UPDATE 3/11/22 - Wood Practicing (Non-Contact) Again - Had Hip Surgery 11/8/21

RunninWithTheDevil

A combination of WHAT things?

Seriously, as I've mentioned before, several fans have supported this franchise through extended lean times, spending good money on tix to watch what's often been a bad and irrelevant team...often mediocre-at-best concessions, etc.  

Is it so fvcking much to ask that this organization stops being so goddamned cryptic when it comes to discussing injuries or their status?  Is it like this around the league, and I'm just not aware of how it is with other franchises?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seriously, as I've mentioned before, several fans have supported this franchise through extended lean times, spending good money on tix to watch what's often been a bad and irrelevant team...often mediocre-at-best concessions, etc.  

Is it so fvcking much to ask that this organization stops being so goddamned cryptic when it comes to discussing injuries or their status?  Is it like this around the league, and I'm just not aware of how it is with other franchises?  

Maybe because it's none of anyones business on the specific health of a player, regardless of how much you spent on the team and feel you're rightfully allowed to know about someone's private life.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

Maybe because it's none of anyones business on the specific health of a player, regardless of how much you spent on the team and feel you're rightfully allowed to know about someone's private life.

Yeah this, i mean. Sure we're curious and want to know, but the team said he'd be out for awhile and that's all we should be feeling entitled to know. Beyond that like you said, that's information about someone private life and we're not entitled to that information.

Just now, Max20Characters said:

fvck right off with that...this is not some "entitled fan" thing, but the fans do have some right to know the status of a player's health, as it pertains to when he might get back on the ice.  I don't need to know a thing about his private life, that is 100% true, and I have no interest in that...but his injury status is relevant to the state of the hockey team, and at some point, I don't think it's so crazy for the Devils to provide something more detailed than "day-to-day".  For example, the Devils could easily have said that surgery could be a possible and even likely option, but for now, they're exploring other options...give us SOMETHING.  That is NOT too much to ask.  

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Yeah this, i mean. Sure we're curious and want to know, but the team said he'd be out for awhile and that's all we should be feeling entitled to know. Beyond that like you said, that's information about someone private life and we're not entitled to that information.

But like I just said to Max, this isn't about wanting to know EVERY last detail...it's the fact that we were basically given next to nothing, all of this time.  It's not like information about injuries and their status has been completely off-limits through the years.  This isn't some cancer diagnosis or anything like that...this was simply wanting some kind of update as to what might be going on, with regards to when he might be able to play (or if the original "day-to-day" prognosis no longer applied).  

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

image.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

fvck right off with that...this is not some "entitled fan" thing, but the fans do have some right to know the status of a player's health, as it pertains to when he might get back on the ice.  I don't need to know a thing about his private life, that is 100% true, and I have no interest in that...but his injury status is relevant to the state of the hockey team, and at some point, I don't think it's so crazy for the Devils to provide something more detailed than "day-to-day".  For example, the Devils could easily have said that surgery could be a possible and even likely option, but for now, they're exploring other options...give us SOMETHING.  That is NOT too much to ask.  

It’s a function of the world we live in, everyone expects all information to be available to us 24/7. 

I don’t have the same view. He was out, that’s all I needed to know. Now we know he will be out a long time. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But like I just said to Max, this isn't about wanting to know EVERY last detail...it's the fact that we were basically given next to nothing, all of this time.  It's not like information about injuries and their status has been completely off-limits through the years.  This isn't some cancer diagnosis or anything like that...this was simply wanting some kind of update as to what might be going on, with regards to when he might be able to play (or if the original "day-to-day" prognosis no longer applied).  

Still, if you're really honest with yourself it's still rooted in nothing but curiosity, absolutely not a necessity for us to know. As long as the coaching staff was told and could plan accordingly, that's all the team really needed to do. So why should they tell YOU for example? What would that change for the team or Wood? Honestly. Its curiosity. What they tell the fans is up to their discretion and that's 100% their rights. And no amount of money fans can pay should change that. 

Like they said, they apparently tried to see if he could maybe make it without surgery and while they were trying to figure that out he was day-to-day as he was probably testing it and waiting for results. When it was clear he was going to go for surgery they told us. I personally wouldn't expect anything more

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You want to know when he'll return to the ice? They said indefinitely. There's your answer. You asked "WHAT THINGS" are causing his injury, even though it's a hip surgery. What difference does it make to you if it's not for your entitlement? Maybe he fell down the stairs and doesn't want anyone to know.

