Jump to content

2021 New York Mets Offseason Thread


Colorado Rockies 1976
 Share

Recommended Posts

And just like that...a bolt out of the blue, the lockout is over and we will have baseball in 2022!

canceling the season (or missing significant time) would've been catastrophic for the sport especially where it stands within the fabric of America. 

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not gonna lie...I'm kind of indifferent at the moment.

Great, they're playing again, but the actual on-field product is in bad shape and borderline unwatchable.  There were 2661 more Ks than hits last year (10 years ago there were 7779 more HITS than Ks).

Figure out how to fix this fvcking game please.  Because I LOVED baseball in my teens, 20s, 30s and even my 40s.  It's lost a ton over the last decade...and I don't know how they make it compelling again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm shocked they managed to get their heads out of their asses long enough to actually come to an agreement.  Not exactly stoked the Mets were among the most militant of the anti-CBA people but it'll all be forgotten I suppose if they win, just like it was with Tom Glavine after he was a union heavy during the '94 strike and won the WS the next year.

At this point I'm just glad there's apparently no draft pick penalty for going over the CBT threshold, which was an early shot across the bow at Cohen.  Funny how everyone's worried about HIM spending and watch the Dodgers buy up even more FA's than we do lol

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I'm shocked they managed to get their heads out of their asses long enough to actually come to an agreement.  Not exactly stoked the Mets were among the most militant of the anti-CBA people but it'll all be forgotten I suppose if they win, just like it was with Tom Glavine after he was a union heavy during the '94 strike and won the WS the next year.

At this point I'm just glad there's apparently no draft pick penalty for going over the CBT threshold, which was an early shot across the bow at Cohen.  Funny how everyone's worried about HIM spending and watch the Dodgers buy up even more FA's than we do lol

Cohen is not liked among his peers...to an extent he's probably seen as "new money", as far as MLB goes.  So be it.  fvck 'em.  Some of the small-market owners who take their revenue-sharing money and shove right into their pockets should be happy...Cohen will help them all in that regard.

For me now, it's about how does MLB fix their damn game.  We knew that a CBA was going to get hammered out eventually...baseball wasn't ever going to die on that hill.  Now it's how do you make this a sport that's entertaining to watch?  Because a game where you're more likely to watch someone whiff than get a hit is far from entertaining.      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cohen is not liked among his peers...to an extent he's probably seen as "new money", as far as MLB goes.  So be it.  fvck 'em.  Some of the small-market owners who take their revenue-sharing money and shove right into their pockets should be happy...Cohen will help them all in that regard.

For me now, it's about how does MLB fix their damn game.  We knew that a CBA was going to get hammered out eventually...baseball wasn't ever going to die on that hill.  Now it's how do you make this a sport that's entertaining to watch?  Because a game where you're more likely to watch someone whiff than get a hit is far from entertaining.      

 

Yes. Great way to put it. New money and causing too much of a ruckus among that exclusive club that they have. Plus he's new competition and they know he actually cares about winning unlike Wilpon who they all knew was a weakling running a clownshow with his scuzzy son. But to them at least the Wilpons were predictable in their incompetence. Cohen is still a wild card

I feel they'll probably make sure the ball is nice and juiced this year once again, and instead of promoting the nuance and game within a game aspect of baseball...they'll continue to try to make it a 15-12 home run heavy mash fest. Base stealing, hit and run, good defensive...good fundamentals, situational hitting and awareness, that's all dying. They want guys hitting 600 foot home runs and posing like Hulk Hogan circa 1985

They're after the millennials, and they have to get down on their level to sell this game. 

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yes. Great way to put it. New money and causing too much of a ruckus among that exclusive club that they have. Plus he's new competition and they know he actually cares about winning unlike Wilpon who they all knew was a weakling running a clownshow with his scuzzy son. But to them at least the Wilpons were predictable in their incompetence. Cohen is still a wild card

I feel they'll probably make sure the ball is nice and juiced this year once again, and instead of promoting the nuance and game within a game aspect of baseball...they'll continue to try to make it a 15-12 home run heavy mash fest. Base stealing, hit and run, good defensive...good fundamentals, situational hitting and awareness, that's all dying. They want guys hitting 600 foot home runs and posing like Hulk Hogan circa 1985

They're after the millennials, and they have to get down on their level to sell this game. 

It's a real problem '7'.  So much of the fun in watching baseball was in the little things...the strategies, the PLAYER attention to details (changing it up on 0-2 counts, trying to put the ball in play, etc)...a fast runner on first distracting a pitcher, etc...finding a way to manufacture a run.  So much of that is diminished or flat-out non-existent now.  

I used to be so on board with some team bucking trends and building a killer small-ball team w/killer D at as many positions as possible...and I still am, but the problem is how many legit small-ball players are even out there?  It seems like guys are told that they'd better be able to go yard or they're worthless.  Just like they'd all better be able to throw 102 mph or what good are they?  Because that worked out so well for Noah Syndergaard.  Jake throws hard, but Jake can PITCH.  Where are the real pitchers?  Thinkers?  Guys like Keith who were so hellbent on details and KNOWING?  A once-brainy sport has been lobotomized, and that's rather ironic because it's friggin' analytics that helped get baseball here in the first place. 

It wasn't so long ago that in spring training, when Harvey was coming back from TJS, that I was posting about every one of his outings, so excited to see what he could do.  And completely zoned in on who was doing what.  I couldn't care less about spring training at the moment, and that's insane, because this Mets team has a chance to do something, backed by an owner who obviously has the money to spend and will willingly spend it and couldn't give the slightest of fvcks about who might whine about it...come right down to it, as Mets fans, this is what we've always wanted.

