GDT: Devils @ Ducks 10:00 PM ESPN+, HULU

eaglejelly

I stayed up and watched most of the game last night.  Wish I hadn't.

Leah Hextall was brutal to listen to.  She sounded like an NPR host on a show about knitting.  Zero urgency in her voice and when she screamed for a goal it got really shrilly.  Not only that, but she kept messing up names, got info wrong about players (she claimed Ty Smith played in the AHL), and neither her nor Weekes realized for nearly an entire period that Hamilton was missing.  They were talking about Hamilton at times as if he was on the ice lol.

This was a game where your best players have to step up.  I am looking squarely at you Nico.

Coaching was iffy again this game.

Our best two players were yet again Mercer and Johnsson.  It's probably not a recipe for success when you have your $7M a year captain take a backseat to a 19 year old rookie playing in his 8th NHL game to lead the offense.

Sharangovich can fvck off at this point.  When his goal-less streak hits double digit games I think I may start a goal watch for him.

Yeah we all pretty much knew that this team was going to have to get its share of health luck to have a chance.  And they’ve gotten next to none so far.

If those who are counted on to provide some offense continue not to provide any, gotta wonder if Holtz gets an earlier-than-expected call-up. I know there’s only so much that can be done when key players are missing games due to injury, but I’d rather not see the Devils just punt the season away either.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Leah Hextall was brutal to listen to.  She sounded like an NPR host on a show about knitting.  Zero urgency in her voice and when she screamed for a goal it got really shrilly.  Not only that, but she kept messing up names, got info wrong about players (she claimed Ty Smith played in the AHL), and neither her nor Weekes realized for nearly an entire period that Hamilton was missing.  They were talking about Hamilton at times as if he was on the ice lol.

This was a game where your best players have to step up.  I am looking squarely at you Nico.

Our best two players were yet again Mercer and Johnsson.  It's probably not a recipe for success when you have your $7M a year captain take a backseat to a 19 year old rookie playing in his 8th NHL game to lead the offense.

Sharangovich can fvck off at this point.  When his goal-less streak hits double digit games I think I may start a goal watch for him.

The thing I find frustrating is that it looks like other than those you mentioned and those who weren't on the team last season that everyone has regressed. 

I am definitely more annoyed with this one then usual. Mainly because I woke up at 2am and decided to check in. I think I then sleept in a rage for the rest of the night. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

At least not in both arms. 

More important things to carry like a blunt and a non alcoholic beer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

The thing I find frustrating is that it looks like other than those you mentioned and those who weren't on the team last season that everyone has regressed. 

I am definitely more annoyed with this one then usual. Mainly because I woke up at 2am and decided to check in. I think I then sleept in a rage for the rest of the night. 

More important things to carry like a blunt and a non alcoholic beer. 

Either we overrated our own players, the coaching is suspect, or a combo.

I just finally caught the highlights of the final period - that shorthanded goal was just... I mean, is there any other way to describe it than embarrassing?  What the hell is this team even doing?

Two Ducks outworking 5 Devils in their own end.

something something culture problem something something

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I just finally caught the highlights of the final period - that shorthanded goal was just... I mean, is there any other way to describe it than embarrassing?  What the hell is this team even doing?

Hextall sounds like Monica from friends whe she calls a goal. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Couldn't agree with you more.  She is brutal to listen to and, while Kevin Weekes is knowledgeable, he's much better on a studio show on NHL Network than he is as a color commentator that needs to think quickly on the fly.  Basically, everything about that broadcast last night was terrible, including that Rags shrill Linda Cohen commentating between the benches.  Other than their 30 for 30 series, ESPN sucks.

As for the game, I fell asleep before the start of the 3rd.  Team looked lifeless after the first 10 minutes or so.  It's going to be a rough trip out west if Hamilton is out the next few games.  Hopefully its nothing serious and he's back in the lineup soon.  If he's out long term like Jack, we're screwed.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Masisak referred to the special teams as a ‘tire fire’ in another tweet, and he couldn’t have been more accurate in that description.

And considering the obvious fact that this is a continuation of last season, can’t help but wonder when nASS and Wrecky finally stop getting an endless fvcking pass.  These guys haven’t come close to helping…maybe it’s something as simple as they’re just not very good coaches?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If only there were someone on the coaching staff whose job it was to help with this sort of thing… 

As much as we rag on Nass ad Recchi (and they absolutely deserve all the sh!t they get), the buck eventually will have to stop with Ruff.  Nass and Recchi are not coaching on their respective islands and Ruff could step in at any time to help fix these.  Instead, I am seeing quotes from Ruff last night after the game where he is blaming jet lag (!!!!) as a reason for the poor performance of the team.

That's super-cringe.

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

As much as we rag on Nass ad Recchi (and they absolutely deserve all the sh!t they get), the buck eventually will have to stop with Ruff.  Nass and Recchi are not coaching on their respective islands and Ruff could step in at any time to help fix these.  Instead, I am seeing quotes from Ruff last night after the game where he is blaming jet lag (!!!!) as a reason for the poor performance of the team.

That's super-cringe.

Jet lag? He said that? I’m glad I didn’t hear him say it, because I may have had a fvcking stroke. That is not an acceptable reason for that performance last night. 

22 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Great!  I wonder when Nico, the guy with the C on his chest, will start heeding his own words.

He’s gripping the stick waaaay too tight right now. You can see it.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Jet lag? He said that? I’m glad I didn’t hear him say it, because I may have had a fvcking stroke. That is not an acceptable reason for that performance last night. 

His exact words/quote was "We didn't skate very well.  I thought maybe the travel caught up to us."