and he just turned 23. 

Yeah, Bratt just came off a season where he led the team in assists despite missing 10 games. He’s stating off really slow this year, but I’m not worried like that. He’s too skilled. 

• Like 1

I think the trouble is with Bratt you can see what he is capable of when he is on, he is excellent. You just want him to do it every night. 

I guess some of it is the role he has, he is supposed to be out first line winger. If you are getting 40-50 points off a second line winger you would be pretty happy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MB3 said:

I don’t disagree with any of what you said but Sharangovich is 23; Brunner was 27 and Gusev 28. He’s got an elite shot, good vision and hands and then not a whole lot else going for him yet, but I’m not ready to put him in that category. He’s playing with McLeod and Kuokkonen; not exactly two guys known for their play making. Jack really drives that line and i think without jack a shakeup is needed.

Im done with Bratt; though. This is a guy that jukes one guy out of his socks per game making fans go “ooooooooo” and then is totally invisible. He doesn’t deserve a single shift on the top line right now and I hope his leash is getting shorter. He’s one of those guys that you watch as a rookie and say “wow he’s got all the potential in the world” and then you watch him in his fifth (!!???) season and say “wow he’s got all the potential in the world.” 

Dawson Mercer is the real deal and should see 2nd line center minutes until Jack is back. 

True has hasn't been playing with the best linemates, but he didn't look all that great in the 4 periods Hughes was on his line either.  I am not close to writing him off, but it is concerning how invisible Sharangovich has been these four games.

Yeah I was telling my wife during the last game that Bratt is just frustrating me more and more.  He gets knocked off the puck very easily, has a powder-puff shot, and is not good without the puck.  You're 100% correct that we are pretty much seeing the same player now as we did five years ago.  He still is a steal for a 6th rounder, but he is absolutely not a top 6 winger by any means.

22 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is the first time since Bratt broke into the league where I would describe his play as just straight up bad.

You're being kind. Turnover machine! #17 Sat most of the 3rd.  Maybe Lindy thinks Bratt will get lucky?  His game is tight turns around cones. 

I've been firmly on the "Bratt is a passenger" bandwagon for a long time.  His disappearing act is stale at this point, and as others have said.. if he's not scoring, he's not adding anything.

I would take a flier on him and see what's available out there. 

26 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I've been firmly on the "Bratt is a passenger" bandwagon for a long time.  His disappearing act is stale at this point, and as others have said.. if he's not scoring, he's not adding anything.

I would take a flier on him and see what's available out there. 

I really don't know what he value would be at this point.  After five years I would think most teams have him figured out.  You would have to sell other teams on his potential even though that's his story since he broke into the league.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

Bratt is being asked to carry top line performance and he may not be that (at least not yet). I wish we had pulled a deal for Tarasenko. Looks like he’s off to a good start.

He's definitely not that on this team. He has value, but he really needs a top end offensive talent to complement him and that is something NJ doesn't really have right now. If he were paired with some of the top talent around the NHL he'd be one of those no name guys that surprise you with 60pts at the end of the year. He just doesn't have the ability to carry his weight most nights-- he's a flash in the pan here and there guy. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I really don't know what he value would be at this point.  After five years I would think most teams have him figured out.  You would have to sell other teams on his potential even though that's his story since he broke into the league.

I can't believe he's here 5 years already. 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I also really don't see Bratt as a 50ish point a season kind of guy.  I think he sticks around 30-35 most seasons.

He's also only played more than 70 games once to date.  I think if he can play 75+, he has a good shot to put up 40+ points.  But I don't really think he's going to do much better than that.  I have no doubts that he'll go on that occasional, say, 6 G and 7 A run over 15 GP or so, but then there will be stretches of near-invisibility.

The problem is we're running out of excuses as to why he isn't really evolving.  In his rookie year, when he went into that extended funk, it was "he hit the wall, he's tired" (which I can understand and that made a ton of sense at the time).  His second year, he was actually fairly consistent (but still felt like we hadn't seen the finished product).  His third and fourth years were kinda similar...some nice runs here and there, but he keeps teasing future improvement that never seems to come.

I already posted this, but his per-82 GP numbers over the past three seasons are about 16 G and 33 A.  I think this is who he is...some seasons will be less, some more...he might reach 20 G one season, but put up 13 or so the next.  I'm no longer thinking "Maybe 55-65 points one day."  I think it's 40-50, and that's if he can play in the majority of the Devils' games.  I can see him becoming what MoJo was to the Caps...a decent player who occasionally can get hot offensively, but will ultimately become expendable, as Fitz ponies up for the players that he sees being more crucial to the Devils' future.   

Bratt’s been a .55 PPG player on mostly terrible teams (outside of his rookie season). I could live with him as a 2nd line winger while the younger guys are developing, but he shouldn’t be expected to be a top line player. Ever.

Ideally he’s not even in our top 6 in a couple years if everything works out;

Mercer - Hughes - Holtz 

Zacha - Nico - Stillman 

Bratt's now in the "Show us why you should still be considered to be a possible key part of the Devils' future" camp.  He has plenty of time to recover from a slow start this season, but if he has a down year, gotta start to wonder if we've already seen his very best.

I can see Bratt getting a look on a team like Seattle or a lesser team...a team hoping that he can be a relatively cost-effective Top 6 (with cap room to overpay for him a little).   

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt’s been a .55 PPG player on mostly terrible teams (outside of his rookie season). I could live with him as a 2nd line winger while the younger guys are developing, but he shouldn’t be expected to be a top line player. Ever.

Ideally he’s not even in our top 6 in a couple years if everything works out;

Mercer - Hughes - Holtz 

Zacha - Nico - Stillman 

As a 0.55 PPG guy and a 3rd liner, I love him. 

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

As a 0.55 PPG guy and a 3rd liner, I love him. 

Gotta think his PPG takes a dip if he's on the third line...he won't get the same amount of minutes.  He'll also be skating with lesser offensive players at that point.  It's kind of the same deal as some grinder getting 35-40 points on a bad team, where he's getting top-line minutes out of sheer necessity.  

Bratt's probably a mediocre-to-bad team Top 6...or guy who fills in temporarily on a Top 2 line if someone gets hurt.

The worst thing that probably happened was him starting out with 10 points through his first 10 GP (the expectation and "hope" levels went up very quickly with him)...which turned into a still-terrific-for-a-rookie 30 points through his first 44 GP (12 G and 18 A), before he hit the wall hard.  Last year he wound up with 30 points in 46 GP...of course, included within that was one of those "Maybe Jesper's figuring it out" hot streaks (15 points in 15 GP from 3/16 through 4/11).  But it just feels like we should know what we're getting now...he hasn't shown the ability to produce more over longer samples.

But it's those damned teases that suck you in.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976