But something just feels off about baseball...something's missing.  It feels like the game has no soul anymore...there's no "there" there.  Maybe once they start playing, I'll start to feel it again.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to mention the inevitable nibbling that comes with pitchers being afraid to throw strikes…more pitches, more walks, and…of course…more time per game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, '7' said:

The Mets have traded for Chris Bassit (Former A) Adam Oiler and JT Ginn to Oakland

A’s fans have nothing but good things to say about him.

Most definitely not an innings-eater and last season may have been a career year.  Also 33 years old.  But certainly not a bad back-of-the-rotation guy at all.  He makes the Mets a better team, which is all we’re looking for.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ottavino signed to one year $4 million.  He’s been kinda meh overall the past two seasons.  Feels like a roll-the-dice-and-hope-for-the-best move.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2022 at 11:19 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A’s fans have nothing but good things to say about him.

Most definitely not an innings-eater and last season may have been a career year.  Also 33 years old.  But certainly not a bad back-of-the-rotation guy at all.  He makes the Mets a better team, which is all we’re looking for.  

I had no idea he was even an All Star recently or that he was as good as he was. The A's to me (as well as they do staying relevant despite huge financial shortcomings) can sometimes be a bit out of sight/out of mind. He's definitely a late bloomer (heck he didn't even thrown an MLB pitch until he was 25) but the real turning point was TJS...since coming back from it in 2018 he's been a terrific starter, and the perfect #3 guy for us. Those stretches when deGrom-Scherzer-Bassitt are firing on all cylinders, the Mets are going frustrate the hell out of a lot of offenses. You catch the Mets at the wrong time and teams will feel like they're already swept before taking the field having to go through that buzzsaw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

I had no idea he was even an All Star recently or that he was as good as he was. The A's to me (as well as they do staying relevant despite huge financial shortcomings) can sometimes be a bit out of sight/out of mind. He's definitely a late bloomer (heck he didn't even thrown an MLB pitch until he was 25) but the real turning point was TJS...since coming back from it in 2018 he's been a terrific starter, and the perfect #3 guy for us. Those stretches when deGrom-Scherzer-Bassitt are firing on all cylinders, the Mets are going frustrate the hell out of a lot of offenses. You catch the Mets at the wrong time and teams will feel like they're already swept before taking the field having to go through that buzzsaw

He took a 100-mph ball to the face last season (a screamer back up the middle)...kept him out of action for about a month...he made a couple of brief starts to close out his season (one was 3 IP, the next was 3.1 IP).  Prior to that injury, he was averaging 6.25 IP per start...these days that's not too bad.  It was definitely a deal worth making.  The big question will be can the "Big 3" stay healthy?  None are young.  

Bassitt might be a rental...he's a free agent after this season.  

I'd be nervous about Walker being in the rotation, even as the 5th guy.  He gave up 20 HR over his last 64.1 IP (?!) and had a 7.13 ERA over his last 13 starts.  I can handle a guy who has a mid-high 4s ERA in the back of the rotation...if he's giving you 5-7 innings of 3-4 run ball, chances are he's at least keeping you in the game.  Doesn't feel like Walker will be doing that.  Carrasco is a serious question mark too.  The Mets do have depth beyond their #1-3 guys, but none of them are sure things.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ve all forgotten about Carrasco cause the guy basically didn’t pitch last year and then was terrible when he came back, but who knows - maybe you actually get a decent season out of him

Phillies sign both Familia and Brad Hand on one year deals, man how bad was your pen when you’re signing OUR back end guys as an improvement?

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sad thing is based on his last couple of seasons, Ottavino might be an even worse version of Familia.  Had a WHIP approaching 1.5 and averaged almost 5 BB per 9 IP over that time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah everyone's incredibly lucky.  And in a way it's actually quite shocking that more professional athletes aren't killed in automobile accidents...safe to say there's gotta be a fair number of them enjoying top-notch performance cars to the absolute hilt (they have access to the kinds of vehicles most people can only dream about owning), some of them driving while intoxicated, etc.

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-unvaccinated-mlb-new-york-home-games-20220315-xs2exzidsjda7ptjpk5dywpori-story.html
 

Bear in mind the Mets were one of the teams that never reached the 85% plateau last year to lift protocols. It’s gonna look silly if this is the Kyrie mandate where opposition players can play (on an outdoor field mind you) but home players cannot. 

If you're going to not allow home players to play then you shouldn't be allowing anyone to play.  I think it's stupid to stay with the mandate at this point but if you're going to have one, apply it consistently.  

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is really fvcking stupid.  That is all.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mets have signed Travis Jankowski to a minor league deal. 30 years old, always had excellent speed and will draw some walks here and there, but not much of a hitter. Can also play all 3 outfield positions so I have a feeling we'll be seeing him at the major league level this year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, '7' said:

Mets have signed Travis Jankowski to a minor league deal. 30 years old, always had excellent speed and will draw some walks here and there, but not much of a hitter. Can also play all 3 outfield positions so I have a feeling we'll be seeing him at the major league level this year

Had a .364 OB% last season...not his norm, but that's something.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mets also signed lefty reliever Chasen Shreve. He was with the Pirates last year. Threw 56.1 innings and had a 3.20 era. 45 k's. Lefties hit .200 off of him and righties .221

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mets also signed lefty reliever Chasen Shreve. He was with the Pirates last year. Threw 56.1 innings and had a 3.20 era. 45 k's. Lefties hit .200 off of him and righties .221

He was with the Mets in 2020…totally don’t remember him.  Doesn’t give up a ton of hits but doesn’t have great control…he walks about 4.5 per 9 IP.  I would‘ve rather the Mets just kept Loup, but Shreve’s decent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah not sure why all of a sudden the Mets are shopping in the “maybe” isle for bullpen help.  Two guys who walk a lot of hitters?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.