Devils Getting a Black Third Jersey

Chimaira_Devil_#9

7 minutes ago, Rock said:

It was fun and cheap.  Since I lived about 10 minutes away from the sports complex no hassle to get to.  The kids seemed to like it.  Lime green with a musical staff and a guy in sunglasses playing a guitar, how did the Devils miss incorporating those features into the their "Jersey" Jersey?😎

One of my great teenage regrets was not getting one of those jerseys from the old Eastbay catalog. 

53 minutes ago, Rock said:

It was fun and cheap.  Since I lived about 10 minutes away from the sports complex no hassle to get to.  The kids seemed to like it.  Lime green with a musical staff and a guy in sunglasses playing a guitar, how did the Devils miss incorporating those features into the their "Jersey" Jersey?😎

I remember the jerseys...and that the goalies at one point were Daniel Berthiaume and Manon Rheaume (Pascal's sis).  That's when it really felt like roller hockey could truly become a thing, as far as watching a pro league went.  I lived in Clifton at the time, and we got a flyer for the RHI (and for the Rockin Rollers)...they were really trying to push themselves as being more exciting than the NHL, due to more open space with the 4-on-4, the higher scoring, etc...and of course, relatively inexpensive tickets.  Really wish I'd gone to some games.   

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I remember a few were on the old SportsChannel and my 13-14 year old self thought it was great. High scoring from what I recall. I have no idea what I would think of it these days. 

Hey…. Speaking of this roller hockey, does anyone remember Pro Beach Hockey? The 90s were fun

29A8D6C4-031C-4BE4-89CA-1F09E5B672DC.jpeg.036a415aed0ba0374245839f1d38fa20.jpeg

I remember watching that on ESPN back in the mid 90's.  I believe one of the team names was Salsa and I think another one was Voodoo.

There is a guy in the game worn hobby who specifically collects game worns from Pro Beach Hockey lol.

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Nothing i could say will make you love it if you don't. However, if you bring up technical aspects saying that it's wrong or amateur because there's breaks, that i will step in and  point out that it's totally fine and often necessary to have breaks between letters when using a script font cause depending on the letters being next to each other it might make it harder to read or confusing. Depending on the font, an n may look like an m if there's 2 in a row or 2 n may look like a w or just look weird. An o and and l may look like a d, etc etc

So as a designer you have to look at the letters and make creative decisions to make sure it's easy to read. So you might have to tweak things or have breaks here and here. Also as a major rule the capital letter very very very rarely connected with the rest of the word. 

You also don't have to trust what im saying but just off the top of my head just look at the Fender logo, look at the Kellogg's logo, Ray Ban, Nicole Miller, Sharpie. In all those ones, if you'd connect all the letters it would look weird. And also the capital letter is not connected to the rest in any of them.

Well I do have an opinion but i don't believe my professional credentials would/should have any sort of impact on anyone's opinion.

On top of design/art being highly subjective, we live in a world where people will simply believe what they want to believe literally no matter what, even in somewhat objective fields where professionals are not always seeing eye to eye on subjects. People will just trust the one professional that happens to align with what they want to believe haha You just know that everywhere there's biased mechanics pushing their personal "GM vs Ford" bullsh!t opinions on their clients haha

I personally think there's nothing objectively ugly on that jersey, there's also nothing objectively creative about it, but looks like its not what they were going for. Most criticism comes from people not getting what they wanted, mostly, and it's not that unfair either. We all feel like most fan concepts we've seen through the years would have been great. I think we're the only 2 guys who kind of like or at least don't mind the new jersey. If this was our new official jersey i'd be upset cause it would take over the other one with something i feel is subpar, but this is an alternate that they'll only wear a few times, so i just don't care that much, every teams is dealing with this. Like everyone i prefer the one you did or just about any of the black concepts ive seen. But this is what we got.

You're right in general I'm sure of it. I just don't think to many people will look at it through the insight you just laid out full of technical reasons on how they may have landed where they did.

But I'm not sure what confusion could be had connecting a J and an E and then a S and an E. We're not talking about N, M's etc.  For every Fender where there's a break I could find a Johnson and Johnson, Cadillac etc. If they were committed to script why something so pee-wee/amateurish? Again it's all opinions.

I think they just made an awful choice, I think the backstory of Marty even being involved in the design if it's true explains why it misses the mark in my eyes, it's not his area of expertise.  It's essentially the equivalent of a minor league club doing a hey design our next Jersey promo, that's what this result reeks of to me.

