UPDATE 3/11/22 - Wood Practicing (Non-Contact) Again - Had Hip Surgery 11/8/21

RunninWithTheDevil

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not advocating for trading him now for peanuts.  What I am saying is that given the recent raises and soon-to-be raises for guys like Bratt, Graves, etc and ones further down the line (Mercer), push comes to shove then if there is an odd-man out I would rather it be Zacha.  For most of his career of nearly 350 games he has been invisible minus a 40ish game stretch last season.  I am not going to want to give a guy a payday based on something he did in 20-21 season for future 22-23 and beyond seasons.

Pure spec, but I'm guessing if Zacha is mediocre, Devils try to avoid arbitration by signing him to a one or two-year deal.  If he picks it up and finishes at around a 50 point per 82 GP pace, he'll get three or four years.  Don't think he'll get paid an insane amount, which would make his contract tradeable down the line.      

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

That sample falls in line with the rest of his career minus a 40ish game stretch last season.

“if you take away the games where he was good, his stats are less good” 

DM84 with the hard hitting analysis we all come to expect. thanks, king.

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

2019-20 (final 20 GP):  5 G, 9 A, 14 Pts

2020-21 (50 GP):  17 G, 18 A, 35 Pts

2021-22 (first 14 GP):  7 G, 4 A, 11 Pts

Total:  84 GP, 29 G, 31 A, 60 Pts

That's a pretty decent-sized sample...it's not like the Devils have had a whole lot of players lately who've been able to do that.

Re:  your most recent post, the Devils are in a bit of rock and a hard place with him...if he's meh to flat-out unproductive the rest of the season, teams will try to get him on the cheap...if he picks it back up, does it really make sense to deal him, assuming the Devils don't re-sign him long-term, and he's on a one-year arb-settlement deal?  And that there doesn't seem to be much in Utica capable of providing much offense with the big club?

The big question that hasn't been fully answered yet...did the sample above truly represent him turning a corner (which would render the games that came before it pretty much moot), or was it a fluke?  That's what the Devils have to find out.  

Zacha has now played 349 NHL games.  Those 84 games were nice, but the 16 games since then and the 249 games previous were very underwhelming.

I would hate to give Zacha a hefty raise only for him to turn into the Zacha we have seen in the 265 games before and after that nice 84 game burst.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

So we gonna give Zacha a pay raise based on the 25% of his GP that he has played well?

Sounds like the incoherent ramblings of the board's resident man-child who is upset someone is pointing out his boy's recent 16 games of sh!t play.

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pure spec, but I'm guessing if Zacha is mediocre, Devils try to avoid arbitration by signing him to a one or two-year deal.  If he picks it up and finishes at around a 50 point per 82 GP pace, he'll get three or four years.  Don't think he'll get paid an insane amount, which would make his contract tradeable down the line.      

I guess I am alright with that.  I just don't think he is worth any kind of "hefty" pay raise at least now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Zacha has now played 349 NHL games.  Those 84 games were nice, but the 16 games since then and the 249 games previous were very underwhelming.

I would hate to give Zacha a hefty raise only for him to turn into the Zacha we have seen in the 265 games before and after that nice 84 game burst.

I can find examples of players who took a while to figure things out...check out Shane Doan's first four years in the NHL.  That being said, starting with his Age 23 season, Doan became a guy who could be counted on for about 26 goals and 36 assists per 82 GP for the next 14 seasons and 1066 GP.  I am not asking Zacha to match that (either in raw numbers or pure longevity), but based on what we saw just before this slump, I need him to be able to ink him in for 25+ goals and 50+ points per 82 GP going forward, while improving his all-around game.  And I'd like to think he could do that for at least 5 more seasons, given his age.      

19 games is a relatively small sample (it's been 19 games (5 points) since the 84 games I referred to), and the 84 games that came before them have bought him some time...to be clear, I'm not suggesting that he gets to live off those 84 games forever.  Like I've said, I feel like he has until the end of the year to prove himself, or at least show that he's not going to return to previous Zacha form.  If he finishes with less than 0.5 PPG this year (after a promising start), I think it's very fair to question what exactly he's going to be, and to have doubts about him.  Like you just mentioned, I'm OK with a short-term "This is your last chance" deal off a meh year, and a longer-term "OK, you appeared to have turned the corner" contract if he finishes strong.  We'll know better how he feel about him as the season draws to a close.     

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Wouldn’t that mean you were also saying “he’s good only if you consider a small sample of games where he was good”? And wouldn’t yours be way smaller? 

Last sentence above not an accident lol. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:
Daws is still hurt and is unavailable. Our current goalies are Jon Gillies and the first fan to show up at the arena with goalie equipment. 

This looks like a job for...

CINCO DOMINGO!

• Haha 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This looks like a job for...

CINCO DOMINGO!

Is he available??? This would be the best possible option. 

I still multiple versions of the neon sign in my Flickr account. This one is by far my favorite. 

49559078323_05b5dd590b_b.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

So we gonna give Zacha a pay raise based on the 25% of his GP that he has played well?

Sounds like the incoherent ramblings of the board's resident man-child who is upset someone is pointing out his boy's recent 16 games of sh!t play.

