GDT: Wild on the way to Devils

Chimaira_Devil_#9

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think one thing is abundantly clear from all of the near misses. 

@NJDfan1711cost us a point lol. 

You could very much make the argument that by me jumping back into this thread and fulfilling my obligation, that I'm the very reason we got at least one point out of this. I will redeem myself by making the game day thread on Friday. 

Also, our coaching staff putting defenders not only in the shootout lineup, but as the opening shooter in the shootout is just downright stupid. I get why they did it with Severson several weeks ago after he was coming off that terrible game and then had a nice winner, so that isolated incident made sense, but you can't just put defenders in the shootout simply because they had a halfway decent game in the three periods prior to OT. If they were fvcking snipers or danglers then they would be forwards. But they're not, they're defenseman for a reason. You have a lot of skilled forwards and young guys with dekeing ability on your roster. fvcking use them. 

If I see another defenseman take a shootout opportunity before Hischier, Mercer, Vesey or Zacha, I'm gonna lose it.. 

33 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If I see another defenseman take a shootout opportunity before Hischier, Mercer, Vesey or Zacha, I'm gonna lose it.. 

It’s not a good argument. Hamilton is 53% in the shootout, he’s 10th best in the history of the shootout among guys with at least 10 attempts. That’s not the guy you want taking the shot??

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You could very much make the argument that by me jumping back into this thread and fulfilling my obligation, that I'm the very reason we got at least one point out of this. I will redeem myself by making the game day thread on Friday. 

Also, our coaching staff putting defenders not only in the shootout lineup, but as the opening shooter in the shootout is just downright stupid. I get why they did it with Severson several weeks ago after he was coming off that terrible game and then had a nice winner, so that isolated incident made sense, but you can't just put defenders in the shootout simply because they had a halfway decent game in the three periods prior to OT. If they were fvcking snipers or danglers then they would be forwards. But they're not, they're defenseman for a reason. You have a lot of skilled forwards and young guys with dekeing ability on your roster. fvcking use them. 

Dude we explained this last time, many times before, and i was under the impression that fans knew this.

You truly don't appear to know how coaches pick guys for shootouts. They practice shootouts all year long in team practices. Coach knows how well players are doing at it. They 100% keep track of that and they will send whoever is doing good in practice and in real games SO. Sometimes players will have a good game and it might bump them up the rankings a bit. But they don't just go and pick defenders for the sake of it. Its because those guys PROVED that they should be there with their results.

I don't mean to be insulting but it's just very appalling to see fans make comments like this that are 100% fuelled by ignorance and bad arguments 

Edited by SterioDesign

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

Start with the bad: 

Jesper Bratt. Just, that’s it, jesper bratt. He made a nice play on the tying goal but until that point he was the sole solitary reason the Devils didn’t blow the Wild out of the building. On the 5-on-3, he made 6 passes. You can go back and check, the number was 6. 1 of them was to Dougie Hamilton. The other FIVE PASSES were those “this has to be a goal” passes; the wild left Zacha short side alone and five CONSECUTIVE times Jesper Bratt fired a pass at his feet or at his off-side. That was an inexcusably bad execution and lends more and more affirmation to the fact that you can blame the coaches for as much as you want, but when the players don’t execute it means nada. 

PK Subban is stupendously slow. He had a fine game but I’m 80% sure I could beat him off the line. 

McLeod and Kuokkonen are seemingly avoiding Ruff’s doghouse, but they are useless hockey players making useless plays. Every time the Devils were buried in their own zone, one (or both) of these bozos were on the ice. 

When is Tatar going to make his season debut? Excited to see him out there.

Officiating seems anecdotally like the refs have money on the team facing the devils every night. I’m sure all fans feel that way about their team, but the 2nd period tonight was horrendous. The Devils DOMINATED the ice from wire to wire in that period but Minnesota got the calls. Several missed penalties on Minnesota, and some ticky tack nonsense on NJ. Figure your sh!t out, NHL. 

the good; 

Dawson Mercer, Dawson Mercer, Dawson my fvcking God Mercer. I don’t know how to describe him as a player. I see a little bit of a young Panarin in his play making abilities. I see a lot of a young Elias in his ability to be smart in his own end and creative in the o-zone. Gun to my head if I have to make a comparison? Brad Marchand if Marchand didn’t have CTE spilling out of his nose twice a week at dinner. His 200-foot game is astounding for a player of his age. He’s the energizer bunny, he’s capable of playing every single role, he’s got great hands and there is a negative chance anyone will outwork him or outhustle him. I’m getting a jersey. 

Nico had his best game of the year by far. He’s been getting into the mix a little bit lately and I love it. That’s what you want to see.

Pavel Zacha shoot hockey puck hard and fast and make me go weee.

Dougie and Gravy continue to impress. What a difference they make.  

Last comment: if you were in the building tonight I owe you a beer. What an atmosphere, especially for a wednesday (yeah i know tomorrow is thanksgiving). Playoff atmosphere from the puck drop. “Let’s go Devils” chants when the team needed them, down 2-0. The “casual” (more casual than us fvckin losers) fans are starting to fall in love with this team and it’s about to be a beautiful marriage. 

Meh, fine, one more comment: the Devils win 2 playoff series next year. They’re at the foot of the oven, just need a little more salt and pepper and they’ll be ready. This season isn’t over and I really think they’ve got a great chance at some playoff hockey this year, but this off-season will be one that dictates the future of the team. Lots of moves to be made. 

Well, as long as they don’t completely sh!t the bed over the next 4 weeks like we’re preprogrammed to expect, I’m excited as hell to attend the game on the 23rd. Especially for that last point.

Funny thing is if the Devils had gone 4-0 in shootouts instead of 1-3, they’d be 11-5-1.  And we’d probably be making them sound like they’re much better than they are.

And that’s what I’ve really come to hate about shootouts…how it can distort a team’s record a bit, due to some random skills competition that no GM is ever taking into account when he’s building his team.  I can live with ties.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not a good argument. Hamilton is 53% in the shootout, he’s 10th best in the history of the shootout among guys with at least 10 attempts. That’s not the guy you want taking the shot??

Not to mention that Hischier has NEVER converted on a shootout attempt.

Yeah, you have a guy who’s shooting 53%, you put him out there.  Doesn’t matter what position he plays.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not to mention that Hischier has NEVER converted on a shootout attempt.

Yeah, you have a guy who’s shooting 53%, you put him out there.  Doesn’t matter what position he plays.

You wouldn't think someone who can score goals like this would be so bad at it. 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

You wouldn't think someone who can score goals like this would be so bad at it. 

I'm guessing that it must be psychological and not something to do with skill. Someone was mentioning the other day that Jagr didn't like them either. 

Less related....I scored on a breakaway the other night in my game then lost the puck in the shootout. I suck all around though 🤣

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny thing is if the Devils had gone 4-0 in shootouts instead of 1-3, they’d be 11-5-1.  And we’d probably be making them sound like they’re much better than they are.

And that’s what I’ve really come to hate about shootouts…how it can distort a team’s record a bit, due to some random skills competition that no GM is ever taking into account when he’s building his team.  I can live with ties.  

Funny thing is most people don't whine as much about them either when we win lol