Jump to content

Mackenzie Blackwood is on his way towards being fully vaccinated.


MB3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Apparently this was reported last week and discussed on here, but I missed the discussion. I was very excited to hear that he came to that decision. Whether it was the pressure of the team, or the Olympic committee (as it seems likely Blackwood will make Team Canada), his family, friends, or whatever -- I am glad to hear it's on its way to being fixed. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah simply glad it's no longer a story...he was the last one in the entire NHL, which for all we know also could've factored into his decision to just get this done.  Hopefully he's getting over his physical issues.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah simply glad it's no longer a story...he was the last one in the entire NHL, which for all we know also could've factored into his decision to just get this done.  Hopefully he's getting over his physical issues.  

I believe Tyler Bertuzzi is still not vaccinated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I believe Tyler Bertuzzi is still not vaccinated.

Could've sworn that I read somewhere that Mac was the last one not to get it...forget where.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Brewskies said:

His chance to play in the Olympics was the turning point. I am disappointed that it was for his team. He was putting Fitz in a tough place. 

The season is only four games old and this is no longer an issue.  He'll be eligible to play in games in Canada.  His teammates and the franchise won't have to deal with questions about it.  Really could've been much worse.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The season is only four games old and this is no longer an issue.  He'll be eligible to play in games in Canada.  His teammates and the franchise won't have to deal with questions about it.  Really could've been much worse.  

He hasn't been cleared fully to play everywhere but he will be after the second shot.  If the Olympics weren't on the schedule that demanded he be fully vaccinated, what would he have done? We will never know but IMO this should not have been an issue for the team or Fitz. Blackwood should have gotten the shots before the season. Just my opinion. I hope he doesn't make the  Olympic team. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

He hasn't been cleared fully to play everywhere but he will be after the second shot.  If the Olympics weren't on the schedule that demanded he be fully vaccinated, what would he have done? We will never know but IMO this should not have been an issue for the team or Fitz. Blackwood should have gotten the shots before the season. Just my opinion. I hope he doesn't make the  Olympic team. 

I hope he does make the Olympic team, but I agree with this message. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

He hasn't been cleared fully to play everywhere but he will be after the second shot.  If the Olympics weren't on the schedule that demanded he be fully vaccinated, what would he have done? We will never know but IMO this should not have been an issue for the team or Fitz. Blackwood should have gotten the shots before the season. Just my opinion. I hope he doesn't make the  Olympic team. 

Re:  the bolded...sure, would've been great if he had, but in the grand scheme, like I said, could've been worse.  Everyone was wondering how long this was going to linger and how it might affect the team.  Turned out that it didn't linger so long.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded...sure, would've been great if he had, but in the grand scheme, like I said, could've been worse.  Everyone was wondering how long this was going to linger and how it might affect the team.  Turned out that it didn't linger so long.  

Technically he’s been unable to play anyway, so I’m not sure what the impact has been other than it annoying certain people. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Technically he’s been unable to play anyway, so I’m not sure what the impact has been other than it annoying certain people. 

Because he could’ve gotten everyone around him sick. Simplifying it by saying all he did was “annoy certain people” makes it seem like he announced he was going to wear a nose ring this season and you’re calling out the pearl clutchers. 

If I drink and drive but never hurt anyone, I’m still an a$$hole.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Because he could’ve gotten everyone around him sick. Simplifying it by saying all he did was “annoy certain people” makes it seem like he announced he was going to wear a nose ring this season and you’re calling out the pearl clutchers. 

Right, and if your aunt had balls she could have been your uncle. His decision COULD have had an impact. But it didn't, which is what I said. 

 

39 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’m still an a$$hole.

If you thought I wouldn't cut and paste this as a quote from you, I am not sure what you've been reading all of these years lol. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, and if your aunt had balls she could have been your uncle. His decision COULD have had an impact. But it didn't, which is what I said. 

Oh come on, you have to be saying this for the sake of creating an argument. Just because nobody got sick doesn't mean what he did was okay. Same analogy: driving drunk isn't okay if you get home safe: you're still an a$$hole.

I'm glad he concluded his research into the subject, and I hope he publishes his papers. I'm sure it's filled with riveting, groundbreaking information and definitely not screenshots of facebook posts. 