If you think that’s incoherent you should hear what SD has to say about the coronavirus!! 

I’ve been as harsh on Zacha as anyone this season. You’ll find no inconsistencies in my post history. 

Assuming the cap raises even just a little bit, the Devils will have $28m next year to spread out to Jesper Bratt, Pavel Zacha, and Miles Wood. Even if you assume the Devils add a decent UFA piece, it’s going to be close to even reach the cap floor. 

There are parallel universes out there where I’m a flamboyantly gay world-famous triceratops trainer. There are parallel universes out there where you and Amanda Stein have 14 children and you dedicate every ounce of your being to her happiness.

There are no parallel universes out there where the Devils have some sort of logjam that inhibits them (money-wise or talent-wise) from re-signing Pavel Zacha. 

• Haha 2

Just now, MB3 said:

Assuming the cap raises even just a little bit, the Devils will have $28m next year to spread out to Jesper Bratt, Pavel Zacha, and Miles Wood.

This reads like those guys are going to be making $28m and that is a scary thought lol. 

Guessing Bratt's good for 4+ years and $5.5+ million per, if he stays healthy and finishes with about 0.8 PPG.

Wood comes back on a one-year deal, $3.5 million or so (this won't hurt the Devils one bit, from a cap standpoint).  Can't see the Devils not qualifying him.  

Really hard to say exactly what Zacha's worth.  Could probably get $4-4.5 million per, based on the 84-game stretch I've referred to, as long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff.  But it really feels like his worth will come down to the balance of this season.

Cheap talent coming up in L. Hughes and Holtz.  Mercer still has two ELC years left.  Depending on how it goes with Zacha, hard to think his contract wouldn't be tradeable at any point.  Even if he doesn't play as well as we'd hope, I can't see him regressing so far that someone wouldn't take a chance on him...his cap hit shouldn't ever become truly prohibitive.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guessing Bratt's good for 4+ years and $5.5+ million per, if he stays healthy and finishes with about 0.8 PPG.

Wood comes back on a one-year deal, $3.5 million or so (this won't hurt the Devils one bit, from a cap standpoint).  Can't see the Devils not qualifying him.  

Really hard to say exactly what Zacha's worth.  Could probably get $4-4.5 million per, based on the 84-game stretch I've referred to, as long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff.  But it really feels like his worth will come down to the balance of this season.

I feel like those are pretty fair numbers, I would want Zacha at the lower end of that scale but even $4.5m is ok. 

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cheap talent coming up in L. Hughes and Holtz.  Mercer still has two ELC years left.  Depending on how it goes with Zacha, hard to think his contract wouldn't be tradeable at any point.  Even if he does play as well as we'd hope, I can't see him regressing so far that someone wouldn't take a chance on him...his cap hit shouldn't ever become truly prohibitive.

If Zacha's cap hit ever becomes trade prohibitive, then he did something right or the team did something very wrong.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That would honestly feel like a pretty good deal on Bratt to me. Kid has really become a line driver, and has been productive no matter who he plays with. Even going back to the last half of 2019-20 when he was primarily with Gusev and Zacha. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That would honestly feel like a pretty good deal on Bratt to me. Kid has really become a line driver, and has been productive no matter who he plays with. Even going back to the last half of 2019-20 when he was primarily with Gusev and Zacha. 

Would it shock me if he was offered one more season and a little more per season?  Probably not.

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It would be a good deal. $5.5m+, the plus could be $6m-$6.25m, and I would still be fine. 

And I’m not worried about the term, lock it up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It would be a good deal. $5.5m+, the plus could be $6m-$6.25m, and I would still be fine. 

And I’m not worried about the term, lock it up. 

Yeah that's why I threw the "+" in there...I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him get 5 years @ $6 million per.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah that's why I threw the "+" in there...I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him get 5 years @ $6 million per.

I assumed so when I responded. Not bad for the 7383626844th pick in the draft. 

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I assumed so when I responded. Not bad for the 7383626844th pick in the draft. 

Yeah Shero hit a home run with that one.  Guy's career has basically unfolded like what you would hope from, say, the 10th pick or so overall (started with the big club very young, had some ups and downs, appears to have figured things out while still in his early 20s, could become a star, etc).  Glad I was wrong about him earlier this year.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Would it shock me if he was offered one more season and a little more per season?  Probably not.

I would say 6x6 is probably the minimum for Bratt, assuming he wants to sign long term here.  He's currently sitting at 14th in the league in even strength points playing for another dogsh!t Devils team.  Minus a view outliers who most would agree are underpaid (Kadri, Huberdeau) there aren't many guys on that list who are under 6m AAV.

I'm not sure how that deal shakes out in the long term, especially if he never manages to play a consistent 82 game season.  But as others have said, we're not gonna be in a cap crunch any time soon so what's the harm.

Now if Bratt's agent starts talking about a higher AAV than that over similar term.. yeesh. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

11 hours ago, Fansinz88 said:

Where are we on the Evander Kane thing here? It’s time. 

Time for what? To bring in an absolute trash human being who hasn’t played hockey in almost a year? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...