GDT: Devils @ Florida 7:00 PM MSG+

MadDog2020

34 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Not trying to be antagonistic, but the Panthers are.. really good.  Even without Barkov out there.

This is what they do - score a ton of goals.  Devils looked good at the start but they let it get away from them.

Burn the tape and move onto the next one.

Yeah even with a great first period, not like the Devils should’ve been expected to go into their house and beat them.  Still a work in progress, without a key player in Hughes.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

My wife just asked who this new “old guy”(Zetterlund) is lol. He is a weird looking dude. She was surprised he’s only in his early 20’s though. 

And he’s got the reddest fvcking face I have ever seen. Like Hellboy. 

This game sucked a bag of the fattest d!cks. 

6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

McLeod sucks. They should have exposed him instead of Bastian.

McLeod is another one who you thought had taken a step last season and might be able to take another this year but has just looked like he has gone completely backwards. 

Was hoping he might be a 30-40 point guy long term. 

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i spent the entire evening at the movie theatre watching Ghostbusters Afterlife back to back. Sounds like it was the way to go

How do you post this without a review of the movie…? Expectant minds who have been waiting for a third moving to finally be released are curious!

11 hours ago, hit the post said:

Once again this team is sh!t without quality goaltending which we haven't had in years....I was spoiled by the cup winning years.

Cory was terrific his first few years here (on bad teams), but we know what happened after that.

Blackwood has shown flashes, but as he's approaching his 25th birthday, it's fair to wonder what his true upside is.  Legit #1?  Poor man's #1?  A guy who shouldn't start more than half his team's games in any given season?  Hopefully this year will go a long way towards answering those questions.  He'll have one year left on his current deal after this season ends.  

Bernier's a solid vet...at least you know about what you'll get with him.  

So far, Blackwood's put up a .923 save%, Bernier .916%.  This is obviously small sample stuff, but if they combine for a save% close to .920, I can definitely live with that.  I'm hoping for above-average puck-stopping from them...not top-of-the-line or elite, but since the Devils haven't been above league-average in save% since 2015-16, I'd consider even slightly above-average a huge step forward.

But yeah, Brodeur was obviously a special player...and not necessarily as a pure puck-stopper, but the guy could be counted on to start 70+ games in just about every season through his late 30s, and brought other skills to the table (insane puckhandling comes to mind)...and of course, come playoff time, often raised his game.  That's a brutal act for any Devils goalie to follow.  

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i spent the entire evening at the movie theatre watching Ghostbusters Afterlife back to back. Sounds like it was the way to go

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a movie back to back in my life. Not even any of my absolute favorites. Must have been pretty good…

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a movie back to back in my life. Not even any of my absolute favorites. Must have been pretty good…

I know I've done that a few times, but mostly as background...I was painting my future mancave (in my previous house), and King Kong (2005 version) was on.  It was then on again, and I just kinda said "screw it", and kinda-sorta watched it again.  I can't remember the exact other times that I did it, but I know it's happened.  

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

How do you post this without a review of the movie…? Expectant minds who have been waiting for a third moving to finally be released are curious!

Here’s my honest Ghostbusters: Afterlife review.

For people like me who are huge fans, It’s absolutely fvcking fantastic. It's an absolute love letter to the original movie and through the last 15 minutes I had to actively keep myself from ugly crying audibly. Had tears going down my neck.

It does rely very heavily on story points, easter eggs, references to the OG movie. Personally i'm 100% fine with that but i can see how some people expecting something completely new and fresh will see that as a flaw. Obviously not what they went for. Personally couldnt be happier and many of my friends who saw it also couldnt say one bad thing about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

One day i got up early to go to work but there was a storm and i was stuck inside. So I watched the entire Back to the Future trilogy with commentaries with zemekis, Gale and someone else. Then i re-watched the entire trilogy with the 2nd track of commentaries with fox, lloyd, etc.. Then i was like... well... i couldnt really watch the movies with people talking over. so i rewatched the whole trilogy, THEN watched the first one again.

I'm a maniac

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Here’s my honest Ghostbusters: Afterlife review.

For people like me who are huge fans, It’s absolutely fvcking fantastic. It's an absolute love letter to the original movie and through the last 15 minutes I had to actively keep myself from ugly crying audibly. Had tears going down my neck.

It does rely very heavily on story points, easter eggs, references to the OG movie. Personally i'm 100% fine with that but i can see how some people expecting something completely new and fresh will see that as a flaw. Obviously not what they went for. Personally couldnt be happier and many of my friends who saw it also couldnt say one bad thing about it.