Edited by MB3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Oh come on, you have to be saying this for the sake of creating an argument. Just because nobody got sick doesn't mean what he did was okay. Same analogy: driving drunk isn't okay if you get home safe: you're still an a$$hole.

I'm glad he concluded his research into the subject, and I hope he publishes his papers. I'm sure it's filled with riveting, groundbreaking information and definitely not screenshots of facebook posts. 

I didn't say anything about whether it was ok or it wasn't, or if he was an a$$hole or not. I said it had no impact. It didn't. 

So who is trying to create an argument?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

Because he could’ve gotten everyone around him sick. Simplifying it by saying all he did was “annoy certain people” makes it seem like he announced he was going to wear a nose ring this season and you’re calling out the pearl clutchers. 

If I drink and drive but never hurt anyone, I’m still an a$$hole.

The problem here is that you guys are completely misrepresenting Blackwood's position / situation in this, framing it like he was just unvaxed and basically a walking plague that WILL get everyone sick around him. Completely ignoring that Blackwood had covid and got a level of immunity that is very much still studied and discussed in the medical field at the moment. The latest updated studies and reports from the ONS in the UK claims that 2 vaccine doses give a similar protection as previous infection. Thats during delta variant times. The ONS is reporting that 2 doses of pfizer is reducing the risk of testing positive by 73% and Astrazeneca by 62%. 75% after the first dose and 58% after the second shot for Pfizer. While other studies gives both pfizer and astra a slightly higher % and give natural infection 65% against catching it against, which is pretty much on part with some double vaxxed people. And the jury is still out as to which form of protection can last longer as we're seeing more and more breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated people suggesting the vaccine is losing some efficacy after a few months. All of that to say they are STILL looking into all that and figuring sh!t out. It's still recommended to take the vaccine even if you had it cause you're never too safe. And all this is not my opinion, these are actual numbers from published studies. Where i live we just got back in full lockdown even if 90% of the province is vaxxed and i can't even hangout with my fully vaxxed friends, and the other day out of like 80 new cases, 50% of them were fully vaxxed and we're seeing more and more breakthrough cases, so what's going on? So we are still learning and trying to adjust to all that sh!t. So eventhough im fully vaxxed i wouldnt sh!t on guys like Blackwood who may have the same damn protection as i do right now when its all said and done

So Blackwood was never as selfish as you guys made him to be. And was never any equivalent to a drunk driver, its more like he had 1-2 beers and guys are acting like he drank 24 beers and had s hots in the last hours and drove. Context matter.

 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

The problem here is that you guys are completely misrepresenting Blackwood's position / situation in this, framing it like he was just unvaxed and basically a walking plague that WILL get everyone sick around him. Completely ignoring that Blackwood had covid and got a level of immunity that is very much still studied and discussed in the medical field at the moment. The latest updated studies and reports from the ONS in the UK claims that 2 vaccine doses give a similar protection as previous infection. Thats during delta variant times. The ONS is reporting that 2 doses of pfizer is reducing the risk of testing positive by 73% and Astrazeneca by 62%. 75% after the first dose and 58% after the second shot for Pfizer. While other studies gives both pfizer and astra a slightly higher % and give natural infection 65% against catching it against, which is pretty much on part with some double vaxxed people. And the jury is still out as to which form of protection can last longer as we're seeing more and more breakthrough cases in fully vaccinated people suggesting the vaccine is losing some efficacy after a few months. All of that to say they are STILL looking into all that and figuring sh!t out. It's still recommended to take the vaccine even if you had it cause you're never too safe. And all this is not my opinion, these are actual numbers from published studies. Where i live we just got back in full lockdown even if 90% of the province is vaxxed and i can't even hangout with my fully vaxxed friends, and the other day out of like 80 new cases, 50% of them were fully vaxxed and we're seeing more and more breakthrough cases, so what's going on? So we are still learning and trying to adjust to all that sh!t. So eventhough im fully vaxxed i wouldnt sh!t on guys like Blackwood who may have the same damn protection as i do right now when its all said and done

So Blackwood was never as selfish as you guys made him to be. And was never any equivalent to a drunk driver, its more like he had 1-2 beers and guys are acting like he drank 24 beers and had s hots in the last hours and drove. Context matter.