8 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

You want to know when he'll return to the ice? They said indefinitely. There's your answer. You asked "WHAT THINGS" are causing his injury, even though it's a hip surgery. What difference does it make to you if it's not for your entitlement? Maybe he fell down the stairs and doesn't want anyone to know.

Based on the way he skates, he is 100% a guy who runs around the house on wood floors in socks and crashes into stuff. 

31 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

What an awful take.

For over 4 weeks now the team has claimed over and over that he has just "bumps and bruises" and that he is day to day.  Now, they are saying he is having hip surgery and those kind of things are known to keep players out for an entire season.  We don't need to know every little detail about what is going on with him, but to blatantly lie about the severity of his injury and as well as lie about the timeline is silly.

It's always worth mentioning this team has a track record of this from Nico being "close" to returning last season that ended up being a month and Hall being listed as day to day for nearly 2 months before an out of market hockey reporter broke that he was having season-ending knee surgery.

The one possible good thing about sports gambling is that it may eventually force the NHL's hand in being more forthcoming about player injuries.  None of these cryptic at best, blatant lying at worst injury reports.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Still, if you're really honest with yourself it's still rooted in nothing but curiosity, absolutely not a necessity for us to know. As long as the coaching staff was told and could plan accordingly, that's all the team really needed to do. So why should they tell YOU for example? What would that change for the team or Wood? Honestly. Its curiosity. What they tell the fans is up to their discretion and that's 100% their rights. And no amount of money fans can pay should change that. 

Like they said, they apparently tried to see if he could maybe make it without surgery and while they were trying to figure that out he was day-to-day as he was probably testing it and waiting for results. When it was clear he was going to go for surgery they told us. I personally wouldn't expect anything more

I think something more could've been provided...like I said, I wasn't looking for absolute specifics.  Just seems weird that this went from "day-to-day" to hip surgery.  

I know the way that I worded my initial post made it sound like spending money made me "entitled" to be given more info re:  injuries, but that's not what I was going for...several fans follow the team but don't necessarily spend money to go to see games in person...and it's not like I'm some season ticket holder myself...I go to games when I can...any given season, that's about 10-15 games, sometimes pushing 20.  But regardless of how fans follow and support the team, the fact is that they've been doing it, even with the team not really giving much of a reason to stay engaged...of course that's part of being a die-hard sports fan, in that even successful franchises (or those that once were) will have downturns and tough stretches, but we'll keep watching anyway, looking for those future silver linings wherever we can find them.  But I think it's not too much to ask for the Devils to have been straighter with the fanbase than they were.  

It's not curiosity, it's simply hoping to have some idea as to when a guy who scored 17 goals last year and could help a team that needs scoring might be able to come back.  Wasn't looking for a specific date...but we've seen cases where a player is hurt, and we get an "out 4-6 weeks" as an initial diagnosis.  We know that sometimes things can change, and then the team mentions that there was a setback, so the original timetable changes...not great news of course, but at least you got an update, and felt like the team was being as forthright as it could be.  It just felt like so little was provided here...and considering that specific in-game injuries (and rehab progress) in professional sports are often reported in the media, I'm surprised that the "It's a private matter" card is being played.  If this was a case of mental illness and that player needing to step away from the team for an unspecified period of time, yeah, I absolutely don't need to know the details of that, nor would I want to.  Or if he was suffering from some non-sports-related health concern (cancer, tumors, heart condition, etc) that required him to miss considerable time to get treatment.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think something more could've been provided...like I said, I wasn't looking for absolute specifics.  Just seems weird that this went from "day-to-day" to hip surgery.  

Whether its right or wrong, its's not "weird" because there is precedent. Filed under Hall, Taylor. Its exactly how the team handled his knee injury. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Whether its right or wrong, its's not "weird" because there is precedent. Filed under Hall, Taylor. Its exactly how the team handled his knee injury. 

Yeah guess I can't argue against that part of it...DM84 pointed out previous cases.  