The bolded seems to be a polarizing point, in the reviews that I've seen so far.

As someone who actually saw the original in the theater (and watched it countless other times since), I'll likely be all over the references and easter eggs.

It was funny, one day both Brady Bunch movies were on TV (the ones that came out in the 90s, and took the clever angle of having this sanitized trapped-in-time '70s TV family living completely oblivious to the then-current 90s world around them), and I watched them with my daughter.  Made me realize quickly that those movies being entertaining were COMPLETELY reliant on having actually watched the shows (I did watch most of the episodes in syndication, when I about 6-8 years old)...I found those movies funny because I got most of the references...when you don't have that background, a hell of a lot is missing.  I basically had to keep explaining to my daughter what all of the references were...and of course, she had no idea about some of the cameos (Ann B Smith, Barry Williams, and Christopher Knight all made appearances in the first movie...other former Brady stars did too, but wound up on the cutting room floor).

But yeah, this iteration of Ghostbusters is clearly designed with a target audience in mind.  You loved it and whenever I get around to seeing it, I'll be into it as well.  I want to take my daughter, but we'll watch the original first...I think she saw it a while ago, but not a bunch...she'll need to bone up.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded seems to be a polarizing point, in the reviews that I've seen so far.

As someone who actually saw the original in the theater (and watched it countless other times since), I'll likely be all over the references and easter eggs.

It was funny, one day both Brady Bunch movies were on TV (the ones that came out in the 90s, and took the clever angle of having this sanitized trapped-in-time '70s TV family living completely oblivious to the then-current 90s world around them), and I watched them with my daughter.  Made me realize quickly that those movies being entertaining were COMPLETELY reliant on having actually watched the shows (I did watch most of the episodes in syndication, when I about 6-8 years old)...I found those movies funny because I got most of the references...when you don't have that background, a hell of a lot is missing.  I basically had to keep explaining to my daughter what all of the references were...and of course, she had no idea about some of the cameos (Ann B Smith, Barry Williams, and Christopher Knight all made appearances in the first movie...other former Brady stars did too, but wound up on the cutting room floor).

But yeah, this iteration of Ghostbusters is clearly designed with a target audience in mind.  You loved it and whenever I get around to seeing it, I'll be into it as well.  I want to take my daughter, but we'll watch the original first...I think she saw it a while ago, but not a bunch...she'll need to bone up.  

Yeah and i mean i knew exactly how the movie was going to unfold. For sure its predictable, but also because that's where the movie HAD to go. This is what the movie had to be.

When movie makers take a franchise and decide to throw curveballs at you just for the sake of being "different and unexpected", they often make bad decisions just for the sake of being different. And that's exactly what happened with RJ with The Last Jedi.

Like if you have a wife and "your thing" that she absolutely loved about being with you is specific moments and the things you do. Like her fav activity is just... driving around town randomly, and go park at the top of a hill to watch over the city listening to your favourite songs and eat ice cream. Well, at your anniversary if you decide you want to do something special and different... maybe she won't enjoy being surprised with a paintball game or teapot painting. Maybe all she wanted was the thing she love more than anything and what made your couple special. That's not to say she may not enjoy other activities but you know

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

One day i got up early to go to work but there was a storm and i was stuck inside. So I watched the entire Back to the Future trilogy with commentaries with zemekis, Gale and someone else. Then i re-watched the entire trilogy with the 2nd track of commentaries with fox, lloyd, etc.. Then i was like... well... i couldnt really watch the movies with people talking over. so i rewatched the whole trilogy, THEN watched the first one again.

I'm a maniac

On a random side note...wonder if poor Eric Stoltz ever pays attention to anything BTTF-related.  Just out of morbid curiosity (on his part).

Enjoyed the first movie (and still do)...I like the second and third ones but not nearly as much.  Been over it, in that picking apart the many alternative timelines can kill the fun in a hurry (the one for me is how the hell does NO ONE ever recognize Marty in newer timelines, where he clearly interacted for extended periods with Doc, his parents, Biff, etc in the past).  Doc must remember that Marty met him back in 1955 because he saved Marty's precautionary note...they don't ever talk about that in the 1985 present, but at least there's the understanding between them that yeah, Marty did indeed know younger Doc in 1955, and was there for about a week.

