GDT: Columbus @ Devils 5:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

10 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

What is this schedule. We don’t play until Friday 1030pm .. 🥱

We play Tuesday. 

22 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Late afternoon games suck. It's only 7:40 and I'm already really buzzed, dressed as Joaquin Phoenix Joker, and handing out candy

I mean that sounds like a perfect afternoon, not a bad one…

50 minutes ago, MB3 said:

if anyone else tells me nico is “close!!!” and “getting his chances!!!” i’m going to hit them in the mouth. 

the difference between burying those chances and always being the “muh snakebitten!!!!!!” guy is the difference between an actual top-line center and whatever the fvck Nico is. 

Every time I said something like this about Jack last year, I got yelled at lol. 

And, Nico isn’t a top line center on most teams. #2 at best if your team is well built. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

I’m starting to wonder if giving Nico the captaincy at such a young age was a mistake. And I was all for it at the time. Idk if he’s just trying to do too much, or isn’t 100% healthy or what. But I’ve never seen him this ineffective. 

We’re going to have to issue an amber alert at this rate. 

47 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah Ty Smith has been bad this year but he's still a young player in his 2nd season. Still giving him a bit of a pass on some bad decisions.

Coming off injury too…he doesn’t even have a full NHL season’s worth of games under his belt yet.  Yeah not going to beat him up too much at this point.

59 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Whose idea was it to bring Wedgewood back?

What kind of goalie do you think you’re going to sign who can basically deal with possibly playing the entire season in the AHL, provided the guys on the big club can manage to avoid injury?  You’re getting a guy like Wedge.  Someone better is going to have better options (legit shot to compete for a backup spot at the NHL level).  Wedge is only up here because a lot of sh!t went wrong.  Yes, it would be nice to have someone more reliable, talented, whatever, but if the Devils had that guy in their system already, they’re not signing Crawford last year and they’re not signing Bernier this year.  “Break glass in case of emergency” guys are often going to be wild cards.  The idea was that Wedge was never going to be asked to appear in this many games this early.  It is what it is.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Nico obviously has so much time but I think it's clear he's not a game-changer. At least not at this point, and he doesn't seem to be truly exceptional in any particular area. Still an effective player and I'm obviously a huge fan, not trying to completely sh!t on him.

Not going to call him a bust or underachiever, but it is becoming apparent he's probably going to end up one of the worst 1OA picks since Yakupov at this rate.

Edited by Devilsfan118

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Coming off injury too…he doesn’t even have a full NHL season’s worth of games under his belt yet.  Yeah not going to beat him up too much at this point.

Yeah, totally.

Not like he's a 13 years NHL veteran dman getting paid 9m making the same exact mistakes constantly or something.....

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m starting to wonder if giving Nico the captaincy at such a young age was a mistake. And I was all for it at the time. Idk if he’s just trying to do too much, or isn’t 100% healthy or what. But I’ve never seen him this ineffective. 

We’re going to have to issue an amber alert at this rate. 

Really, captaincy can be a huge burden even on veterans. Remember how it affected Elias' play?

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Nico obviously has so much time but I think it's clear he's not a game-changer. At least not at this point, and he doesn't seem to be truly exceptional in any particular area. Still an effective player and I'm obviously a huge fan, not trying to completely sh!t on him.

Not going to call him a bust or underachiever, but it is becoming apparent he's probably going to end up one of the worst 1OA picks since Yakupov at this rate.

It’s kind of silly to even mention Nico in the same sentence as Yakupov. That guy was out of the league within 6 years. Nico might never be a star , but he’s likely going to have a long NHL career. 

Is he more Ryan Nugent Hopkins than Matthews or McDavid? Absolutely. 

I think we do have a legit superstar with our other #1 pick though, so if Nico can just be a good 2C that’s ok. 

4 minutes ago, point said:

Really, captaincy can be a huge burden even on veterans. Remember how it affected Elias' play?

That’s exactly who I was thinking about…

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Nico played all of like 5 games last season. Several guys not going yet and you are on the case of the guy that is coming off a broken leg and a broken face.

Im infinitely more worried that this team can't freaking hold leads.  

The defense is still really bad. Graves hasn’t been as good as I had hoped for, Severson has been his normal up and down self, PK and Ty have been awful. Siegenthaler is barely worth mentioning.

Its pretty much Hamilton and not much else right now. 

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

you said it about a kid with like 70 NHL games under his belt on a rookie contract. There’s different expectations for your $7m entering his prime team captain

People have a lot of expectations of the kind of player Nico is “supposed” to be and they are going to be sorely disappointed.