 

Ugh I want to avoid this because it's what I have to deal with at work, but I feel it's important to say that there are studies in the British Medical Journal that show that whilst having the virus previously offers the individual protection at the same level as the vaccine as you said, their increased viral load means they are more likey to pass the virus on long term.

So as you said context is important. In this case you are taking care of the individual, but not the community. 

Also research published in the BMJ and from Israel shows that those who have previously been infected and then have the vaccine have an even greater level of protection (hybrid immunity) especially if they are young. So Mac should be even less at risk after he is vaccinated. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  the bolded...sure, would've been great if he had, but in the grand scheme, as I said, it could've been worse.  Everyone was wondering how long this was going to linger and how it might affect the team.  It turned out that it didn't stay so long.  

I understand what you are saying, "it worked out, OK." Please accept my point, "it never should have been a problem in the first place. He was the starting goalie of a team consisting of 22 other players. He should have gotten the shot for that reason." If taking a shot was a big problem for him, he could have quit because, without the vaccination he would hurt the team and put added stress on Fitz as Fitz would have to manage the payroll deduct and any fines associated with his action. He was selfish, but it worked out without any of these problems because he wanted to be the goalie of the Olympic team, and that required the vaccination in full. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Ugh I want to avoid this because it's what I have to deal with at work, but I feel it's important to say that there are studies in the British Medical Journal that show that whilst having the virus previously offers the individual protection at the same level as the vaccine as you said, their increased viral load means they are more likey to pass the virus on long term.

So as you said context is important. In this case you are taking care of the individual, but not the community. 

Also research published in the BMJ and from Israel shows that those who have previously been infected and then have the vaccine have an even greater level of protection (hybrid immunity) especially if they are young. So Mac should be even less at risk after he is vaccinated. 

Absolutely, i agree and did say that even if you have natural immunity that you should still get the shots. My point was not trying to say that vaccines are not effective or anything either. Just that Blackwood was not a walking plague like he was made out to be and it's not like when he goes to "work" that he's surrounded by old people at risk. He's surrounded by vaxed people in their prime health wise so again, it would be safer to just get it obviously, but all the hate he got is ridiculous. If you're hesitant on the vaccines, side effects or wtv and that you already got covid and have that immunity, it gives you a leash and i can understand and fully support how some people would want to wait as much as you possibly can and do as much research as you possibly can.  There's a LOT of researches out there right now with conflicting data and that it's very much still in development, we're still learning. And also sadly most people have their minds made up from the start and even studies won't change their minds if it goes against what they want to believe really. 

 

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Absolutely, i agree and did say that even if you have natural immunity that you should still get the shots. My point was not trying to say that vaccines are not effective or anything either. Just that Blackwood was not a walking plague like he was made out to be and it's not like when he goes to "work" that he's surrounded by old people at risk. He's surrounded by vaxed people in their prime health wise so again, it would be safer to just get it obviously, but all the hate he got is ridiculous. If you're hesitant on the vaccines, side effects or wtv and that you already got covid and have that immunity, it gives you a leash and i can understand and fully support how some people would want to wait as much as you possibly can and do as much research as you possibly can.  There's a LOT of researches out there right now with conflicting data and that it's very much still in development, we're still learning. And also sadly most people have their minds made up from the start and even studies won't change their minds if it goes against what they want to believe really. 

 

I think the thing that people and possibly his teammates are annoyed about is that other people doing what was asked of them had given Blackwood the luxury of taking his time. But anyway we are where we are and soon this will hopefully be forgotten. 

On the bolded part can you give me some examples? I have seen disagreement over government and administrations approach to things like vaccine rollout for kids and boosters and mask mandates, but research on the efficacy of the vaccine seems to be universally consistent. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I think the thing that people and possibly his teammates are annoyed about is that other people doing what was asked of them had given Blackwood the luxury of taking his time. But anyway we are where we are and soon this will hopefully be forgotten. 

On the bolded part can you give me some examples? I have seen disagreement over government and administrations approach to things like vaccine rollout for kids and boosters and mask mandates, but research on the efficacy of the vaccine seems to be universally consistent. 

you mean you aren’t just taking his word for it that “all of the researches” are conflicting?!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.