However, on the plus side it makes me respect the traditional red and whites even more.  I will no longer opine for a 3rd black alternate.  I will cringe when they where it like I do the greens. I will still hope like hell they take the two points, that's the bottom line.

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

You're right in general I'm sure of it. I just don't think to many people will look at it through the insight you just laid out full of technical reasons on how they may have landed where they did.

But I'm not sure what confusion could be had connecting a J and an E and then a S and an E. We're not talking about N, M's etc.  For every Fender where there's a break I could find a Johnson and Johnson, Cadillac etc. If they were committed to script why something so pee-wee/amateurish? Again it's all opinions.

I think they just made an awful choice, I think the backstory of Marty even being involved in the design if it's true explains why it misses the mark in my eyes, it's not his area of expertise.  It's essentially the equivalent of a minor league club doing a hey design our next Jersey promo, that's what this result reeks of to me.

However, on the plus side it makes me respect the traditional red and whites even more.  I will no longer opine for a 3rd black alternate.  I will cringe when they where it like I do the greens. I will still hope like hell they take the two points, that's the bottom line.

I'll say it again, no technical thing i could point out or say would change someone's opinion if they like something or not. So you're right but i also precisely what my post was about.

I also never said that in this specific case that s would look confusing. I said that seeing breaks in script fonts is a normal thing and doesn't mean it's amateur or wrong. That's the takeaway. It's very subjective. 

As for this specific font. It could work to link it. I'm not going to make it perfect cause i don't care enough to spend any time on this. But if it was linked, you'd have to make sure the link and the inside of the e is a continuous line and smooth. I just slapped it together now so it's not aligned or following a fluid line, but it gives an idea.

Fact is even if the s and the e were indeed connected. It wouldn't make a single person who don't like it suddenly like it. So this is just piling up on something like when people dont like a movie and they just keep digging for plot holes that they would have willingly overlooked if they connected with the movie

Someone said it could have been cool to add a devils tail to the end of the y and i agree it would make it way cooler but they didn't

647016385_ScreenShot2021-11-24at4_11_10PM.thumb.png.6bb41d358413ab604c9866d12e82cc55.png

Edited by SterioDesign

They were shooting for pop culture based on the article somebody posted yesterday.  This would be the perfect add if somebody could photoshop the Jersey on them. #Winning

Snoop Dog up next stoned off his ass at one of the award shows. 

k0jv72aAyyu5j9XcEMGAH6BTrUgyRRrXttaY0Lul

Edited by titans04

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know some people don't like this but I love it, it's the only way our fan base can really get their point across besides not spending money on it... 

If anyone cared about the fan base’s opinion, these jerseys wouldn’t exist. Boo it all you want, nobody will care and nothing will change. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If anyone cared about the fan base’s opinion, these jerseys wouldn’t exist. Boo it all you want, nobody will care and nothing will change. 

I agree nothing will change but I still enjoy those clueless suits hear their things get sh!t on. I'm not going to games for awhile so I'm glad someone's doing my booing for me lol

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I agree nothing will change but I still enjoy those clueless suits hear their things get sh!t on. I'm not going to games for awhile so I'm glad someone's doing my booing for me lol

Well I’m totally in favor of sh!tting on people for their choices lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Well I’m totally in favor of sh!tting on people for their choices lol. 

Also booing does work once in awhile, it got our goal song changed when the fans booed that lol it obviously won't work for these and these will be around for awhile unless sales bomb really bad which they probably won't either. Like the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute lol

Also for any of the sneaker fans with lots of money, check out these for charity... 

https://www.nicekicks.com/new-jersey-devils-adidas-third-jersey-release-date/?amp

38 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also booing does work once in awhile, it got our goal song changed when the fans booed that lol it obviously won't work for these and these will be around for awhile unless sales bomb really bad which they probably won't either. Like the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute lol

Also for any of the sneaker fans with lots of money, check out these for charity... 

https://www.nicekicks.com/new-jersey-devils-adidas-third-jersey-release-date/?amp

I thought I was being set up for a sneaker labeled “Sneaker”. 

Huge difference between changing the goal song and abandoning a third jersey that has a ton of money sunk into it. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I thought I was being set up for a sneaker labeled “Sneaker”. 

Huge difference between changing the goal song and abandoning a third jersey that has a ton of money sunk into it. 

Absolutely agree that's why I said the only chance these will go away sooner is if sales bomb big time, but really don't see that happening either. Although with that picture that @Devil Dan 56 posted showing a sh!t ton of PK jerseys, I don't know who is buying all those lol