2021 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Figure we might as well start this off.

Starting to look like, well, no one wants to come work for Steve Cohen.  Not good.  

I think anyone who actually becomes available to interview is the automatic "favorite" to land the POBO job heh heh.

Whoever they hire, this will be a serious crossroads for the Cohen Mets...fair or unfair, it's pretty clear that he has a rep as a guy no one wants to work for.  That's something he has to undo, big time.  

• Like 1

All kidding aside, he should probably just stay completely off Twitter.  I think he meant well (hey, I'm a gazillionaire, but at heart I'm one of YOU, I bleed orange and blue!), but I think the further into the background he recedes, the better off the Mets will be.

I think we all made the mistake of thinking that Steve had so much money to spend on players that things were going to get a lot better, and quickly.  Unfortunately money can't buy improved rep points.  I still think Major Mistake #1 was bringing Sandy back into the fold.  And it's not helping that he's allowing Sandy to stay around and be a part of this process.  I've gotta think that part of the deal for ANYONE willing to take the job is that it's made clear that Sandy is 100% NOT involved in any baseball decision-making.  

Another one bites the dust

Rightly or wrongly, the more people that ostensibly turn us down (word is the Brewers weren’t even going to let him interview anyway, partly cause Stearns is only signed through next year) the perception is now out there this is a toxic job the longer the Mets keep swinging and missing 

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Another one bites the dust

Rightly or wrongly, the more people that ostensibly turn us down (word is the Brewers weren’t even going to let him interview anyway, partly cause Stearns is only signed through next year) the perception is now out there this is a toxic job the longer the Mets keep swinging and missing 

Yeah unfortunately it's becoming a perpetual joke now that has no end in sight.  It doesn't help that two of the parties (the Mets themselves, and Rip Van Sandy) make for very easy fodder.  If the Mets had turned in a 90-win or so season, maybe the stench that seems to forever linger around them wouldn't be so strong.  The franchise needs a serious image rehab...starting with the owner.  You'd think the Mets supported pedophilia, the way they're being shunned.  

Yeah not much of a shock.  But who the hell knows what’s coming next.

LOL and the Braves win the World Series without Acuna or Soroka, beating the Brewers, Dodgers and Astros and completing our nightmare 2021 with probably no baseball on the docket for at least the first part of 2022.  It does kind of have a 2004-like feeling in the NHL pre-lockout now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Have to say didn't watch a second of the playoffs or the World Series. It feels like the Marlins, Phillies, and Nats have long since passed Atlanta as hated rivals (Marlins sort of for 07/08 and just being this awful thorn in our sides) To me, and maybe this is not the consensus among Mets fans and Has/CR here...Atlanta kind of feels like they did 1993 and before. Like another team.

• Like 1

Yeah I can’t say I have any great hatred for the Braves these days…if anything, I almost want to say to Cohen, “Instead of worrying about trying to be the Dodgers, maybe you should try to be the Braves.”  Seriously, when they’re down, they have a way of not staying down for too long.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Have to say didn't watch a second of the playoffs or the World Series. It feels like the Marlins, Phillies, and Nats have long since passed Atlanta as hated rivals (Marlins sort of for 07/08 and just being this awful thorn in our sides) To me, and maybe this is not the consensus among Mets fans and Has/CR here...Atlanta kind of feels like they did 1993 and before. Like another team.

It’s more envy than actual hatred. Especially after the continental divide of the season, that five game series before the deadline that shifted the tenor of the year dramatically. All we heard about after was waah Jake is out, Lindor was on the shelf, the Braves had no Acuna or Soroka!

Don’t get me wrong, a large part of me is glad the Braves won just to serve as a further cattle prod up Met management’s fanny (what management we actually have anyway). But it still has a Giants/Pats kind of phyrric feel to it too where it was the lesser of two evils.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Do we really think there’s any waking Sandy up?  The next time he approaches the state of the Mets with anything resembling urgency will be the first time.  

The media seems to love reporting on every single person who has turned down the Mets request to interview. Thing is we don't know if this is a standard things or when perhaps less prominent franchises search for GM's...maybe this thing happens all the time and it just never gets reported who turns down opportunities to become the GM of the Pirates or Reds.

• Like 1

While you might be right somehow I think most of the under-40 analytics wonks just shy away from NY in general.  You work in a small market, you can just do your thing. A big market and the light is on you.

Add in the Alderson factor (even if the media can’t wait to carry water to say it has nothing to do with Sandy), plus the Cohen wild card and it doesn’t shock me people are wussing out. It shocks me the sheer NUMBER of people doing it though. It’s one thing to have teams deny permission or turn down a lateral move but when other people who can be talked to turn down promotions and say no thanks, I’m good, makes you scratch your head and wonder WTF is going on.

Edited by NJDevs4978

People have decided they want no part of Sandy and Steve.  I have no idea how this ever gets fixed.  Gotta wonder what is being said behind the scenes for it to have reached this level.  It’s starting to feel like people would’ve been more open to working for the Wilpons, which is un-fvcking-believable.  

• Shocking 1

Seriously, think about it…the guy from Tampa Bay (forget his name) and Doug Melvin interviewed at the same time that friggin’ BVW did.  They were actually willing to take a job here.  But now this job opportunity has become completely untouchable?

The guess here is that many feel that Sandy (especially with his son in the picture) is going to have too much power and say in what’s going on…and is seen as being too old and out of touch to still have that kind of power.  And I get the feeling that Cohen is seen as a flat-out bad guy.  

On 11/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

People have decided they want no part of Sandy and Steve.  I have no idea how this ever gets fixed.  Gotta wonder what is being said behind the scenes for it to have reached this level.  It’s starting to feel like people would’ve been more open to working for the Wilpons, which is un-fvcking-believable.  

Maybe the Devil you know vs the Devil you don't. The Wilpons were awful, but in a doddering dunce kind of way awful. I'm not sure what's being said about Cohen behind the scenes, but it is possible that he's a nightmare in his own way and in a way that makes working for him less tolerable than working for the Wilpons. Because finding guys was a heck of a lot more easier with Fred and Jeff around. And Jeff was the scumbag to end all scumbags (we thought)

LOL so no POBO - again.  Either this is a you can’t refuse the job when we aren’t offering it to begin with meme or this actually was the plan all along…sigh 

And Sandy’s quote about people not wanting to come here because NY is anti tanking is laughable. What the hell was 2011-2014 when Colin Cowgill was what qualified as a key signing?

Edited by NJDevs4978

You know how I feel about this...Sandy is as big of a problem as any other.  I think the general feeling is that he's old, a bit out of touch, and having too much say under Cohen.  

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL now we can get turned down by a lawyer out of the game for almost five years.

How much longer before they give Brodie a call?  

• Haha 1