Mackenzie Blackwood is on his way towards being fully vaccinated.

MB3

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Don't they carry three goalies, though?  I think there's more than a remote chance he makes the roster.

Price - who knows.  A lock if healthy of course.

MAF - yikes, not so far.  Then again he's not really the problem on the Hawks but still.

Binnington - Probably a lock.

Kuemper - Will he stay healthy?

Hart - no way in hell

I could totally see Blackwood getting in if Price doesn't go, Hart continues to look like trash, and one of the other options doesn't stay healthy.  You never know.

Hart may get more attention than we think. .914 save percentage is a little on the low side, but for some reason everyone thinks he is some kind of rising star. 

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Don't they carry three goalies, though?  I think there's more than a remote chance he makes the roster.

Price - who knows.  A lock if healthy of course.

MAF - yikes, not so far.  Then again he's not really the problem on the Hawks but still.

Binnington - Probably a lock.

Kuemper - Will he stay healthy?

Hart - no way in hell

I could totally see Blackwood getting in if Price doesn't go, Hart continues to look like trash, and one of the other options doesn't stay healthy.  You never know.

That’s all well and good but if you were ranking these guys’ resumes right now Blackwood would be no higher than fifth at best (and more likely 6th) presuming Hart isn’t as massively overrated as he was two years ago. So basically at least two guys need to say no/be injured AND Blackwood has to actually play well enough to merit inclusion just to tag along as the third guy over Hart, which isn’t exactly a sure thing.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That’s all well and good but if you were ranking these guys’ resumes right now Blackwood would be no higher than fifth at best (and more likely 6th) presuming Hart isn’t as massively overrated as he was two years ago. So basically at least two guys need to say no/be injured AND Blackwood has to actually play well enough to merit inclusion just to tag along as the third guy over Hart, which isn’t exactly a sure thing.

Yeah I think that's a big part here that is being assumed - Blackwood has to actually play like he belongs on that team.

22 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Who do you have over him? Carey Price is in rehab, it seems unlikely at best that he'll go. 

1. Binnington
  2. MAF
  3. Blackwood
  4. Kuemper
  5. Hart

Not sure how you could put him 6th? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Who do you have over him? Carey Price is in rehab, it seems unlikely at best that he'll go. 

1. Binnington
  2. MAF
  3. Blackwood
  4. Kuemper
  5. Hart

Not sure how you could put him 6th? 

Yeah I mean assuming Blackwood looks somewhat close to his peak at some point before the selections are finalized this has to be the order.

13 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Hey guys, what'd I miss?

I would think that either Hart or Blackwood would have to "play themselves out" to not be the 3rd goalie. As i think team Canada will want to give experience (at least attending and being part of the team to their future in net)

Kuemper is 31, Price is 34 and Fleury is 36. It's very likely their last shot at this. Price would be going in on reputation alone but he's been pretty damn average at best over the last 4 years. Fleury has some up and down but he's been a bit more consistent than Price. Kuemper i'm not even sure about him.

Binnington is 28, Blackwood is 24 and Hart is 23. Are very likely the future of team canada. I assume Binnington is at the top of those 3 right now. But if Blackwood play well and that 2 of the seniors (sh!t the bed) we could even see 2 of them make it.

5 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

I am on vacation, with poor signal. I logged in to say cut it out. If I have to start banning people I might slip and make them long bans

Sorry. 

I wasn't looking to creat any conflict. I genuinely was looking to see if there was something I hadn't seen. It was an honest question, and more in line with finding something that may support my current line of work. 

I won't say anything more on it and I could probably do with a break. 

I think Price is a lock as long as he’s back by then. Even with a bad season, I think his playoff performance last year is going to carry a lot of weight. Fleury’s reputation might also carry him onto the team even with subpar play so far. The 3rd goalie could end up being very important if Price and Fleury are 1 and 2 and don’t play well early. 

Has there been any word on team USA? I assume Hellebuyck is the number one and then Gibson 

8 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah I mean assuming Blackwood looks somewhat close to his peak at some point before the selections are finalized this has to be the order.

How you guys can put Blackwood over Kuemper barring homerism is beyond me.  Kuemper was meh last year but still better than Blackwood, whatever you want to attribute his poor season to and still has had a solid enough career to get a contract to be a starter for one of the best teams in the league this offseason.

As far as Hart, he had a dreadful season last year but Blackwood wasn't much better and Hart was pretty darn good two years ago.  If he gets back to that level he's clearly over Blackwood, if he doesn't Blackwood can pass him assuming he doesn't short-circuit again.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I’m a big Blackwood fan and I think I would put him 5th on that list, with only Carter Hart behind him. But Hart seems to be regarded higher by a lot of people so I can see Blackwood being 6th. 

On 10/27/2021 at 12:16 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

It would be hilarious if that’s what finally did it because he has next to no chance of even making the team let alone playing. It’s more likely the test scare late in the preseason led Fitz and his teammates to get the cattle prod out and say bro, enough is enough here cause that was when he made his ‘unfortunately, yes’ statement, not after the Olympic list came out.

I am not going to debate this with you. All the reports spoke to what I posted. Later

On 10/27/2021 at 9:28 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

How you guys can put Blackwood over Kuemper barring homerism is beyond me.  Kuemper was meh last year but still better than Blackwood, whatever you want to attribute his poor season to and still has had a solid enough career to get a contract to be a starter for one of the best teams in the league this offseason.

As far as Hart, he had a dreadful season last year but Blackwood wasn't much better and Hart was pretty darn good two years ago.  If he gets back to that level he's clearly over Blackwood, if he doesn't Blackwood can pass him assuming he doesn't short-circuit again.

Who cares where Kuemper signed? He was the Avs second choice after Grubauer wanted too much money. He’s a fine goalie, nothing else. 

Blackwood wasn’t much better than Hart? 30 points better with save percentage and .5GA/G less isn’t much of a difference? 

Carter Hart has had an entire career playing behind some legitimately stellar defenses, while Blackwood has been playing behind guys like Joshua Jacobs and Dakota Mermis. It’s not even close between the two of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

Carter Hart has had an entire career playing behind some legitimately stellar defenses, while Blackwood has been playing behind guys like Joshua Jacobs and Dakota Mermis. It’s not even close between the two of them.

You aren’t wrong, but for some reason, that’s not the perception among some.