UPDATE 3/11/22 - Wood Practicing (Non-Contact) Again - Had Hip Surgery 11/8/21

RunninWithTheDevil

Just now, MB3 said:

Assuming the cap raises even just a little bit, the Devils will have $28m next year to spread out to Jesper Bratt, Pavel Zacha, and Miles Wood.

This reads like those guys are going to be making $28m and that is a scary thought lol. 

Guessing Bratt's good for 4+ years and $5.5+ million per, if he stays healthy and finishes with about 0.8 PPG.

Wood comes back on a one-year deal, $3.5 million or so (this won't hurt the Devils one bit, from a cap standpoint).  Can't see the Devils not qualifying him.  

Really hard to say exactly what Zacha's worth.  Could probably get $4-4.5 million per, based on the 84-game stretch I've referred to, as long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff.  But it really feels like his worth will come down to the balance of this season.

Cheap talent coming up in L. Hughes and Holtz.  Mercer still has two ELC years left.  Depending on how it goes with Zacha, hard to think his contract wouldn't be tradeable at any point.  Even if he doesn't play as well as we'd hope, I can't see him regressing so far that someone wouldn't take a chance on him...his cap hit shouldn't ever become truly prohibitive.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guessing Bratt's good for 4+ years and $5.5+ million per, if he stays healthy and finishes with about 0.8 PPG.

Wood comes back on a one-year deal, $3.5 million or so (this won't hurt the Devils one bit, from a cap standpoint).  Can't see the Devils not qualifying him.  

Really hard to say exactly what Zacha's worth.  Could probably get $4-4.5 million per, based on the 84-game stretch I've referred to, as long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff.  But it really feels like his worth will come down to the balance of this season.

I feel like those are pretty fair numbers, I would want Zacha at the lower end of that scale but even $4.5m is ok. 

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cheap talent coming up in L. Hughes and Holtz.  Mercer still has two ELC years left.  Depending on how it goes with Zacha, hard to think his contract wouldn't be tradeable at any point.  Even if he does play as well as we'd hope, I can't see him regressing so far that someone wouldn't take a chance on him...his cap hit shouldn't ever become truly prohibitive.

If Zacha's cap hit ever becomes trade prohibitive, then he did something right or the team did something very wrong.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That would honestly feel like a pretty good deal on Bratt to me. Kid has really become a line driver, and has been productive no matter who he plays with. Even going back to the last half of 2019-20 when he was primarily with Gusev and Zacha. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That would honestly feel like a pretty good deal on Bratt to me. Kid has really become a line driver, and has been productive no matter who he plays with. Even going back to the last half of 2019-20 when he was primarily with Gusev and Zacha. 

Would it shock me if he was offered one more season and a little more per season?  Probably not.

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It would be a good deal. $5.5m+, the plus could be $6m-$6.25m, and I would still be fine. 

And I’m not worried about the term, lock it up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It would be a good deal. $5.5m+, the plus could be $6m-$6.25m, and I would still be fine. 

And I’m not worried about the term, lock it up. 

Yeah that's why I threw the "+" in there...I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him get 5 years @ $6 million per.

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I assumed so when I responded. Not bad for the 7383626844th pick in the draft. 

Yeah Shero hit a home run with that one.  Guy's career has basically unfolded like what you would hope from, say, the 10th pick or so overall (started with the big club very young, had some ups and downs, appears to have figured things out while still in his early 20s, could become a star, etc).  Glad I was wrong about him earlier this year.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Would it shock me if he was offered one more season and a little more per season?  Probably not.

I would say 6x6 is probably the minimum for Bratt, assuming he wants to sign long term here.  He's currently sitting at 14th in the league in even strength points playing for another dogsh!t Devils team.  Minus a view outliers who most would agree are underpaid (Kadri, Huberdeau) there aren't many guys on that list who are under 6m AAV.

I'm not sure how that deal shakes out in the long term, especially if he never manages to play a consistent 82 game season.  But as others have said, we're not gonna be in a cap crunch any time soon so what's the harm.

Now if Bratt's agent starts talking about a higher AAV than that over similar term.. yeesh. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I don't care if he comes back this year but i really really hope that he's fully healthy and back to normal next season

Agreed and I would add I only want to see him this season if he is 100% healthy. If giving him off the rest of the season would be beneficial to him at all, that’s what should be done. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I have to imagine the team knows this and his camp know this. If he does play again this year it’ll almost certainly be because a doctor has said “he is 100% full strength and cannot reinjure  the area any less easily with more rest.” 

You might think that, but our current goaltending situation kind of makes me wonder how true that is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You might think that, but our current goaltending situation kind of makes me wonder how true that is. 

You mean “rub some dirt on it and get back out there” wasn’t the best way to get our top 2 goalies healthy??

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2