But yeah, when mfitz then says "So the time-traveling DeLorean doesn't phase you, but the time-traveling paradoxes do", that's when I remember not to delve too deep.  Just enjoy them for the (mostly) fun movies that they are.

And on that note, always got a kick out of 1985 Hilldale (considered to be upscale at the time) is considered dangerous and is looking a bit worse-for-wear by 2015.  I've seen some areas like that where I live, but if anything, going the OTHER way...Somerville NJ has really become a cool place to hang, solid nightlife, etc...had a COMPLETELY different vibe in the mid-80s (it was pretty meh, not that much to do, just kinda there).  Much MUCH nicer now.   

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cory was terrific his first few years here (on bad teams), but we know what happened after that.

Blackwood has shown flashes, but as he's approaching his 25th birthday, it's fair to wonder what his true upside is.  Legit #1?  Poor man's #1?  A guy who shouldn't start more than half his team's games in any given season?  Hopefully this year will go a long way towards answering those questions.  He'll have one year left on his current deal after this season ends.  

Bernier's a solid vet...at least you know about what you'll get with him.  

So far, Blackwood's put up a .923 save%, Bernier .916%.  This is obviously small sample stuff, but if they combine for a save% close to .920, I can definitely live with that.  I'm hoping for above-average puck-stopping from them...not top-of-the-line or elite, but since the Devils haven't been above league-average in save% since 2015-16, I'd consider even slightly above-average a huge step forward.

But yeah, Brodeur was obviously a special player...and not necessarily as a pure puck-stopper, but the guy could be counted on to start 70+ games in just about every season through his late 30s, and brought other skills to the table (insane puckhandling comes to mind)...and of course, come playoff time, often raised his game.  That's a brutal act for any Devils goalie to follow.  

It’s really not fair to compare Devils goalies to Brodeur. He was a player we aren’t going to see again. No one is doing the 70 starts a year thing for 15 years. We were so incredibly spoiled. 

I don’t think Blackwood can be labeled just yet. Goalies take a little longer. For example, Schneider didn’t become a starter until he came to Jersey as a 25 year old and had his best seasons from then until 29. It’s easy to forget now, but until his injury problems he had the highest career save percentage in NHL history.

For what it’s worth, Blackwoods .923% is 12th amongst goalies with at least 5 games in this young season  

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On a random side note...wonder if poor Eric Stoltz ever pays attention to anything BTTF-related.  Just out of morbid curiosity (on his part).

Enjoyed the first movie (and still do)...I like the second and third ones but not nearly as much.  Been over it, in that picking apart the many alternative timelines can kill the fun in a hurry (the one for me is how the hell does NO ONE ever recognize Marty in newer timelines, where he clearly interacted for extended periods with Doc, his parents, Biff, etc in the past).  Doc must remember that Marty met him back in 1955 because he saved Marty's precautionary note...they don't ever talk about that in the 1985 present, but at least there's the understanding between them that yeah, Marty did indeed know younger Doc in 1955, and was there for about a week.

But yeah, when mfitz then says "So the time-traveling DeLorean doesn't phase you, but the time-traveling paradoxes do", that's when I remember not to delve too deep.  Just enjoy them for the (mostly) fun movies that they are.

And on that note, always got a kick out of 1985 Hilldale (considered to be upscale at the time) is considered dangerous and is looking a bit worse-for-wear by 2015.  I've seen some areas like that where I live, but if anything, going the OTHER way...Somerville NJ has really become a cool place to hang, solid nightlife, etc...had a COMPLETELY different vibe in the mid-80s (it was pretty meh, not that much to do, just kinda there).  Much MUCH nicer now.   

yeah obviously lol

I could defend that a bit though. It's still seeing someone for a few days, then 30 years goes. I'm 37, so if i would have interacted with a person for a few days when i was 7. I'd likely not remember their faces. I mean there's a few girls i hooked up with like one evening in my early 20s that i absolutely do not remember what they look like or even their names lol Also if its your kid, you see your kid everyday and his growth becomes who that person is. I mean show this picture attached below to a bunch of people and they won't even know its Michael haha

Or people like... coaches, teachers, people who worked at stores i went to my entire childhood, people from highschool. I remember "them" but i don't remember their faces at all. Or i might see someone that looks familiar but i have no idea where i know them from.

i mean, obviously, same name and everything, you have to just accept it in the movie but its not that bad either. 

show-photo.thumb.jpg.7c02286c6c90d3cb8749cd69a5a23276.jpg