Devils Getting a Black Third Jersey

Chimaira_Devil_#9

44 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Frechette and Brodeur were the driving forces behind the jersey's design and concept, although many inside the organization, along with executives from Adidas and the NHL, contributed to the process.

And it was a process.

"When you're in a market for almost 40 years without a third jersey, then you have to get it right," Frechette said. "There were a lot of details that we sweated over. Jerseys are really special, for both the players and the fans. Sometimes [fans] can be overwhelmingly in love, some fans will be ambivalent and some fans will take a little longer [to like it]. But we believe that most of our fans will love it, and grow to really cherish it."

Bolded: Oh interesting. They asked empty suits in the team office, and the Adidas officials, and the NHL officials but never bothered to consult any fans.

And the last few sentences. Eww. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

They act like we are an org. that has no history of its own, so let's look back to other low level (irrelevant) teams that have played in the state over the years.  I can see Seattle or Vegas doing something like this, not a team with 40 years of history and 3 Stanley Cup wins.

Just sayin' Seattle won the cup in 1917.  And Las Vegas started the hockey trend with Vegas😄

56 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Well you really nailed this one after just 3 years on the job you Canadian empty suit hack.

Her quotes are just...so...corporate hack.  No, you DIDN'T get it right.  Not even close.  Not only are there countless fan concepts that are better...I'm guessing that, if your Jersey jersey was given to fans to improve upon, even with the rule that the "Jersey" script crest must remain, that many of them would come up with a better final product. 

45 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Screenshot_20211123-150733_Twitter.thumb.jpg.e8e5e505e3b50a77b2fb6d1f566c4721.jpg

Just adding more red helps. 

I'd start with the original Jersey jersey template, and fill in all of the black stripes with red, on the socks and sleeves...keep the red lower hem on the jersey, as pictured above.  I think I might just ditch any shoulder trim or stripes at all...the only thing I think I might put up there is the same classic Devils logo that appears on the pants, and put one on each shoulder.

Like the small "New" over "Jersey".  It's subtle enough that those who like the "Jersey" will still see that part of it front-and-center.

• Like 2

Just now, capo said:

I hate this thing but why wouldn't they use the J Marty had on his helmet? I don't mind the black striping. If they used the regular logo all would have been fine.

I'd rather not have everything in this franchise centered around that adulterer.  He already screwed up enough with this design.

I know the team represents the state, but I left the state and I wasn't a fan. I don't want the state to represent the team. The whole "Jersey" thing is stupid. Put the DEVILS logo on the front. We're the DEVILS. A huge amount of people in the state cheer for NY or PHL teams anyway....

Can anyone give me a TL;DR of the twitter reactions? I don't have a twitter and refuse to get one, but I want to know what people are saying.

Edited by NJDevils1214

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Anyone else TERRIFIED with the massive emphasis of “The New Era” that they’re going to continue with the overhaul and completely fvck up our brand in the near future?

Cause I know I am. 

I do have a feeling that we're getting a serious uniform redesign within 2-3 years.  And that it will look nothing like anything that we've seen before.  And that they're going to miss the mark horribly, because it's obvious that those who are making these decisions are doing so from a corporate bubble that isn't based on any research or fan input.  That Frechette idiot actually thinks most fans are going to grow to love this black jersey.  Could she be any more out of touch?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Anyone else TERRIFIED with the massive emphasis of “The New Era” that they’re going to continue with the overhaul and completely fvck up our brand in the near future?

Cause I know I am. 

You mean a name change? Because if that happened I would cancel my season tickets and be done with watching. Changing the name of a team that has won 3 Cups and all the history we have is basically the only deal breaker that I have besides them somehow increasing the prices of my tickets to something unaffordable. 

The fan base would be basically united on their outrage over a name change. I just don't see it happening. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do have a feeling that we're getting a serious uniform redesign within 2-3 years.  And that it will look nothing like anything that we've seen before.  And that they're going to miss the mark horribly, because it's obvious that those who are making these decisions are doing so from a corporate bubble that isn't based on any research or fan input.  That Frechette idiot actually thinks most fans are going to grow to love this black jersey.  Could she be any more out of touch?  

She probably thinks the below is our core demographic.

New Jersey Devils Hockey Tank – Bench Clearers

• Angry 1

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

You mean a name change? Because if that happened I would cancel my season tickets and be done with watching. Changing the name of a team that has won 3 Cups and all the history we have is basically the only deal breaker that I have besides them somehow increasing the prices of my tickets to something unaffordable. 

The fan base would be basically united on their outrage over a name change. I just don't see it happening. 

I think he was driving at a uniform re-design, not a name change.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I know the team represents the state, but I left the state and I wasn't a fan. I don't want the state to represent the team. The whole "Jersey" thing is stupid. Put the DEVILS logo on the front. We're the DEVILS. A huge amount of people in the state cheer for NY or PHL teams anyway....

Can anyone give me a TL;DR of the twitter reactions? I don't have a twitter and refuse to get one, but I want to know what people are saying.

I mean I get trying to pursue a marketing angle of NJ pride, but this jersey is over the top. Not to mention folks like you aren’t even in NJ. We have fans from NYC, as well. Why alienate them?

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am still going to get a gamer, because as some people may say, I cannot help myself.

I am a total hypocrite.

I can definitely help myself, heh heh.

The more I think about it...since this Jersey jersey is going for a much oldern-day look...I wouldn't mind a more "primitive" version of the Devils' current crest on the front...one that just has an older 40-50s feel to it, but is still recognizable...one that would look like it had to evolve into what it became in the 80s.  Maybe the whole logo could be skinnier?  Some of the edges less straight?  I would love to see a fan rendering of that.  

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

I mean I get trying to pursue a marketing angle of NJ pride, but this jersey is over the top. Not to mention folks like you aren’t even in NJ. We have fans from NYC, as well. Why alienate them?

The Rangers have put New York on their jerseys and they have tons of fans who live in NJ. I think "Jersey's team" is a good slogan, I'd just rather see "New Jersey" on the front than just "Jersey" 

• Like 2