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Miles 100% tried to do this at least once and went straight into the wall frame

giphy-1.gif.c0dbb287b99f85ce129f697af4848917.gif

On a side note, many years ago at a fraternity Halloween party, one of my bros did indeed dress up as this version of Joel Goodson (wore boxers over the tidy whiteys though, which was a mild cop-out).  Several beers into the night, he did indeed try this maneuver (floors at the rental hall were hardwood), as someone threw on Bob Seger's classic tune.  And did proceed to wipe out, at which point he braced his tumble with his left hand.  At which point he still kept drinking, though his wrist slowly but surely continued to swell up enough to the point where I finally asked "Um, maybe you outta get that looked at?"  He said nah, it would be fine, and he couldn't feel it anyway.  The next morning, he felt it.  And soon had the cast to prove it...which was better than his initial "home" remedy (ice cubes and an Ace bandage).  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a side note, many years ago at a fraternity Halloween party, one of my bros did indeed dress up as this version of Joel Goodson (wore boxers over the tidy whiteys though, which was a mild cop-out).  

If you are going to be bold enough to do it, do it all the way.

Sometimes you just gotta say what the fvck. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know the way that I worded my initial post made it sound like spending money made me "entitled" to be given more info re:  injuries, but that's not what I was going for...several fans follow the team but don't necessarily spend money to go to see games in person...and it's not like I'm some season ticket holder myself...I go to games when I can...any given season, that's about 10-15 games, sometimes pushing 20.  But regardless of how fans follow and support the team, the fact is that they've been doing it, even with the team not really giving much of a reason to stay engaged...of course that's part of being a die-hard sports fan, in that even successful franchises (or those that once were) will have downturns and tough stretches, but we'll keep watching anyway, looking for those future silver linings wherever we can find them.  But I think it's not too much to ask for the Devils to have been straighter with the fanbase than they were.  

It's not curiosity, it's simply hoping to have some idea as to when a guy who scored 17 goals last year and could help a team that needs scoring might be able to come back.  Wasn't looking for a specific date...but we've seen cases where a player is hurt, and we get an "out 4-6 weeks" as an initial diagnosis.  We know that sometimes things can change, and then the team mentions that there was a setback, so the original timetable changes...not great news of course, but at least you got an update, and felt like the team was being as forthright as it could be.  It just felt like so little was provided here...and considering that specific in-game injuries (and rehab progress) in professional sports are often reported in the media, I'm surprised that the "It's a private matter" card is being played.  If this was a case of mental illness and that player needing to step away from the team for an unspecified period of time, yeah, I absolutely don't need to know the details of that, nor would I want to.  Or if he was suffering from some non-sports-related health concern (cancer, tumors, heart condition, etc) that required him to miss considerable time to get treatment.  

Again, i get it but give me one legit good reason why you and I should/have to be given more details? 

Like i said, everyone that HAD to know (coaches, GM, players, family, etc) they knew, cause it was impacting them directly, not us.

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Again, i get it but give me one legit good reason why you and I should/have to be given more details? 

Like i said, everyone that HAD to know (coaches, GM, players, family, etc) they knew, cause it was impacting them directly, not us.

We don't have to know that guys like Rooney are nice guys, the the team tells us anyways.

We don't have to watch Ty Smith play video games on his off time, but the team shows us anyways.

We don't have to know (or want to know) what shoes Stein is wearing that day, but she shows us anyways.

On the other hand, we would like to know what is going on regarding a players status and a ballpark estimate for their return but that's a fvcking state secret.

The team treats its fans like children.

• Like 2

Also, for those of you keeping score at home, below is the list of major news stories from the Devils over the past 2.5 years and who broke that news.

1) Taylor Hall out for season with knee surgery - out of market hockey reporter (may have been Morreale)

2) Ruff getting hired - Kevin Weekes

3) Nico Hischier broken leg - Some college-aged "superfan" on twitter

4) Corey Crawford retiring - Some random poster on Reddit.

5) Blackwood is the unvaxxed player and has a foot/heel injury - Some bozo on njdevs (me)

6) Miles Wood hip surgery - Newbie poster on njdevs.

• Like 2

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Also, for those of you keeping score at home, below is the list of major news stories from the Devils over the past 2.5 years and who broke that news.

1) Taylor Hall out for season with knee surgery - out of market hockey reporter (may have been Morreale)

2) Ruff getting hired - Kevin Weekes

3) Nico Hischier broken leg - Some college-aged "superfan" on twitter

4) Corey Crawford retiring - Some random poster on Reddit.

5) Blackwood is the unvaxxed player and has a foot/heel injury - Some bozo on njdevs (me)

6) Miles Wood hip surgery - Newbie poster on njdevs.

Pavel Zacha is not a quality player…almost!!

- Me